Best NON-safari browser for iPad? POLL

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Mar 8, 2011.

?

What is the best alternative web browser for iPad?

1. iCab

27.3%
  2. Atomic web browser

41.5%
  3. Perfect web browser

1.0%
  4. Mercury web browser

6.6%
  5. Terra - web browser

6.6%
  6. Other!

17.1%
  1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Debates of Safari aside, which is the best alternative web browser for your iPad? Please leave comments on why you think your browser is the best. If your browser isn't listed please identify it! We all want to learn what's the best and why! :)

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've been using Atomic on my iPad for about 6 months and haven't looked back. The tabs and the fact that each page doesn't auto-refresh every time I switch back and forth definitely made it worth the .99 I paid for it. (And bonus, I was able to DL to my iPhone at no extra cost).

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I've used both Atomic and iCab and prefer iCab

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A lot of people tried other browsers to avoid the Safari caching issue, that's not so much of an issue anymore.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I feel like we do this a lot. My answer still stands. iCab first Atomic second. Perhaps with Atomic updates it is more awesome than ever, but iCab was better earlier on so I've stuck with that. Old women don't like change, I go with what I know.

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I've been reading good things about iCab and am considering checking it out. What are the major differences between the two? I've read that a lot of people prefer the UI in iCab...but is it better performance wise?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ iCab won me over when it would allow forum spy to scroll without having to reload if I were to open other tabs. It also allowed downloading of sorts.

8. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I feel like not all the icab ppl r voting.... :p

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I wonder if that has changed since you first started using Atomic? because I have the Spy on at all times in Atomic (on my iPad and iPhone)...and it continues to scroll, even when I'm using another tab.

I lent my iPad to a friend for her business trip, but when she brings it back, I may just DL iCab, use it for a week and see which one I like the best.

10. foiden macrumors 6502a

I do wish Stanza had a true iPad equivalent. Even though it's an iPhone app, I do deem it as an often necessary supplement but not a replacement. It doesn't have the performance to really replace any of them. However, it does utilize a feature to run flash video, from many sites, on iOS. However, if your idea was not to run sites that have flash video for you to see, then it is one of the worst, performance-wise. So for all other sites, use Safari or the other ones listed here.

11. Stovepiper macrumors member

I've not tried iCab, but Atomic has suited my needs quite well. In addition to the tabs, I like the ability to download to Dropbox.

12. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I've used all browsers and iCab has the best features with the most beautiful interface—it's best summed up as Atomic browser done by an Apple fan.

The problem with all the people voting for Atomic is that they are sure it's the best browser but most of them haven't tried anything else.

13. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Yeah iCab looks to me like it would be the nicest. The thing that makes me hesitant about using an alternative browser is the fact that you can't change safari from the default browser. That would aggrevate me.

14. emuyshondt macrumors member

I don't know if iCab can do this, but the main reason I use Atomic Browser is that I need to emulate iPhone Safari for one work-related site that I use. I would have never started on an alternate browser quest if our IT department would properly support iPads and iPhones.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have them all, and despite that I end up using Safari & Browser+ more over than iCab, Mercury, Atomic, Skyfire etc..

16. Jakeblu macrumors regular

Well that and multitouch gestures, full screen mode, proper tabs, download files and many more too numerous to mention.

I have icab and atomic but prefer atomic. I think the multitouch gestures are more natural and entering and exiting full screen is better. All IMO of course :)

17. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Also, all these alternative browsers are still build off safari's webkit right? So will the speed enhancements of 4.3 give the same speed enhancements to all 3rd party browsers?

18. Wozza2010 macrumors member

Yeah I think that's the case bud.

Me I use iCab. Luv it.

19. ronline macrumors newbie

Just Tried Mercury browser

One of the reason for trying it, was to have search suggestions when searching in the search box.
    I have been using Atomic Browser, but that is one feature I was missing.

Also tested Mercury on this page take was linked to in another tread.
    http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/201...rt_1_of_3.html
    This link showed that Safari would not load all of the pictures.
    Towards the bottom of the page there would just be ? marks.

After upgrading my iPad to iOS 4.3 safari would now load all of the pictures.
    Mercury also loads all of the pictures.

20. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I have Atomic and iCab on mine. I like Atomic better.

21. Jayrcee macrumors regular

Jayrcee

22. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I voted atomic but icab is very very good. It's a toss up. Icab hs better dl and ul. Atomic may be a wee faster. Ultimately atomic wins because of the full screen options, namely being able to have a real tab bar in full screen.

To the above webkit question. Yes...and then some..and some..and some. Both are way faster than safari in 4.3. IMO.

23. Sn0wball macrumors regular

Wish Mozilla Firefox was ported over to iOS.

I think Apple's slate grey aesthetic (on Safari, etc.) is getting dreadfully old, clichéd, sterile. It's very millennium and is starting to date badly. Times and styles have moved on.

24. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

That'll be me :eek:

I might give iCab a go having read this. I had it on my Mac years ago and liked it.

25. archdelux, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

archdelux macrumors 6502

Looks like icab and atomic are the big ones..for some reason the free version of atomic hurts my eyes...is it just me? I imagine it is no different in the paid version..?

Also, would those who have tried icab and atomic and terra and the rest tell me which will be able to do all of the below the best/smoothest (some features are not articulated on the web at all and in some browsers they Are not well implemented):

can download files to dropbox
    Can open/view docs and PDFs
    Ad blocker
    Private mode
    Has search/find feature allowing you to click go to next word sequentially
    Can save passwords like safari/ autofill
    Has suggestions when you type in google search bar like safari
    Bookmark bar

Edit: forgot to add--sometimes it's a pain to open a background tab in terra by long pressing because it doesn't detect it so I have to keep trying...do any of the other browsers have this problem?