Best Macbook Hard Drive under $200?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jj1987, Feb 16, 2008.

1. jj1987 macrumors newbie

I'd like to get a new hard drive for my macbook. It's the 13in white with the 120gb 5400rpm drive. I know it has to be 2.5 sata, I was just wondering, what's the best mix of battery life, performance, and size currently available?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

3. jj1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wouldn't I notice a fairly heavy speed increase by going to the 7200rpm drives?

4. djellison macrumors 68020

With a smaller drive, maybe ( not a heavy increase, that's for sure ) but for a larger drive, you've not going to notice the difference. The 'seek' time for a 5400 is typically 12ms. For a 7200, 10 or 11ms. Its not a difference you would even notice without side-by-side comparisons.

Personally ( and I've done this three times ) I'd get a 250gb WD Passport external drive. Crack it open - take the drive out of your MB, put it in the passports enclosure, put the 250gb in your MB, and bingo - upgrade AND a backup drive.

Doug

5. toddngina macrumors member

I was thinking of getting the WD 320 GB external 2.5 and cracking it open and swapping drives. How involved is this? Just a couple of screws? Obviously the "donor" drive warranty is now ivalid, but that's OK.

Thx

6. freitas macrumors member

Definitely go with the WD 320 Gb Scorpio (Passport). I did the upgrade on my MBP last week. Even though the Scorpio is a 5400 rpm drive, you will get faster transfer rates due to the higher data density.

Best of Luck!

7. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

I recently went from the 120GB/5400RPM drive to the 200GB/7200RPM. Probably a bit of a performance improvement but were I to do it over again, I'd go with the 320GB/5400RPM. Also fyi, I haven't noticed any increased noise, heat, or battery drain with the 7200RPM drive.

8. djellison macrumors 68020

Opening the Passport drive involves popping a screwdriver around the edge to separate the gloss lid with the base. There's some nasty pulling involved, and those typical "OMFG IT'S BROKEN" crack noises as the snap parts come apart, but I've done it a dozen times without any problems.

I can pop something on YouTube if you would like.

Doug

9. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

That would be awesome. Also, if you do could you PM me the link? Thank you!

10. AndyFL macrumors regular

People have any comments on 5400 vs 7200rpm? Pros/cons of each? Thanks

11. freitas macrumors member

Already been done. Finding this video saved me ripping of the pads to check for screws.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdWKNQHLTmw&feature=related

12. djforge macrumors newbie

I also did the passport swap, it was pretty painless and took about 15 minutes tops. the hardest part was getting the passport case off

13. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I did it on my MBP and benchmarked it before and after. Quite honestly, I don't think it's worth the trouble unless you're using an app that has to access the HD regularly. Even then, you're talking milliseconds.

I use my MBP for video editing in the field, and while processor power is more of an issue for this, I didn't see a noticeable difference between the two.

I plan on putting a larger drive in my MBP later this year, and I'll go with a 5400 RPM drive.

MacDann

14. Dfndr90 macrumors regular

Dfndr90

The Western Digital 320 GB passport is 149.99 at Best Buy right now.

Matt...

15. azdude macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tips, guys --- I can't believe a 320GB external drive is available for $150 when the bare drive itself is $180. That's just not typically how it turns out.

I'm excited -- I'll get an *excellent* enclosure and a new massive internal drive for a good price.

16. toddngina macrumors member

Sold out now. :(

17. djellison macrumors 68020

That Youtube vid has it about right. Only thing to mention is that the first time you try it - it's a lot harder ( and scarier ) than the others.

Once you've done it - hell - why not customize the plastic lid :) This one I did for my other half, so I can tell her Pport from mine.

Attached Files:

18. azdude macrumors 6502

Check for in-store availability... the 5 stores near me all still have stock -- I'm going to go pick one up after work.

19. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

The ones around me have it, too.

Does this have a 9.5" cm SATA notebook drive in it? I ask because I would love to buy one, swap the drive into my MBP, and use the enclosure for the one I take out of the MBP.

I checked out the detailed specs on WD's Web site, but they don't go into the specifics of what drive is in it. However, based on the size of the enclosure, it's got to be a 2.5" drive, I just don't know what the height is.

MacDann

20. toddngina macrumors member

Yeah, but the website says the sale prices are online only. No store over here in Baghdad anyway!

21. azdude macrumors 6502

Sorry about the Baghdad issue, but the price is available in store this week --- it's in the published Sunday advertisement.

22. azdude macrumors 6502

That's exactly what we're proposing, and what many have already done.

It's a 9.5 mm 2.5" SATA drive, perfect for the MBP. The enclosure is compatible with your existing drive as well.

23. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Sorry - I caught this thread halfway through....

Thanks!

MacDann