Best Password app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JonL12345, Jun 4, 2013.

1. JonL12345 macrumors regular

I've been using Roboform for Windows. Now that I have bought an iMac, I am wonder what password tool to use.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jon

2. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

1Password. Don't know if it's on sale anymore but it's totally worth it. Especially once they release 1Password 4 since it'll be able to sync with iCloud.

3. jsgreen macrumors 6502

+1 for 1Password

Also has a great integration with Alfred v2 (Alfred is a launcher utility with lots of cool capabilities)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another vote for 1Password. Good interface, cross platform support (windows, osx, iOS and Android).

6. jrs22 macrumors 6502

1Password for Mac is actually on sale for $24.99 right now. I tested both 1Password and Lastpass when I moved to a mac last summer but was concerned about the absence of a freestanding program for Lastpass. With 1Password if theres an update to a browser that affects the extension I still have the app to turn to. YMMV

7. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

8. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Lastpass gets my vote. According to security expert Steve Gibson, it's the best one out there...

9. Xe89 macrumors regular

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. Xe89 macrumors regular

True, but you can follow the links.

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Another vote for LastPass... Steve Whoever notwithstanding.

I've been using it for years, and it certainly meets my needs.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've been with 1Password since nearly the beginning. I just stick with them out of habit I suppose.

14. AGKyle macrumors 6502

Only piping in on this to confirm the sale is going on still as of today (6/4/2013). We don't have a firm date on the end of it but I suspect it will probably go for a bit longer as we're still trying to sort through the pre-sale questions to our support team.

I will stay out otherwise because I really don't like getting involved in any discussions that are about which is better and all of that. I try to stay neutral but I'm obvious biased, best to avoid me in these discussions. If you have technical questions about 1Password though, see my support link in the signature. We'd be happy to help.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you even read the linked articles? I would say the blogger, although anonymous, did a pretty good job documenting his claim.

16. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

Just come across Dashlane. Looks interesting. :)

Anyone tried it?

17. saberahul macrumors 68040

I use it. I really like it actually. The only annoying thing is that they release A LOT of updates and every update requires you to restart your browsers (something I hate since I always have video conferences running through websites).

I'm actually a lifetime premium member so I received access to the secure notes and other goodies which may/may not be available to public so check those out. I would also suggest enabling 2-step verification.

18. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Can't comment on other apps but 1Password is what I use and everyone I recommended to buy it, praises it.

Support is awesome too.

19. araje macrumors regular

1password wins hands down.
    Use it with Mac App, and its all goodness around.

20. shalliday macrumors member

shalliday

Hi Jon, I am also a long time user of the Windows version of RoboForm and RoboForm Everywhere. Recently purchased the RoboForm Mac OS X version for my Macmini and now use their iOS app on my iPhones and iPads. While the iOS app is a little clunky (no iOS Safari integration), the Mac version works the same as Windows and RoboForm Everywhere does a great job of seamlessly keeping everything in sync between my multiple devices.

Having read so much praise for 1Password and Lastpass, here on the MacRumors forum, I am really curious to learn how RoboForm stacks up to both of these products with regard to multi-platform password management, security and browser integration.

1Password uses a DropBox solution that does not appear to be as integrated or as easy to use as RoboForm when syncing between different OS's and devices. Not sure about LAstPass. Perhaps others can offer more insight.

One thing that concerns me is that RoboForm does not seem to be widely used or a popular choice amongst MacRumor members. Perhaps this is because of it's Windows origin or because 1Password and Lastpass are just simply better products? So far I have not found any detailed comparisons between the three products, but I keep looking. Most likely I'll end up demoing both to see for myself :).

Cheers

21. flynz4 macrumors 68040

This was one of my reasons for choosing 1Password. I think (especially for Mac) that it has the largest installed base... which is a key attribute for long term viability of the company... and their ability to continue development. They also charge more than others... but still within comfort zone of most buyers... which I think contributes to financial viability.

Bottom line... I think 1Password is probably the most likely company to be around for the long haul.

LastPass is probably in 2nd place (at least for Mac)... and I think they did a brilliant move by acquiring X-marks... bring that customer base over. I think that LastPass is likely to be viable as well.

Company viability is my #1 criteria for which company I chose to use, as there is a big time commitment to go into hundreds of websites, create new auto-generated passwords and security question responses. I am comfortable with either 1Password or LastPass from a company viability standpoint.

I use 1Password (in order of purchase) on: OSX, Windows, IOS. They have all been top notch, and they all sync seamlessly. I do not use Android... so I cannot comment on those products.

/Jim

22. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Same here. I've never had any security issues with Lastpass. BTW, I use different maximum allowed generated passwords for each and every important website I go to. Plus, my lastpass password is copied and pasted from a file pages long that no one can possibly figure out.

23. Ledgem, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I found it pretty easy to use. I have 1Password for Mac and iOS (using on an iPhone and iPad). Regarding synchronization, I grew tired of waiting for 1Password 4, which promises iCloud support, to be released, and enabled Dropbox support. I did it in a really foolish way, too, but the program handled it beautifully: I enabled it on my iPhone, which only had one secure note in its 1Password database, and then I enabled Dropbox syncing on my Mac. 1Password on the Mac automatically created a folder and moved its database to my Dropbox directory. It added the secure note from the iPhone to my main database, and the iPhone version then added in everything else as well. As a bonus, I had iCloud syncing enabled on the iPhone as well, and the iPad - which has iCloud syncing enabled, but not Dropbox - updated as well.

Basically, it was as easy as enabling it and waiting for the database to upload. It worked flawlessly, even though I chose a weird way to do it and would have anticipated some merge problems. I don't use it on Windows or Android and can't speak to that, but I was pretty impressed.

Still looking forward to switching fully to iCloud syncing and leaving Dropbox behind, though.

24. BlueParadox macrumors regular

OneSafe.

Probably the best password app available, in my opinion. iOS version compatible with both iPhone & iPad (universal). And there's a desktop version available via the Mac App Store.

In addition to the slick interface and ergonomic use, OneSafe offers handy iCloud synchronisation, a feature many other password apps lack.

And it's nice and cheap: AU$6.49, or US$6. Definitely well worth the price.

(YouTube demo: http://youtu.be/VNF0aXAxwU0)