Best Method to Create a Great Personal Website?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Sep 3, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Hi guys,

I've tried the GoDaddy route, purchasing a domain for $9.99 a year, though truthfully was hoping it would be easier to create the actual site. With GoDaddy, I was giving a few online HTML programs to help create the site, though the site came out looking very bare-bones, with a YouTube link here and there and a couple of paragraphs spread around.

Truth is, I feel iWeb would be the best solution, however am running OSX Lion and hear iWeb is on a countdown till' it's demise in just under a year. Nevertheless, I love the program.

I guess you can consider this my initial post re: wanting to create a website. This isn't for a business, but rather in-lieu of a FaceBook account.

Any guidance is truly appreciated.

BTW, I have to create the site before I get the business cards I was seeking in another thread here (posted less than 12 hours ago).

2. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

wow! this is really cool.

So, of course i'd have to keep doing my research but it seems that the iWeb route I was planning on taking could still work with wordpress, though truth be told it seems wordpress has a ridiculous amount of themes, plug-ins, etc going for it...

..And I assume this is free, however w/ wordpress offering a hosting service? ..of which you can purchase or add your own?

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It really depends on if you want to pay for hosting or not. If you don't mind then you can't do any better than SquareSpace. Their WYSIWYG HTML/CSS editor could be sold as a standalone product, it's that good. They've got a 2 week trial and there is no lock in. You can easily export your site any time.

Also, I highly recommend Hover.com for domain name registration and management. No GoDaddy like add-on garbage to click through just to buy one. Simple and quick.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm really impressed with SquareSpace, however am not a fan of $12 a month when DreamHost can host my WordPress for $9 a yr, based on their Labor Day Sale this weekend.

I'm utterly, jaw-dropped impressed with SquareSpace, though admittedly not at the behest of $12 a month, considering this is just a small website for friends and family to find me at.

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Apple is discontinuing iWeb?? :(

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Per chance would you mind PMing me a link to the site you use? All the sites SquareSpace provide as examples arencrazy famous sites and am hoping for more realistic sites.

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Look below.

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Concrete5 is a very nice platform to run a site on. If you choose to host with BlueHost (I've used them for 3 years and am very pleased. They are cheap, too.) you can use an integrated option called SimpleScripts which will install and set it up for you.

10. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I took it upon myself to discover that after that initial post.

It's look great, however you're only making my decision more difficult.

11. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Just use wordpress customize it. Check out my links below for an example.