Best Magazine?

volntitan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Hey Folks....

New "Mac"ey here....now that I have 2 Macs in the house I wanted to subscribe to a magazine. Which is considered the best one? Not for a huge technophile, but one that gives good tips for home use and such.

Thanks!!!

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I've never read MacAddict, but I've found that MacWorld (the magazine and their online version) to be a great read, for techies and nontechies alike. Good stuff!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I subscribe to both MacAddict and MacWorld. They are both good magazines. With MacAddict you will receive a free CD each month, has a lot of sample software and games.

volntitan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Never heard of iCreate....will have to look and see if it is in the local bookstore to give it a try. (BTW, Stateside Mags).

Also have iPods, so a mag that has some info on them would be great also.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
I can't name a single good Mac magazine -- or PC magazine, for that matter. Its all formula writing and editing.

Being in the magazine business myself, all I can say is "eegads" to b-2-b magazines and their tech siblings.

punkbass25

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
i haven't read a macworld in a while, but they used to bore me to death, i currently get mac addict, and while its good, it used to be alot better. the Wit and style of writing used to be the best around in my opinion, but recently they've started to mirror macworld a little more...

wozzlewoozle

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2005
sarkoland
I guess Macworld is probably the better written publication, the number of typos in Mac addict is ridiculous sometimes. Although Mac Addict is generally funnier, and I used to love it when they used the glossier heavier weight paper.

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
i'm also a mac newby once in a while i pick up both macworld and mac addict. i prefer macworld over mac addict it seems to me that macworld has a little bit more info. but they are both decent mags. if in doubt just subscribe to both of them.

sw1tcher

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
I used to subscribe to MacWorld and MacUser (it later merged with MacWorld). I currently subscribe to Mac Addict.

MacWorld started to get boring and most of the magazine was just ads so I later switched to Mac Addict

Mac Addict had been good for a while, but the quality of the articles and the amount of useful info has been lacking lately. I recently picked up a copy of MacWorld at a book store and found that the writing and info in the magazine has improved quite a bit and am now starting to think it's better than Mac Addict. Of course, I'll have to check out a few more issues before making a final decision, but I may subscribe to them again and just let my subscription to Mac Addict lapse.

As for Mac Home, I never really liked them. But I'll have to pick up an issue to see what they have to offer.

If you're considering subscribing to any of them, get your subscription through eBay. Way cheaper.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
I got a free subscription to Mac World when I bought my eMac. I think they are a really good magazine and very informative.

I will definitely be renewing my subscription when the time comes.

Kerry Sanders

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Hayden, AL
ozone said:
I've found MacWorld to be better than MacAddict in general.
I just received my first issue of MacAddict yesterday, so I have not had a chance to look at it as of yet. I do have MacWorld as well and I can say that it excellent.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
I have been a suscriber of MacAddict Magazine for about 1 year- Highly Recommended!!! MacWorld would probably also be a great choice. Your best bet is to get both ;).

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Mac World, though if I can, I just read them instore. Saves more money.

I seem to find that I get much more information online, especially places such as this one...:D

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
iCreate is without a doubt the best magazine, but at $15 an issue, or $150 a year subscription, MacWorld or MacAddict sounds much more reasonable. I don't have a preference between the two, they are both good magazines.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
MacAddict all the way. I enjoy if very much.

Go Spiffy! (I think that it the guy's name. If not, I have no clue where I got that from :) )

sourcemonkey

macrumors regular
JackSYi said:
iCreate is without a doubt the best magazine, but at $15 an issue, or $150 a year subscription, MacWorld or MacAddict sounds much more reasonable. I don't have a preference between the two, they are both good magazines.
what is this 'iCreate' that you speak of? (i'll google it)

iCreate is the most stylish Macintosh magazine ever created. Aimed at new home Mac users, iCreate takes you through the main Apple programs – iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, iPhoto, iCal, Safari and Mail, as well as OS X itself. In-depth beginners' tutorials, features on new Mac hardware, and of course the self indulgence of iCandy... You want it.
(i don't like the site much, and "the most stylish Macintosh magazine ever created" sounds a bit OTT but i'll check it out if i find it)

yeah these mags seem pretty expensive so i tend to just save money by using the internet. if i have time to kill in the city, i sometimes just flick through the magazines 'on-shelf'.

Lance Uppercut

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2005
If anyone's concerned with the price of the magazines, you can buy third-party subscriptions - but without the additional CDs.

I know a few people who use www.bestdealmagazines.com as a place to buy mags (I heard of them from the Maximum PC forums). I've got 5 subscriptions going with them currently, and haven't had any problems so far.

If anyone wants to try it, there's also a coupon code TECHBAR15 that saves you an additional 15%. As far as I know, it's been active for at least a year, and worked just a few minutes ago when I signed up for MacAddict and Macworld.