Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
This thread goes to all of you Mac users who were once PC gamers, having switched within the decade. This post might be better appropriated to a gaming forum, but I think many of you will relate to it.

Now that I’m a Mac user, I rarely play games. And because of this, I often look back, filled with nostalgia, at the games that really had an impression on me. If you guys ever played Roller Coaster Tycoon, Age of Empires 3 or Duke Nukem 3D, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Of course, the purpose of this thread is for everyone to share the games that really had the biggest impact on them. Let’s be filled with nostalgia together. Here’s mine...

Unreal Tournament GOTY

I had turned 8 when this game was gifted to me on my birthday. When I initially launched it, I really sucked at it. The fast paced nature of the game was really difficult to get use to for a guy who was into RTS games. And as I played the game, it really grew on me. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, can compare to the eccentric music, the gameplay style, the taunts, and the overall feel of the game. I mean, it was absolutely amazing. And the Chaos Pack, more awesomeness. Of course, I never really got good (Novice was the difficulty of my choice), and I camped profusely (Face CTF + Sniper Rifle anyone?), but still, this game hit the spot.

So what’s yours?

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
Biggest impression, probably Doom, played on a mate's old 486 and later on my Performa 5200. Wow, jaw hit the floor, I loved it.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Biggest impression, probably Doom, played on a mate's old 486 and later on my Performa 5200. Wow, jaw hit the floor, I loved it.

OMG yes! Our neighbor had that game! He allowed me to play it whenever we went over. That game kicked all ass.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I played a lot of console and PC games. Switched to a PPC Mac, then switched to an Intel Mac as soon as I bloody well could :p. I had to borrow my dads laptop to play such great games around that time - Half Life 2, Doom 3, RTCW.

Half Life 2 was the most mesmerising but I only play through games once unless they have a great atmosphere. But I'd pick Prey. Almost everything is okay to good but something about the setting was so gripping and unusual. If it was some experimental game that removed all the combat and just left in the location and puzzles then I'd like it more.

Dify

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Outcast...The best game ever made.

It is reaaaaly not famous, and I don't really know why.

the game has the same view as splinter cell, you play a guy who falls into a black holle with a crew and find himself in an other dimension, alone in the snow.

you encounter aliens who tell you that you are the messia and that you must save his people. The game stile is unique, it's like an fps/rpg without real experience gain but each time you do stuf people around you treat you differently, you can choose what you tell them...there are portals every where that send you into other region. one is snow the other is some chinese rice plantation ( the best of all!!) and the other one I can remember is a sand town.

Edit:

After talking about it I did some research, i found this !!!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outcast_(video_game)
funny fact, althroug the game gives you plenty of wepons, the first you get has unlimited amo. I used it for the WOLE game boss included. I was liddle and I reaaaaaly didn't want to use waluable amo for nothing until I killed the last boss and found out that I could have used it :).

I would love to play it again, has any one an idea where I could find this/play it on my mac :).

tkingart

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2010
West Coast
I can most definitely relate.

Ultima Underworld 1 & 2, Ultima VIII: Pagan, Ultima Ascension (anyone remember this plagued by technical issues but still a gem?), Wing Commander Privateer. 2D Aliens adventure game based on H.R. Giger's work (there must be someone else that remembers this one.) Elder Scrolls games. Tachyon (with Bruce Campbell voice overs.) Day of the Tentacle, The Secret of Monkey Island. X-Wing and Tie Fighter. Wolfenstein 3D (anyone remember the "vertigo" experienced when playing this for the first time?) Diablo 1 & 2, last but not least- the original EverQuest.

*edit: I wanted to add: Syndicate American Revolt. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. Icewynde Dale.

H00513R

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Indiana
Ultima series (up until Ultima Online). These games were gems and I waited for each one with geeky anticipation. There was nothing like getting your new Ultima box and looking at the map and game reference cards.

Battlefied 2 - Frag and bag baby!

Baldur's Gate - Good for my lost Ultima fix.

Wolfenstein - A classic.

Doom - Another classic.

Thief series - One of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. I remember actually getting my heart rate up trying to sneak past guards and having them stop and look around. Man that game was great!

tkingart

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2010
West Coast
Ultima series (up until Ultima Online). These games were gems and I waited for each one with geeky anticipation. There was nothing like getting your new Ultima box and looking at the map and game reference cards.

Battlefied 2 - Frag and bag baby!

Baldur's Gate - Good for my lost Ultima fix.

Wolfenstein - A classic.

Doom - Another classic.

Thief series - One of the most enjoyable games I've ever played. I remember actually getting my heart rate up trying to sneak past guards and having them stop and look around. Man that game was great!

OMG how could I forget Thief! I remember how awesome it was sneaking around in the shadows, snuffing out torches with the water arrow, and how funny it was hearing guards getting nervous/suspicious. I would love to see a new one come out!

Doom is definitely a classic, as for Battlefield I am hooked on Bad Company 2 (via bootcamp), but I can remember my brother and I playing Battlefield 1942 with the Desert Storm mod non-stop!

Does anyone remember Hexen? (there was another RPG FPS, that let you transform into other creatures, wish I could remember the name of it.)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Zork I, II and III, Beyond Zork, Zork Zero
Loom (Amiga)
Myst (Mac)
Fallout 1 and 2 (Mac)
Wasteland (Commodore 64)
Rise of the Dragon (Amiga)
Marathon trilogy (Mac)
Maniac Mansion (Commodore 64)
Zak McCracken and the Alien Mindbenders (Amiga)
Shogun (Commodore 64)
Pirates! (Commodore 64)
Pirates! GOLD (Mac)
Paperboy (Commodore 64)
3D Ultra Pinball (Mac)
Accolade's Comics (Commodore 64)
Civilization (Amiga)
Defender of the Crown (Commodore 64 + Amiga)
Another World (Amiga)
It Came from the Desert (Amiga)
EVE Online (Mac + PC)

I still have most of these. ;)

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
All the Ultima series games (except Online... IV left the biggest impression as it was the first Ultima game I got), the Sierra 'Quest' games (Kings Quest 1 left the biggest impression because it was the first PC game I ever played) and the Monkey Island series. Those are the ones I spent by far most of my childhood playing. Still like to fire up dosbox once in a while and have a go at them.

For console games, besides obvious ones like Mario and Zelda, I'd say the Dragon Warrior/Quest series.

I've never been a big FPS fan but I have to also mention Doom.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Outside my seconding of the game Myth (and Myth: SB), the other huge nostolgia games are:

Escape Velocity (and sequels) - I have never been so immersed, or spent so much consecutive time trying to get to the next plot point.

Realmz - Which I still hold to be the best RPG game ever (though I like turn based battle).

Marathon 2 - got it for my 12th birthday, booya!

All those games were my first "real" games and bring with them a sense of emotion. I played Civ 2 a lot as well, but it never brought with it an emotional reaction, so it doesn't fall into the nostalgia category.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Weak :p I still play online from time to time.

Correction: I played for 3-4 years STRAIGHT, letting no other game into my life. I played it off and on for a lot longer than that :)
Though admittedly I haven't played in a few years now. I take it the 3rd party servers are still up? Or do you have a group of friends you play with? Or do you just go back and play solo? :)

Sadly, my G4 based laptop died last year, leaving me intel only... so I may never play it again :(

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Correction: I played for 3-4 years STRAIGHT, letting no other game into my life. I played it off and on for a lot longer than that :)

Hah. Myth had that sort of effect.

Though admittedly I haven't played in a few years now. I take it the 3rd party servers are still up?

Marius.net is the place to play now. The cesspool that was PM.net finally folded, although there are unsubstantiated rumors that it will return. No idea why they'd revive it, though.

Or do you have a group of friends you play with? Or do you just go back and play solo? :)

I'm a WW2'er, so I play games when they're running. Marius has a nice thing where you can see what games are on from the web instead of having to log in.

Sadly, my G4 based laptop died last year, leaving me intel only... so I may never play it again :(

If you install the necessary patches (of which there are several) you can play it on Intel machines.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Doom
Monkey Island series
Space Quest series
King's Quest series
The Realm
Ultima Online (Up to T2A)
Castle of Dr. Brain
Island of Dr. Brain
Sim City
Sim Ant
Sim City 2000
Sim Tower

Hmmm what else....

chikit

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2009
Moving from oldest to latest. Classics were definitely better games.

Pizza Tycoon (Absolute blast!!)
Theme Park World
M.U.D (Multi-User Dungeon - Don't remember which host)
Sim Copter
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Diablo 2 + LOD
The Sims

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Games that made a lasting impression on me... hmmmm....

Repton/Repton Thru Time - Acorn Electron

Batman - Amstrad CPC464

Sensible World of Soccer, Cannon Fodder, North and South, Civilization, The Settlers, Monkey Island 2, Theme Park - Amiga 1200

Championship Manager from about 97 onwards, Transport Tycoon - PC

That was fun! Back to work now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.