Best Non Apple lightning cable

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Bigj1288, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Bigj1288 macrumors newbie

Been looking around for some less expensive and possibly longer lightning cables. My iPhone comes in on Wednesday.

I've been doing a lot of amazon research but all the reviews muddy the water for me. Anyways any input is appreciated and maybe links and prices with them if you have an extra second.

Thanks

2. PegasusTenma macrumors regular

PegasusTenma

If something happens to the phone while using another cable, it could void your warranty.

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

4. L-Tuned macrumors regular

If you want some cheaper aftermarket lightning cable, be sure to look for "MFI" certified. Here are the ones I got and works seamless.

Omaker Lightning
    or if you want a 1.5m

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

I've been pleased with the 6ft Monoprice lightning cables I bought last year.

Interestingly my daughter killed the plug end of one since she really doesn't get the idea of not kinking cables at the connectors. :rolleyes: Funny how the cables in *my* possession are perfect after a year's use. :cool:

6. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Same story with my wife, only she's been doing this to the OEM cables. I've been considering monoprice as they seem stronger.

7. Slimmyhendrix macrumors regular

I bought a Belkin from target and it works great. It's a 4' cable too unlike the tiny oem one

8. Whtchdr macrumors regular

The Best Buy Insignia cables seem to hold up well. They are MFi certified.

9. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

10. Banana Slug macrumors newbie

iXCC cables are MFi certified and carry a lifetime warranty.

11. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I'm using a Belkin 2m cable, which covers the distance from my bed to the nearest socket nicely. The plug is a bit fatter which may be an issue with certain cases, but I use the apple silicon case so it's no issue for me.

In the past I used cheap lightning cables but they all failed at some point. I personally would advice against going with the cheap knockoffs.

If you are worried about expensive cables, buy a lighting to USB adapter so you can use any USB cable on the market.

12. benzkid89 macrumors member

benzkid89

Ditto I picked up a 6 foot cable and haven't had any issues. Apple prices for cables are painful. Only thing I worried about was the base of the cable can be a little wide for some cases. It fits my Spigen Neo perfect though.

13. Krabba macrumors regular

Krabba

Best Non Apple lightning cable

Ditto. I bought two last October and one started to fray at the Lightning collar last month so I contacted Monoprice and they sent a replacement under the lifetime warranty which arrived within the week.

14. iceperson macrumors 6502

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

15. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I bought a 10 foot MFi Griffin cable from Target for $30. But avoid the Amazon version. Apparently can be fakes.

16. deeddawg, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

deeddawg macrumors 604

That's a bit of a misinterpretation of Magnuson-Moss. If it can be shown that the aftermarket part or accessory caused the failure then Apple can deny warranty service for any issues directly resulting from that. So if you present a phone with a burnt up lightning connector and a similarly burnt up aftermarket cable, I'd expect them to tell you to talk to the cable maker for help. If instead your phone fails for no apparent reason it's unlikely the cable used will ever come into conversation and they'll just take care of you.

17. iceperson macrumors 6502

Sorry. Not sure where I was interpreting anything. That's a direct quote from the law. You are correct though, if Apple can PROVE the 3rd party part caused the failure they can deny the claim. Chances are the testing to prove this would be inconclusive and/or would cost more than just replacing your device though, which is why in the past when there were known problems Apple initiated a 'buyback' program for users to replace their chinese crap with official chargers.

In the event that someone had a monoprice, Amazon Basics, Belkin, etc... cable and their device was damaged and an Apple review found the cable to be at fault I would imagine that any of those manufactures would make it right. Moral of the story, you don't need an Apple branded cable, but stick with known vendors/manufacturers and you'll be fine...

18. RByers8252 macrumors regular

19. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

The way your post was structured led me to believe you were refuting PegasusTenma's claim on the basis of the quoted section of MM.

PT's statement stands true as-is; not saying using the cable voids the warranty, but that if something happens (such as heat-damage at the charging port) you might have trouble. You also might have no trouble at all, particularly if there's no indication that whatever problem you had came from the cable. We can debate the number of angels who can dance on the head of a pin all day long, but it remains true that the possibility of warranty refusal exists if using a 3rd party cable.

Agreed. I stick with the name brands as above and have had nothing but success with Monoprice and Amazon Basics cables.

21. Bigj1288 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm definitely putting in an order on a few of these. I use one in my car, house and at my work desk. So i'll probably get 3 other ones and have an extra for wherever.

6ft cables for in my house. Whoever built it in the 70's must've not been predicting the use of electronics in the future. There are only 4 outlets in the basement! I hate leaving my phone to charge on the table like 4 feet away. With 6 ft I could see my phone much better in case of emergency situations or if I have an important call or text coming

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

There is the old fashioned solution:

[​IMG]

:D