Best Mail App?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Daniel97, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

OXS Lion Mail
    Sparrow
    Postbox

Anybody have any recommendations?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like both the delivered Mail.app but also postbox.

By the way search the forums, there are a number of threads regarding mail apps.

3. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

IM literally about to part my monies for an app but so undecided.

I use Gmail now - however i have an old hotmail account which is currently synced to my mail for occasional mail i may have missed.

I also have a business email coming from 123reg.co.uk which directs emails from my website. Again thats POP.

I know sparrow is only gmail which i guess i could live with and use my mail.app when im desperate to check my hotmail ..

on the other hand lion mail is nice but not great - dont know what the buttons do - no labels - looks ugly lalala

postbox .. never used it :S

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Postbox gives you a trial, download that and see if it suits your needs

5. Daniel97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

just had a go with that - not a fan im afraid ..

not sure whether or not i should try sparrow :( its £7 wasted if its crap lol

6. gtcaz macrumors newbie

Sparrow definitely isn't crap. It's nicely integrated with Gmail (more so than Mail.app 5) and has a light footprint. I'd go with that if you're primarily using Gmail and don't need all the OS integration Mail.app provides.

7. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

I use mail. I tried outlook for a while but it didn't do well keeping folders synced.

8. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I use Mail and like it. But, I don't like the redesigned Mail for Lion. Make sure to switch it to classic view. :)

9. mmduluth macrumors regular

10. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I've been using Mail because I like the features that it has, and probably be happier if it had less features. I like having an avatar next to an email title.

11. kasakka macrumors 68000

The Mail in OSX Lion is quite good.

Otherwise I'd use Gmail via Fluid as its own app. The OP should really just have the other webmails forwarded to his main account so he can just use Gmail.

Not a fan of Sparrow. Stupid Facebook crap, poorly done threaded view.

12. cbronfman macrumors 6502

Replacement for Entourage?

I have 7 years of folders in my Entourage mail (MS Office), so I need a mail app that allows for folders and sub-folders. I used a script to export all the folders yesterday into a UNIX format. Mail imported the few I tried without a hitch, but I don't like the way the folders work under Mail. They appear as Import 1 with the sub-folder having the name of the folder I imported. Do I have any other options other than buying Outlook? (Entourage works fine for now, but I'm nervous about the fact that Office 2008 is not supported on Lion so were I ever to need to reinstall it, I would not be able to). My database is close to 7G (my approach may seem inefficient, but it works for me as an electronic file cabinet).

13. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I love the new Mail.app in Lion and I use it with three Exchange accounts. It works very well.

14. cbronfman macrumors 6502

How are you organizing your folders/sub-folders or do you not use folders?

15. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I use a lot of one-level deep folders and some two-level deep folders. Mail.app allows you to do that. I have attached a screenshot.

Attached Files:

16. cbronfman macrumors 6502

I have folders in Mail - but I haven't been able to import my existing folders from Entourage as neatly - as I said, they are under "Import 1", "Import 2" etc.

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Yes, but you can copy the mails and folders to another mailbox, right?

18. cbronfman macrumors 6502

OH - yes I can - just did. Then deleted the now empty "Import #" folders. No excuses, I just needed your encouragement apparently.
    Thank you so much. I'm happy. Now I like Mail.

19. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Glad that I could help :)

20. stockcerts macrumors 65816

Ever since the last OS upgrade I've not enjoyed Mail on my Mac. So much so that I now tend to do my mail from my iPad.

I'm going to check out some Mail alternatives on my Mac this weekend.

21. fastmax macrumors member

Lion Mail for now. Especially if you use an iCloud account for your email. Even though the current version of Mail is still rough around the edges, no other email client has complete integration with iCloud. Hopefully with new updates to Mail it will become more solid.

22. MaximusMaxx macrumors newbie

Help Anyone! Entourage has crashed and I can't rebuild the DB

Hello:
    I'm new to this community site.
    I've been using a 3-year old Intel iMac and Entourage for email.
    Last night, the iMac got very slow, and I closed all apps and restarted.
    However, now I can't open Entourage.
    I get a message that says I need to 'Verify the DB' and a button to press. I've done this twice (takes about an hour) and while a backup was created, I get he same error when trying to startup Entourage each time.
    I'd be fine with switching to Postbox or Mail as many of you have recommended below, but does anyone know how I can import files from the Entourage app so I can access my inbox, folders, addresses, etc.
    I'm in them middle of interviews for a new job, and this could not have come at a worse time.
    I do own the AirPort backup device which I also use for wireless WiFi if that helps with any suggestions.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me advice.
    Maximus:confused: