Best Messanger Bag for 13" Unibody MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StBDawg, Feb 16, 2010.

1. StBDawg macrumors regular

I wanna get a messanger bag to carry my 13" Unibody MBP in. I have a black Incase neoprene sleeve already so I don't really need it to be super cushiony. I just want to be able to carry my Macbook, the power cord, and a few accessories like my iPod Touch, Magic Mouse, maybe a notepad and some pens.

2. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I'd like to know this too, only mine will be a 17"

3. FoxDavis macrumors regular

Try these, http://www.tombihn.com/

Made in Seattle and I love my Empire builder. You can even stuff your kitchen sink in the thing! :)

4. FoxDavis macrumors regular

My Empire builder will fit a 17" and they also sell a sleeve that clips in so it's not going anywhere. Here is the sleeve;
    http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0300

5. StBDawg thread starter macrumors regular

I should add, I kinda want something stylish. I've seen some cool looking Crumpler bags on here but none are on the US Website to purchase.

6. FoxDavis macrumors regular

If the Tom Bihn's are a little boring then try these out. Great bag and I see them everywhere.
    http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/messenger/

7. vant macrumors 65816

8. FoxDavis macrumors regular

Tom Bihn bags?

Does Anyone have one of these Horizontal Brain Cell?

Once I get my hands on the MBP then I will look to get one because I have a Tom Bihn bag but spending $60 might be a lot for a laptop sleeve.

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/300/TB0300

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

10. lcs101 macrumors regular

+1

I never thought I could justify spending more than $30 on a messenger bag (from places like Marshall's or Ross) until I bought my first Timbuk2. Now I would never buy anything else--not that I'll need to by another bag anytime soon with how long Timbuk2 bags last.

11. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

The Empire Builder is pretty expensive and for that price, you can buy better cases and have a bit of money put aside.

Brenthaven has some similar loking ones, but I like Jansport too. I admit, their messenger bags are not for everybody.

12. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Why don't you want a traditional back bag? There are so many nice ones on the market and they might protect your laptop better. Messenger bags tend to hit door frames and all sorts of things.

Brenthaven and Swissgear would be my choice.

13. Ramunas macrumors member

14. Ann P macrumors 68020

Thanks for the timbuk link. Looks like they have a variety to choose from. :)

15. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

Don't forget Crumpler and Booq. I have both and I really like them.

16. FoxDavis macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

The reason I went with Tom Bihn is that I live in Seattle and they are made right in down town. That's cool, also I wanted something different, I do have a backpack bag by Sumdex which is very sweet! But since I have a Tom now, just looking to see who has the horizontal sleeve for it.

I like the Booq's as well so I am still thinking what to get. New bag or just update the sleeve...... We'll see!

17. MetalPhreak macrumors newbie

18. Gabrielle macrumors newbie

Since you don’t need your messenger bag to have a separate computer sleeve, I suggest you take a look at this bag (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Messenger-Bag_TD-334) from Briggs and Riley’s Transcend collection. Although the style is discontinued, it is being sold on heavy discount right now. The bag has pockets for an iPod, pens, business cards etc. I think it fits your requirements perfectly.

In case you are not too keen on buying a discontinued style, you can also look at the Go Messenger bag (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Go-Messenger-Bag_VB410). This bag also offers maximum organization, but comes with a computer sleeve. However, the sleeve is detachable, so you can always carry the bag without it. Also, the best thing about B&R is their lifetime warranty (http://www.briggs-riley.com/simple-as-that-lifetime-warranty/).

19. samuelmacdaddy macrumors member

im using the Targus Messenger 15.4 inch Bag. and im loving it. only cost £14.99 + £2.50 postage! not sure if you can post links or not?
    google it! its a stunner:D

20. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

21. StBDawg thread starter macrumors regular

I want a messanger bag because I like the way they look. Although I don't really need a laptop compartment I do want to find a bag that has at least a sleeve or divider so my Macbook Pro isn't just sliding around with my other stuff. I really want to find one that has either a velcro or zippered mesh pocket that I can put my AC Adapter in so its not just bouncing around against my Macbook. I really do like the Timbuk2 bags but they are super expensive. My favorite is the 2010 Classic Messenger. I did the custom bag creator and the bag I liked came to $180 after shipping. I wish the pre made bags weren't such hideous colors. Anyone know where I can find a coupon code or promotional code for Timbuk2 to bring the price down? Thanks.

22. .agency macrumors newbie

Chrome bags seem to be very popular these days. They're definitely on the more expensive side, but they are very stylish.

23. badpinoy macrumors regular

24. FoxDavis macrumors regular

Pretty cool bags, and a really cool website. I like them, would have to see them to really determine how cool they really are...

25. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I love Chrome Bags. I've got a Soma and a Citizen. Those seat beat straps/buckles are sweet :D. The Soma is a nice bag, and has a padded section for a laptop. It fits a 15" laptop, but it'll stick out of the padded section a bit (not a huge deal, especially if you use a sleeve too). EDIT: Oh, you mentioned that you have a 13", that'll fit perfectly. Haven't tried putting a laptop in my Citizen bag, but that's not meant for laptops, so it would require a sleeve too. These bags also have a second small cross strap to support the bag if you are on a bike. I also have a chrome shirt, and a pair of chrome shoes... but that's unrelated :p

I don't own one, but thier Buran bag looks pretty good too, and is meant for 15" laptops. Sadly, it lacks the iconic seatbelt buckle :p

Crumpler makes some awesome bags too, but I only own a camera bag by them.