Best PC gaming headset?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by richwoodrocket, Nov 29, 2014.

1. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

So I currently just use a microphone and the regular speakers when I use teamspeak while gaming. People say it's sometimes hard to hear me and I want to upgrade to an actual headset. It will be a Christmas present for me and I can't put a $500 headset on my Christmas list, so I'm looking for something around or under $50. Anybody have any recommendations? At first I was looking at this (SADES SA-708 Stereo Headset Gaming Headset with Microphone (Green) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDHEU2A/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wrDEub1AH7TTY) but then I figured I should look for a more well known name brand one because of product support and quality etc. Then I was looking looking at Logitech (Logitech G230 Stereo Gaming Headset https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFOEY4I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_euDEub1CS072F) and I liked it. Then I saw the more expensive version, which has emulated 7.1 surround, which I don't really need, and you have to install software to use it. Another thing, is there a difference in sound quality of 3.5 mm cords vs usb input? Do they act the same to windows? Thanks. Anybody's feedback is appreciated.

2. Huntn, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Keep in mind what kind of plug you want, USB or the tradional 3.5mm plug, maybe both. The headset/mic I'm currently using has both type plugs, a USB adapter. I'd recommend mine, it is inexpensive and works well but it is under your budget. ;) Dynex 840. I'm not sure it's still being made, but it can still be purchased. Note this link shows only one left for sale. The ear muffs are comfortable, sit on the ears but don't completely cover them. Noise canceling mic and volume adjust.

3. richwoodrocket thread starter macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I'm unsure of that. :(
    I don't really know too much about them.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Unsure of what kind of plug you want? It usually makes a difference if you are playing on a laptop with limited ports. For example my MBR has 2 USB ports and a headset jack. I bought this headset because I wanted to keep the USB ports open for other devices. If a tower, usually there are plenty of USB ports so it would not matter. In my case , the headset I mentioned has plugs for both.

5. richwoodrocket, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

richwoodrocket thread starter macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Best PC gaming headset?

I have 3 usb plugs on the front of my computer and the 3.5 mm plugs. Idk I guess it doesn't really matter then. Most of the ones I'm looking at have the 3.5 mm

6. paolo- macrumors 6502a

7. richwoodrocket thread starter macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Thanks for the video link.
    And I will just say a few things here. I'm a casual gamer. Meaning around 3 hours a day. I dont really think I'm gonna notice too much difference in sound quality. I will only be using the headset so I can talk to other people and I won't have to get close to my mic so the other people can hear me.
    And per the video, I like closed ones better, because I don't want to hear the outside noise when I'm gaming.

8. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

I have over 1000 hours in Battlefield 4 on PC, and have never used anything but the earpods that came with an iPhone 5S. lol

The mic portion doesn't work obviously, but they sound great and I haven't found anything better for free.

9. richwoodrocket thread starter macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Best PC gaming headset?

Well here's a slight update. I bought a Logitech g320 and have been happy with it. My only complain is that it's a bit warm, but that's to be expected when wearing it for 3 or 4 hours at a time. ;)[​IMG]