Best place to buy a used MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by makismagoo99, Dec 8, 2009.

1. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2006
    I'm looking for a used MacBook for my girlfriend. What's the best place (online or otherwise) to look for one?
  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

Dec 29, 2006
    dallas, texas
    Some resellers have used or open box items. Online places included SmallDog, MacMall/MacConnection, etc. Even Best Buy will have "open box" specials its just a matter of calling and finding the stores.

Otherwise I recommend Craigslist over eBay because you can see the computer in person.
  3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2009
  4. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2006
    OK cool, I'll check those out. I would definitely go with Craigslist over eBay. I'm far too skeptical with all the scams and whatnot.

Probably around $500 or less. A quick craigslist search showed a couple of macbooks 2-3 years old that should still be good.
  5. ab1472 macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2009
    I work in a liquidator-esque retail shop and we probably wouldn't go much lower than $500 for a 1-2 year old macbook...and we sell stuff CHEAP! like $400 camcorders for $125 type cheap...

The good news is that macbooks are incredibly durable...when i bought acer laptops, which were very good btw (i'm not trying to talk bad bout em), i would need to get a new one every 2-3 years. I switched to Mac a little over 2 years ago and my macbook still runs like new...Also, no obnoxiously loud fan noise, which is one of the main reasons i'll never get a laptop that doesn't have an apple on it...
  6. makismagoo99 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 17, 2006
    I absolutely agree that MacBooks hold up very well. My MacBook just turned 3 years old and still runs like a champ. I do care for my electronics like I'd care for my child, but I still think it's the highest quality computer I've ever owned. That's why I don't really have a problem buying a 2-3 year old MacBook.
  7. iFirmware macrumors newbie

Dec 8, 2009
    macs hold their value very well, so you won't find recent ones for that price, maybe search ebay?
  8. mward333 macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2004
    If you are located near a major university (especially a large, research-oriented university with a lot of students), I recommend that you check and see how students sell their computers. I notice that there is a quick turnover of computers on university campuses. Students buy and sell computers often, especially Macs. There might be a bulletin board, a forum, a user group, a newsgroup, a Facebook group, etc., that you could utilize to find a good used Mac for an inexpensive price. This has been a great way to buy and sell Macs, in my experience. Good luck to you!
  9. omerbaker macrumors member

Apr 19, 2009
    I just picked up a year old alu-unibody macbook for $850. 2.4 G processor, 250 G HD, 2 G RAM. It had about 35 recharge cycles on the battery. Craigslist is your friend.
  10. lightpeak macrumors regular

Dec 1, 2009
    BC, Canada

If you're Canadian:

Choose your province, choose your city and hunt and gather. ;)

(works well for *ahem* "casual encounters", too. heh-heh; so either way, you can get yourself screwed! ha!)
  11. 3121 macrumors member

Feb 7, 2007
    i think if were to buy a used mac i would only purchase from apple refurbished.
  12. danielpicasso macrumors member

Jul 21, 2008
    go refurb

I bought a refurb a few weeks of previous gen MB and it has firewire which brand new ones do not. it was $749. I would not look at a used anything regarding technoology