Best Mouse for Macbook Pro 2011 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Seraphex, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Seraphex macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I've bought a new MBP which i'm primarily going to use for gaming.

I'm in the market for a decent mouse that I can take about with me that will meet most my needs:
    - Work's on most surfaces,
    - Durable (i've managed to break previous mouses)
    - A few customizable buttons

What do you guys use on your macbook pro's?

Any good experiences?

Regards

2. Inara, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

Inara macrumors member

I would say Razer Orochi. I have a Logitech G5 on my gaming rig and my brother has a Razer Imperator on his one.

The Razer Orochi is bluetooth and can be wired when you need it.

I think I will buy a Razer Orochi soon.

Or, of course, you could go for a normal wired mouse, like Razer Imperator or Logitech G5

3. vettefanZR1 macrumors newbie

4. Seraphex thread starter macrumors member

Is the trackpad actually good for gaming then?

I imagined to to be pretty cumbersome

5. BlingBling macrumors member

BlingBling

I like the microsoft sidewinder x3, only because it's comfortable and fits my hand just right. I find a lot of gaming mice have too many hard edges and are awkward to hold for long periods of time

6. eC1990ho macrumors member

7. navigator416 macrumors newbie

Best bluetooth mouse IMO is the Razer Orochi as mentioned. Battery lasts long, like the other guy said, you can plug it in. Tracking is much better than the other mice I've tried (MS wireless usb and magic mouse). Form factor is great for a portable, it's a little bit on the small side but I prefer it over the flat magic mouse.

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

I have been using the Magic Mouse since they were released and am very happy with it. It takes a bit to get used to though..kinda trippy.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I got the Logitech G500 which is like the successor to the G5 I guess. I got it because it was fairly cheap for a gaming mouse and fits perfectly. Has all the bells and whistles of a gaming mouse. Also the scroll wheel in its 2 modes is brilliant for both work and gaming.
    It is wired. Bluetooth was too expensive and the rest still take a usb port and only need a battery are heavier and apparently sometimes also less responsive.
    There are no OSX drivers though from Logitech. It still works for the most part and quite okay because it has an onmouse memory for settings that still work in osx but you need Windows to set them.

10. Tapiwa macrumors member

For daily use: the trackpad (way better than a mouse)
    For gaming: anything but the Magic Mouse :p

11. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Microsoft Sidewinder X8, wireless, uses their new BlueTrack technology, incredibly sensitive, adjustable speeds on the fly, precision, almost no delay. Adjustable mouse "feet" for different grip.

Carries an internal battery, you hook up the little wire to charge, (You can still use while charging). It takes 20 minutes to charge, and thats another weeks use.

Only had mine 18 months, but works just as well as it was new, no signs of wear, and im rough with it, I move around a lot.

I sometimes try to game on Steam games such as Left 4 Dead and Counterstrike with my Mac friend, and he uses the magic mouse, its hilarious seeing him run along switching weapons a hundred times a second, because his skin has brushed the mouse, and scroll wheel is weapon change. :D

12. altecXP macrumors 65816

I swear by my USB deathadder. Bluetooth ass to much lag for me.

13. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Since you mentioned gaming I will recommend Razer branded mice for a few reasons. Much of their popular lines have OSX native drivers. This is important for customizing the buttons, macros, single key changes etc.

So if you don't mind a really small size, the Razer Orochi is their Notebook mouse. 3foot braided cord detachable for bluetooth via 2AA batteries with very low response time for either mode. Two thumb buttons, standard on top and ambidextrous so also two "thumb" buttons on right side as well. All customizable via the driver software.

DeathAdder is their standard/popular mouse with two thumb buttons and the normal left/right/middle. This feels the best in my hand, good size, right handed or left handed mouse available as well. Native osx drivers.

Those are the best portable options. I use a Razer Naga at home for my MMO that's wireless but uses a wireless dock which won't be great for portability.

Razer mice are great for gaming, feels good, and my favorite is their customer support is top notch. All mice include a 2 year warranty. I've had to warranty out my Orochi once and DeathAdder once, just showed them proof of purchase from amazon and send it back, only needed the mouse. They mailed me back brand new in box mouse each time. Excellent!! Big fan obviously lol

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Razer mouse are TOO small for those with large hands. I like logitech better.

15. magbarn macrumors 68000

Nice for browsing, but probably one of the worst mice for any serious gaming IMHO.

16. HBOC macrumors 68020

I don't use mice for gaming. That is what I have the Microsoft 360 controller (for PC) for :)

17. xxplosive1984 macrumors regular

Can those work on Windows via boot camp?

18. Seraphex thread starter macrumors member

How do the razer products work on OS? I was looking at the Orochi and it says not applicable on OSX (I know you mentioned native osx drivers)

19. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Another vote for the Orochi. I have it and it's been great. Tracks smoothly, looks good, doesn't drop connection etc.

20. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

There are razer drivers. Www.razerzone.com I have orochi and naga epic driver software installed, shows up in sys pref pane.

21. room271 macrumors member

For my non-Apple PC I have a razer-mouse (corded) which is brilliant for gaming. Not too cheap though.

22. xpcker macrumors regular

Hi everyone, this toppic has been a hell for me so i'll give you all my experience:

I've been a pro gamer almos all my life and tried every brands out there, for the last ones ive have i would say:

Apple Magic Mouse: The best! but, only for working and only on OSX. is by far the best in precission and commodity also, the battery last like 3-5 months!

Razer Orochi: My actual mice, just love it. Is small, have a cable in case you dont have more batts, customizable buttons and very high accuracy!. the only problem, is that the batteries dont last too long, at the most 1 month.

Razer Mamba: great mouse, only if you have a normal-big hand, its very confortable.

Logitech Mx18, great but razer blasts logitech mouses in presicion and in my hand confort (personaly)

A4tech X4, x7: love them, the cord didnt last too long.

Razer Naga: Sold it after 1 week of use, the 12 buttons on the side arent confortably to use in hi demanding APM situations.

well.. thats it, hope you like it.

For work, Magic Mouse, and portable gaming, Orochi.

Cheers!

23. HBOC macrumors 68020

ABSOLUTELY! Works perfectly on NBA 2K11, Borderlands and Black Ops (only games I have), but will NOT work on Battlefield: BC 2 for some reason.

Someone wrote drivers for the Microsoft controller to work in OS X.

24. Seraphex thread starter macrumors member

I think i'm gona go for the Razer Orochi - Seems to be pretty good @ gaming and a fairly sturdy all-round mouse.

What warranty's do Razer mice usually come with?

Also i'm slightly worried about how small it is - anyone know if any UK stores stock it?