Best place to buy a used MacBook

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
I'm looking for a used MacBook for my girlfriend. What's the best place (online or otherwise) to look for one?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Some resellers have used or open box items. Online places included SmallDog, MacMall/MacConnection, etc. Even Best Buy will have "open box" specials its just a matter of calling and finding the stores.

Otherwise I recommend Craigslist over eBay because you can see the computer in person.

Comment

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
Some resellers have used or open box items. Online places included SmallDog, MacMall/MacConnection, etc. Even Best Buy will have "open box" specials its just a matter of calling and finding the stores.

Otherwise I recommend Craigslist over eBay because you can see the computer in person.
OK cool, I'll check those out. I would definitely go with Craigslist over eBay. I'm far too skeptical with all the scams and whatnot.

whats your budget?
Probably around $500 or less. A quick craigslist search showed a couple of macbooks 2-3 years old that should still be good.

Comment

ab1472

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2009
I work in a liquidator-esque retail shop and we probably wouldn't go much lower than $500 for a 1-2 year old macbook...and we sell stuff CHEAP! like $400 camcorders for $125 type cheap...

The good news is that macbooks are incredibly durable...when i bought acer laptops, which were very good btw (i'm not trying to talk bad bout em), i would need to get a new one every 2-3 years. I switched to Mac a little over 2 years ago and my macbook still runs like new...Also, no obnoxiously loud fan noise, which is one of the main reasons i'll never get a laptop that doesn't have an apple on it...

Comment

makismagoo99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2006
The good news is that macbooks are incredibly durable...when i bought acer laptops, which were very good btw (i'm not trying to talk bad bout em), i would need to get a new one every 2-3 years. I switched to Mac a little over 2 years ago and my macbook still runs like new...Also, no obnoxiously loud fan noise, which is one of the main reasons i'll never get a laptop that doesn't have an apple on it...
I absolutely agree that MacBooks hold up very well. My MacBook just turned 3 years old and still runs like a champ. I do care for my electronics like I'd care for my child, but I still think it's the highest quality computer I've ever owned. That's why I don't really have a problem buying a 2-3 year old MacBook.

Comment

iFirmware

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
macs hold their value very well, so you won't find recent ones for that price, maybe search ebay?

Comment

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
If you are located near a major university (especially a large, research-oriented university with a lot of students), I recommend that you check and see how students sell their computers. I notice that there is a quick turnover of computers on university campuses. Students buy and sell computers often, especially Macs. There might be a bulletin board, a forum, a user group, a newsgroup, a Facebook group, etc., that you could utilize to find a good used Mac for an inexpensive price. This has been a great way to buy and sell Macs, in my experience. Good luck to you!

Comment

omerbaker

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2009
I just picked up a year old alu-unibody macbook for $850. 2.4 G processor, 250 G HD, 2 G RAM. It had about 35 recharge cycles on the battery. Craigslist is your friend.

Comment

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2007
UK
i think if were to buy a used mac i would only purchase from apple refurbished.

Comment

danielpicasso

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2008
NJ
go refurb

i think if were to buy a used mac i would only purchase from apple refurbished.
I bought a refurb a few weeks of previous gen MB and it has firewire which brand new ones do not. it was $749. I would not look at a used anything regarding technoology

Comment