Best Phone For Verzion ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wwjoeyd, Nov 4, 2007.

1. wwjoeyd macrumors newbie

i am very new to these forums ;)
    i have a macbook v10.5
    i am switching to verizon soon
    and since the iphone is out of the question
    what is a good phone with a full keyboard, good web browser, can connect to Leopard so i can grab pictures and what not

price < 350$

i hope this is the right place to ask
    thanks!

2. tiffp1 macrumors newbie

Best phone

Why not just switch to AT&T instead and get an iphone?

3. wwjoeyd thread starter macrumors newbie

we currently have AT&T
    but the service where we live is terrible

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Palm Treo...honestly I'm not all that up to date with CMDA phones, but I know Treos are good on the GSM side of things, so I'm guess the same is true for CMDA models too

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Where isn't AT&T's service horrible?

Maybe try the Motorola Q?

6. mets1125 macrumors regular

I second the Motorola Q... If you dont mind suretype the pearl (8130) is getting released on 11/8

7. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

The Motorola Q is good.

You might also consider the soon-to-be-released LG Voyager.

8. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I second, third, and fourth the Q-I absolutely love it. It is a fantastic phone

9. wwjoeyd thread starter macrumors newbie

10. caj macrumors member

caj

$60 bucks a month dude

I have been in this situation for along time except that I haven't bought a macbook... yet.

and I know what is exactly perfect for us

get the LG Voyager due in december it has everything, i even will have full html web browsing and it is becoming to be known as the iPhone killer

;)

11. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Not this crap again. Every new gadget that comes out with similar features need not be called an "i(Product) killer". This has been the case with every new mp3 player from about 2003-present.

And wow, full HTML browsing, just like the iPhone already has.

12. caj macrumors member

caj

yeah its like the only phone that has full HTML browsing besides the iPhone which he doesn't want, because me and him both probably don't have 60 bucks to spend each month. in my case, my family and I are in a family plan and i get my service for 9 bucks a month. don't get me wrong the iPhone is one of the best gadgets there is, i am actually a proud owner of an ipod touch, but the voyager seems to fit this guy's needs the best.

13. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

The LG Voyager doesn't sync with Leopard to begin with. You can get music, photos, etc off the SD card but forget about syncing calendars, contacts, etc.

I have VZW too, and I'm on a family plan as well, for 10 a month extra per line. But that's different than an iPhone or any data plan. I'd like to see you get the deal one gets with an iPhone (minutes, data, and texts) for any less than $80 a month with Verizon. Unlimited data costs $40 a month through Verizon, family plan or not, and that's what you'll want if you're using full HTML browsing, especially since it has no Wi-fi connectivity.

Edit: The Voyager doesn't even have full HTML browsing. From phonenews.com:
    Note: While the Voyager does feature an HTML web browser, this is not the type of browser you would find on a device like iPhone. In fact, it's the same scaled-down HTML browser that many Sprint phones use (made by Teleca), and only really performs well on xHTML mobile web sites.

14. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

8830 Verizon

I would get the Blackberry 8830. I currently have it in my office where everyone else has an iPhone. With the 8830 I can travel anywhere and have service b/c it is a world edition phone and uses CDMA and GSM when traveling outside the US. If you purchase the phone without using the discount price verizon will give you an unlock code link

*You can download the opera browser and have full HTML web browsing ability.
    *8830 Supports Verizon's 3G network, the others may do this I am not sure.
    *Email setup is great, type in your username and password, the blackberry takes care of everything else! I send and receive 50-75 emails a day for work.
    *Insert a flash card and have 2gb of media (songs and videos)
    *You can message any other blackberry user (similar to a text message) for free using blackberry messenger.
    *No Stylus unlike treos so there is nothing to keep up with, and it does not use horrible windows platform.
    *You can convert the theme to look identical to an iPhone (link)

I would also get an iPhone if AT&T steeped up the service, my co-workers love their iPhones but complain about voice quality.

If you are worried about size of the 8830, the 8130 just came to the market and gives you GPS and you can use blackberry maps or you can install google maps and other google applications. Also a 2MP camera.

I too was going to get a Q or Palm, but Palm has a poor looking future and the Q interface was not appealing to me.

Hope this helps.

15. mets1125 macrumors regular

You could only get Operamini not reg Opera. Second you will need a $45 month data plan (unlimited BB data plan) and if you want to go global you will need a $60 month data plan.

16. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Best phone I had on Verizon was my reprogrammed Sprint Treo 650.

I don't know if it's because Sprint doesn't have the same network coverage as Verizon and put in a larger battery, or a higher-gain antenna. But I typically could go 7 days with moderate usage, and still not recharge. The limit was on vacation, I had 10 days b/c I forgot the charger, and didn't get the "low batt" warning, until landing back @ home.

Signal strength was outlandish, too. I could pick up in a shielded building - think I was the ONLY person who could.

Then, for some reason, I got an iphone, and went to ATT. :confused:

17. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

Vzw

Really? My bill is 79.99 (see attached screen shot) unlimited data plan with 450 minutes. Yes I go over the minutes, but the office picks up the tab. Not sure where you found 60+45?

You can also view attachemtns in emails, such as images, word, excel, powerpoint, and PDF files. This is built into the 8830. Also Blackberry uses PUSH email, as soon as it is sent to your email, the server will push it to your hand held.

Yes I use opera mini beta 4 and love it. I can access all our web based application and view sites fairly like an iphone.

Palm's Future (link) ???

Attached Files:

18. mets1125 macrumors regular

ACII is an old plan and you still are paying $40 for data
    (39.99 for 450mins) And for global data plan which you need if you take the BB outside US it will cost you $60.

19. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I remember when Palm had a future. I'm gettin old.

20. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

ew verizon. I have them and they suck.

Have fun with your crippled phone and ****** verizon OS.

22. japresl macrumors member

if you want a phone with a full QWERTY keyboard but still looks like a cool phone--I love the enV.

23. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

umm...y would you buy that now? the voyager is available and it is one hell of a phone...its the successor to the EnV. I used one last night at the Verizon Store and it was really incredible.
    Here it is.

24. japresl macrumors member

I've heard a LOT of bad things about the voyager and read several very bad reviews of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

25. srichart1 macrumors member

srichart1

Verizon

Verizon locks down their network very well. You may not be able to sync to your computer unless you pay more $$ and go through verizon. I personally would avoid them at any cost.

Sent from my Iphone. Ha.