Best noise cancelling headphones...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by appygirl82, Nov 6, 2016.

1. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Looking to get either the Bose QC35 or the QC25....

I know the 35 is now wireless/Bluetooth. The 25's are corded. I'm reading advantages to both.

I really like the Bose noise canceling. I'm of course open to other ideas too. Oh and the over the ear is also what I'd want, I already have a good pair of wireless earbuds I run with etc :)

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've been reading up on the Sony MDR1000X/B. They've got good reviews and most say their noise canceling is on par with the Bose QC35s, but the actual audio quality is better.

I'll end up with a pair eventually but I'm in the same situation as you, still trying to decide.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I've used both the QC35 and the Sony 1000x (on my head right now).

Bose QC35 wins, hands down. Sound quality and noise cancelling are roughly a tie between the two, with the Bose coming out slightly ahead in noise cancelling.

What the Sony has over Bose is all novelty nonsense: gesture controls, some custom profile for noise cancelling, etc. But it's all fluff. If anything, the gesture controls are extremely annoying. Especially the muting function with your palm. Whenever you adjust your headsets, you mute the headset, and get a beep. This starts to drive you crazy over time. I've used the set for over a week, and I still have no idea which of the hard buttons I am pressing. Bose got all the ergonomics right. All the buttons are intuitive, and easy to find, without any guessing. On the Sony, I am guessing if I am turning on/off NC, power, etc. I don't notice any difference even after using the custom profile. And still give the edge to Bose in terms of NC.

Bose is more comfortable on the head, and on the ears. Especially if you have large ears.

And where the Bose really wins is battery life. I was getting something like 5 days out of the Bose with moderate to heavy use vs. 3 days with the Sony.

And the Sony costs more too.

For me, it's not close which is the one I would own, even though both perform similarly in terms of NC and sound quality.

And you should be aware that neither have excellent sound quality. Both do sound well, but are by no means audiophile headsets. They both seem to be operating best in the mid-range.

4. kellyleekyle macrumors member

love my Bose QC35, fantastic sound quality and comfort, never tried the sony though

5. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

The QC35's come with an adapter for using on an airplane correct? I'd also want to use them while flying and need them to work with the in-flight entertainment :)

6. darins75 macrumors newbie

The Bose QC 35's are absolutely incredible! I've had them for a little over a month and had the opportunity for several flights with them. The noise cancelling quality is top notch, the battery life is long and the sound excellent. They have a nice carrying case which has a concealed space for the airplane connection adapter. All in all a great product at a decent price point. I'd highly recommend.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I'd love to know how many airlines still have the "airplane input"

8. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Still need corded headphones to use with the seat back TV's :D

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Most of the wireless models come with cords for that purpose.

10. skyhawkmatthew macrumors member

skyhawkmatthew

After a lot of tossing up and comparing between the QC35 and the Sennehiser PXC550 I went with the Sennheisers and couldn't be happier. Awesome sound quality, ANC is pretty much on par with the Bose, great battery life, and clever design.

11. tevion macrumors member

I have a set of Bose QuietComfort 20i, these are the in-ear noice cancelling headphones. They're absolutely amazing, it's the first Bose product i've owned and i'll continue to buy from them for headphones in future.

12. Otto Pilot macrumors newbie

I have been trying out the Bose QC30s since they hit the street, and I am VERY impressed. I also had the QC35s but really found that I am not a bug fan of the huge headphone style. The QC30s may be the best headphones I've ever used. The variable noise cancelling is awesome, and I get through a whole week of one hour each way train rides to and from work with plenty of battery left, and the form factor is super comfortable. These are simply amazing headphones, and well worth considering if you are looking for noise cancelling BT phones.

13. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I have both the QC30 and QC35. I find the QC35s have more effective NC (the mics are definitely set to different frequencies) and sound better, primarily due to the fact that they are headphones. However, the QC30s are less obtrusive, better at the gym, and are easier to transport. I recommend both models, and I haven't always been a huge fan of Bose.

In fact, I have to say that if the airpods don't sound markedly better than the lightning earpods (and early reviews seem to indicate this), then I will probably pass on them because the QC30s and QC35s, though not "balanced" or "neutral" in sound, clearly sound better than the earpods. And this is based on comparing them in a silent room; on the street or in a noisy environment, there would be no contest at all.

14. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Look into B&O if you are willing to spend QC35 money. Very comfy, fairly lightweight, and great sound.

15. AppleRobert macrumors 603

16. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Yes! Yesterday I got the QC35's! I had $100 in Apple GC's so used those! I haven't opened them yet to give a try!

17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Hope you like them, they are returnable if not. I had and liked them but ended up returning them and await cheaper options and hopefully sales to kick in for the holidays.

18. blaugrana69 macrumors regular

Bose QC30.
    Had the 35s but prefer the portability of the 30s. Whilst the ANC is not as complete as you get with the 35s what you also don't get is the bulk and the pressure on the ears.

19. mickeydean macrumors 6502

The Bose QC35 wireless range is worse than my jlab epic2. Sound quality is quite poor...
    Noise cancelling is novel for me and it induced initially but that's no longer an issue. Battery life has been declining even after only a month.

Hoping the Sony MDR-1000x on the way will be better.

Headfi thread suggesting they're much better than the QC35's in terms of sound

20. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

They're about the same in sound quality, and noise canceling. With the slight edge going to Bose in both categories.

Wireless range is the same, as is for all of my Bluetooth heapdhones. Including my cheap QY8.

For sound quality both operate in the mid range. And yes, these are not for audiophiles. They are good for what they are, but if you are the type that gets custom molded ear tips, and listen for nuances, none of these headsets are going to be right for you.

If you are disappointed with the Bose, you will be with the Sony as well.

My choice is the qc35. For comfort, ergonomics, etc. the gesture controls on the Sony are just stupid and unnecessary. And battery life is a good 2-3 days shorter on the Sony.

21. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Hello everyone!

My initial thoughts on the QC35's. Love them!! But I've been wearing them now for about 20-25 min and the pressure on my head/ears is already a bit irritating. Oh and I went and looked into my bathroom mirror and these things are HUGE on my head!!!!

I know some have mentioned the QC30's?? The ANC isn't as good?? Are they still worth the $300 price tag???

I bought those QC35's at Apple Store...will they take them back if I decide to return them? I've only had them since Saturday.

22. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

The big look is in!

I have had the QC25 for years and have never had any discomfort. Got the QC35 recently due to such a good experience with the QC25, hoping the function the same just without wires!

I would think they would take back the product, the only thing I am not sure is if they would have a restocking fee. I know they do on custom order stuff but wouldn't think they do on off-shelf products.

23. appygirl82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I won't give up on them just yet!!! They sound amazing! Just super big on my little girlie head! And my ears just sort of got tired of having them on! I'll give them longer to grow on me!

24. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

If they are pushing down on your ears there is not much you can do. They should be supported by the band on your head. When I have mine sized correctly (and use them for hours on end) I do not feel any pressure on my actual ears, just around them.