Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skarinada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Hi Guys,

I'm currently thinking about getting a mac mini as a backup computer and desktop for all my computer work especially working with Final Cut Studio. I edit mostly HD content and will do some Motion text stuff and I already have an external burner for DVD Studio.

I want to get a Mac Mini with SSD, however, I can't justify spending 799 + $600 for Apple's 256 GB SSD.

Do you guys think the entry level mac mini for $599 + a 160 - 256 SSD would be the best machine for me? Again, I'm using it for basic tasks but also video editing. Nothing too intense...

Or should I just go all out and get the $999 Server version with regular 7200 rpm hard drives? The benchmarks on those machines seems superb.

I just don't want to go way over a budget but I really want the snappiness of a SSD configuration.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Hi Guys,

I'm currently thinking about getting a mac mini as a backup computer and desktop for all my computer work especially working with Final Cut Studio. I edit mostly HD content and will do some Motion text stuff and I already have an external burner for DVD Studio.

I want to get a Mac Mini with SSD, however, I can't justify spending 799 + $600 for Apple's 256 GB SSD.

Do you guys think the entry level mac mini for $599 + a 160 - 256 SSD would be the best machine for me? Again, I'm using it for basic tasks but also video editing. Nothing too intense...

Or should I just go all out and get the $999 Server version with regular 7200 rpm hard drives? The benchmarks on those machines seems superb.

I just don't want to go way over a budget but I really want the snappiness of a SSD configuration.

A related questions was posed in this thread--may find some of the advice helpful.

Also, may want to check out this thread detailing another member upgrading his own base model with an SSD--the poster seems very knowledgable regarding the subject and is very willing to answer questions.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I put a 256 gb ssd into the base 2.3 mini along with 8gb ram it is a nice machine for bitorrent/handbrake netflix itunes and the like.

FCP is not what I do with my gear I don't know how much a good gpu will help you. It does seem like buying the 799 model and adding a ssd along into it is the way to go. you could drop in a good workhorse ssd yourself it is not that hard you save a lot of cash. . my ssd install thread is easy to follow. the 799 model is 769 on amazon add an ssd with ram you are under 1k.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.