Best Minute at Work since the watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by susan12369, May 4, 2015.

1. susan12369, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

susan12369 macrumors 6502

My boss believes that the apple watch will be very short-lived. He has been very vocal about it. He has expressed no interest in seeing mine. Today as he was leaving, he commented about how it may be warm when we go outside (those of us who don't leave the office building all day). I took a quick look at my watch and said oh my, 82 degrees! He tried to see the temp on his phone, and after waiting for it to load for a few seconds, gave up and quickly left... ;) joy

2. Maddux4163 macrumors member

Gotta say. I do enjoy the quick flip of the wrist and seeing the weather along with other quick pieces of information

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Apple Watch: 1
    Boss: 0

:D

4. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

It really is useful...it takes a few steps to get the weather on the phone. Watch just has it right there. Bamm!!!

5. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but actually updating the weather can take a few moments on the watch.

6. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

7. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

To be fair, he probably turned the phone on via home button, unlocked the phone and launched a weather app and waited for that to load.

However, it's much easier and to be honest not much slower than looking at your watch. Unlock phone, slide down notification centre (assuming he has an iPhone)
    Not sure about Android but i'm guessing it's similarly easy.

8. Maddux4163 macrumors member

As far as temp goes. Nothing is faster than me raising my wrist

9. friedmud macrumors 65816

Annoyingly this doesn't always show the _current_ temperature. Especially in the morning it's always telling me what the high and low are for the day and not telling me the temperature right now! I often know the high for the day (from looking the night before) and what I'm trying to gauge is whether or not I need a jacket or a coat in the morning.

Even right now my notification screen on my phone says "Mostly sunny conditions with wind 21mph out of the southwest"... argh!

Can't wait to get the Apple Watch with the actual temperature on the face all the time ;-)

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

how updated is the temperature really on the watch? When you looked and told him, was it the temperature from 30 minutes ago or currently? Does anyone actually know this or has check it?

11. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

Use Yahoo weather NC Widget then. Problem solved.

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

This is a feature I am really looking forward too! :) Honestly.

13. susan12369 thread starter macrumors 6502

Every time I've compared the two, they're spot on.

14. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

It seems to update pretty frequently. I spend a lot of time driving and if you use the big complication for weather in the modular watch face then it shows your current location along with the weather. As I drive it always shows the city that I’m currently in... And I assume the weather data is updated as frequently as well.

15. flur macrumors 68000

Android lets you put it on your home screen. That's one of few things I miss since switching to iphone.

----------

I've checked it. It's been accurate every time.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Good to know. I never verify it. I just glance at it.

17. michaelsmills macrumors newbie

You forgot Step 1: Take phone out of pocket.

Particularly slower if one is sitting.

18. mr.anthonyramos macrumors regular

mr.anthonyramos

Haha awesome. Good job Apple watch. You've done well.

19. mantan macrumors 68000

It literally takes 2 seconds to hit the home buttons and swipe down Notifications and see the current weather with a TWC or Yahoo widget.

But you showed him the true value of your $700 watch by saving those 2 seconds...OK

The 'smartwatches are useless' crowd is neck and neck with the 'check out this trivial item I did with my AW, it's so totally worth it' crowd.

I'm still on the fence about the watch as a whole. Right now the functionality/useful just doesn't seem to be there to justify the price. But that's just me.

20. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

21. tknice macrumors member

smart watches are useless crowd... Don't make me laugh. That's like saying a tv remote is useless. Apple has made something great here and let's be honest, many of you can't justify spending even $349 for it. It's really the cost and has nothing to do with its features or what it does or doesn't do. I bet if it was $99 everyone would s.t.f.u.

22. AppleWatchGuy macrumors member

Are you using any widgets? Almost same thing

23. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Overheard tomorrow in HR:

Boss: "That chick with the Apple Watch, the smartass, what are we paying her?"

HR: "Oh you mean Susan? Well, clearly we're paying her enough to afford a superfluous redundant gadget."

Boss: "Paycut. Now."

HR: "On it boss."

Boss: "And have IT get me an Apple Watch. I need to keep up with the times."

24. mantan macrumors 68000

A remote control is an integral device to using a television. It's pretty much impossible to use many features of a TV without one.

An AW is an accessory that provides additional/complimentary functionality to a smartphone. The question of if it's useful or provides enough functionality is still a debate to a lot of people.

And of course cost is a factor. The higher the cost, the higher the expectations.

25. flur macrumors 68000

In the notification center? No - it's in there even without widgets. It's not as convenient as having it on the lock screen, but I don't need it anymore as now I have it on my watch, so if I want to know the temp I just look at my wrist. :D