Best Mouse?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ethics101, Jan 17, 2012.

1. ethics101 macrumors regular

I love the trackpad, but I'm still partial to a physical mouse. I was going to go with the Magic mouse, but with no scroll wheel or launchpad gesture, it looks to be overpriced. Also it doesn't work on glass.

So far I've looked at the logitech MX...is that the best?

What I'm looking for:
    -Bluetooth
    - Work on most surfaces
    -Nice Looking

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Just FYI, the Magic Mouse doesn't have a physical wheel, but the function is there. Simply slide your finger up/down the middle of the mouse where the scroll would be.

Also, with the addition of MagicPrefs, the functionality is greatly improved. It gives you the ability to assign custom 2, 3, and 4 finger gestures, all on the mouse's top surface. You can assign clicks, taps, swipes, pinches, etc. for almost anything you want to do. It's essentially putting a Trackpad on top of your mouse.

Unless you're gaming, I'd recommend you try out a Magic Mouse.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The MM does everything an ordinary mouse can and more. It takes a couple of day's to get used to it, but it really is the perfect partner for your Mac IMO.

4. cube macrumors G5

The only acceptable mouse for a laptop is the Logitech V470.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

6. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

got the razer orochi and its great could use it either corded or wireless, saves the battery :D

7. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

+1, love it wired for my daily work (CAD, PS, Render, etc...)

8. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

what I have for my desk, fun, and I think it looks cool:
    Cyborg R.A.T. 7

My wireless on the go:
    Logitech V470 Bluetooth

The Logitech MX isn't a bluetooth mouse. The only one I found that's bluetooth is the V470.
    I tried the Magic Mouse for a day and I hated it. The gestures are a nice feature, but the feel of it annoyed me.

9. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

I was very skeptical about the Magic Mouse at first. But I decided to buy it and I love it. I prefer the scroll function on the Magic Mouse than any other mouse. Also the swipe with one finger to go back and forth between webpages is really nice. I do know that others do that too but not with the same smoothness, in my opinion.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

ya mines in white too, and yes its somewhat battery hungry i still get a few months off a pair of AA

11. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I'm using an MX mouse on my MBP15 and it works pretty well ... it was a leftover from my PC, figured I'd give it a shot. Logitech has an OSX driver bundle that gives you most of the extra functions it had on the PC (special button mapping, battery status, etc.), the small center button behind the wheel launches Mission Control for example, pretty neat. It uses a small proprietary USB receiver.

That being said, I think I'm going to score a MM, just to check it out. I've already gotten used to gestures on the integrated trackpad, so it seems like that would be a little more of a logical extension - also considering a magic trackpad, kind of "demoing" it by using my MBP track pad (it's parked right next to my keyboard, which BTW, is a Logitech K800, also working really great with OSX and Winders).

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like MM, it works well for me, the size and shape are fine. There are more ergonomic mice out there but the shape doesn't bother me.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I like the Logitech MX Revolution and recently have gotten to like the Razer Deathadder.

14. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

lol why did you quote me?

The OP stated he wanted a bluetooth mouse and thats what I said the MX was not. it requires a usb chip for wireless. i don't doubt it is a good mouse, and it should be. MX brags so much about it's every surface compatibility that it wouldn't surprise me if it worked in sand. but still, not bluetooth.

15. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

16. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Hahaha, wow, relax. I was just adding to the conversation about mouse options, you mentioned the MX, I made a post that supplemented the information you related. Didn't say it was BT, didn't say you had no perspective on it ... it wasn't some personal affront to your mouse expertise :)

Maybe you should try decaf :D

17. trikky macrumors regular

No scroll wheel? That's what makes the Magic Mouse so great. The gestures are the scroll wheel, and now you don't have one of those wheel things to get grungy.

As for not working on glass, I think you'll have similar limitations with any of the laser mice out there.

I'm quite glad I bought my Magic Mouse...

18. Zumino macrumors newbie

As several people have posted, the Magic Mouse's power is in the glasstop multi-touch, which gives it a scroll ball (L-R, U-D), zoom in/out, swipe left/right, etc.

That said, it is a finger tip mouse. If you are the kind of person who palm's their mouse, it would not be comfortable to use. It's great if you just use your finger tips though. Very fast, light, and responsive.

19. Itzamna macrumors regular

Razer Orochi!

You can choose between bluetooth or wired. Plus it has a huge precision.

20. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

This guy knows what he's talking about.

I borrowed a friends Magic Mouse and found that my hands were too big to use it comfortably.

I bought a Logitech MX and found that I really hated the scroll wheel.

In my opinion, the V470 is the best mouse out there, it's more usable than the MX (in my opinion). As for the MM ... Well I don't know how anyone uses it comfortably, maybe I'm holding it wrong.

----------

Why would anyone want to use a wired connection with their mouse?

I don't get the paranoia videogamers have with wireless = lag.

21. Itzamna macrumors regular

Just because you don't use it, doesn't mean others wont...

It saves you batteries...
    It allows you to continue to use the mouse if you run out batteries in the middle of the night or in the middle of nowhere...
    It allows you to continue to use the mouse in a airplane...
    It allows you to double the precision point, which is important for so many types of works, not only gaming...

I could be here all day. ;)

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed, you also missed much less money for wired

i use a bluetooth only becasue i didnt want to use all my USB ports or have a USB hub, i have a very small desk

but my external keyboard is the wired one, because i only use it while working on my desk so i figure no harm in pluging it when im stationary

23. Itzamna macrumors regular

In the case of the Razer Orochi, that doens't apply, sadly. :)

It has both wireless and wired options. :)

24. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Good point, never really considered the batteries angle. Because of how long they last, I sort of forgot that they die eventually.