Best navigation programs?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by spinedoc77, Jul 8, 2010.

1. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Did a search and didn't find too much discussion on navigation on our ipads. I see that at least copilot has a HD version, but doesn't look like TomTom does yet.

In any event what does everyone thing about which navi program is the best right now? I was going to pick up TomTom but they haven't released a HD version yet and I really need a gps now.

Please list what you use, how you like it, if it's made for the ipad or not, and what you like/dislike about it.

2. Pyro2b macrumors newbie

GPS Drive HD

I've been using GPS Drive HD. Love it. I have my iPad mounted in my car with my custom built Polycarb frame. The app is only $2.99 and it comes with 30 days of voice guidance. Looks like it is another $2.99/month for the service. Total cost of ownership might be more than more expensive one time apps, but I just pay for it when I need it.

Attached Files:

3. DeuxIt macrumors member

4. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

+1 for MotionX GPS Drive HD. They also have a $1 app for the iPhone which can share the same voice guidance plan with the iPad version. It's great that you only pay for the voice guidance when you need it.

5. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

Ive been using Navigon and love it. Heres my set up in my Soul using a softshell and magnets.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. pghmacguy macrumors newbie

Another vote for MotionX GPS Drive HD. Awesome App!

7. emuyshondt macrumors member

I prefer applications that have the maps loaded on the iPad in case I am out of cell coverage or when I am roaming outside of the US (I use my navigator in Canada and Europe). I have had Navigon on my iPhone for a while and now use it on the iPad. I like it a lot. I also liked TomTom on my Windows Mobile phone, but Navigon was ready first when I went to the iPhone so that is what I use and feel no need to switch back.

I prefer the iPhone for use when I am traveling as the iPad is a little too large to keep it in my line of sight.

8. DeuxIt macrumors member

Motion X Drive HD will save its maps as you drive in the space allocated (up to 2 gb) so second time around they will be there already loaded. Motion X's non-driving gps app "MotionX GPS HD" DOES have a feature where you can tell it to download and store a certain route's maps or maps in a certain radius. So the idea of preloaded maps is not a foreign concept to them and could likely be added to future revisions. The are responsive and quick with suggestions to improvement, so let 'em know!

9. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'd much rather a navi program which brings all the maps already with it, I don't want to fiddle around with saving maps and such.

10. DeuxIt macrumors member

You don't have to. Within its currently limited capabilities of storing already traveled routes, its automatic. AND ITS $2.99 vs $60, 70+ of the other options. Plus it's an awesome app, save a few 1-star ratings from idiots, its all 5-star. Might as well start with the awesome $3 app and then go spend a bundle if it doesn't meet your needs. Just Sayin'.

11. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it. $3 isn't a lot, but when you add the subscription it becomes more expensive eventually than the dedicated programs. I couldn't see having to traverse the route first before having it saved on my iPad though.

12. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I also use Navigon. I own TomTom as well but Navigon works far better here. I have heard that TomTom works better in certain parts of the country but I haven't found it worth using at all. It makes some really bizarre routing decisions. While both are only iPhone apps I'll deal with it until Navigon gets around to an iPad version.

13. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

How would you say both those apps are in the ipad? Do they look decent with the pixel doubling, or horrible? The one thing I hate about non native apps are that they only run in portrait mode, is that the case with these also?

Also I'm looking at Copilot which has a HD version, but it's getting awful reviews.

14. myusernamesucks macrumors member

Here's what I'm not quite getting. I too assume that Navigon would be doing pixel doubling, but if you look at the video in this link http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/electronics/170647-mustang-ipad-install-update.html it certainly doesn't look like that's the case.

Am I missing something?

15. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

From that video it looks like he's using FullForce which is a jailbreak program that upscales the apps, it actually works pretty nicely. I think I might spring for Navigon and see how it works with FullForce.

16. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Sorry, I completely missed your question previously. I don't use TomTom because of the terrible routing so I can't give much comment on how it looks on the iPad. I attempted to use it on the iPhone when I got it. As for Navigon, it actually isn't all that bad. I've seen a lot worse in iPhone apps on the iPad.

For those who have missed it, Navigon just came out with an update for iOS 4 compatibility. I guess those of us with iPads will just have to wait for that. They also added some new features which I find quite useful. When you put in a destination it provides the weather/temperature at the location, nearest parking lots and nearest gas stations. I tried several different locations and it looked to be a nice feature.

They say they have also optimized the 3D view. I sure hope so. I haven't tried it yet since the update but that was one feature I considered a HUGE waste of money.

Of course, they didn't port it for the iPad or make it a universal app. I sure hope they get around to that soon.

17. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Well I purchased navigon and am using it with full force, it's pretty horrible. You can't pan, the detail sucks, etc. I wish I could get the level of detail the stock maps program has.

18. 0101001 macrumors 6502

Navigon but one of the GPG apps is 4.99 today only.

19. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

You need to figure out how to use it. It can display just as much detail and you can pan from the selection map view. There are dozens of options if you work your way through the menus (and there are A LOT of menus). It can be narrowed down as far as individual gas station brands selectively on or off. Stock view is pretty plain.

20. guyducati macrumors regular

Very stupid question for you all:

Do you need the 3G version for the GPS programs? I would think so, but I remember in the keynote that Jobs said there was built in GPS. So I'm kinda confused...

21. emuyshondt macrumors member

Only the 3G models have the GPS built in. You need it to use navigation programs. I got mine more for the GPS than for the 3G features since I also use it in an airplane to back up my navigation instruments.

22. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Yes I played around with this, I actually turned all the POI's off as the way they were laid out blocked parts of the map.

I think the issue is that it's very low detail as it's still meant natively for the iphone screen. Things like street names don't show up until you zoom very closely so in NYC very few of the street names were labeled until I zoomed in too close to really navigate. Also other weird stuff like it would show the highway name but not number unless I zoomed in. When I compare it to the stock maps program there is no comparision, the stock maps program just looks so much cleaner and sharp. I wish Apple would release their own navi program.

23. guyducati macrumors regular

Ok, thank you for the reply.

24. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Sorry guys but I use my iP4 when navigating in the car. I find the iPad is so large that it is distracting. Now when I'm not driving and I'm navigating then it is a different story. It is great.

25. spinedoc77 thread starter macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Congrats on winning the "this has nothing to do with this thread award", your prize and check are in the mail.