Best place to buy day one

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Natesac, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I have an AT&T store 10 minutes away, or various applestores 45 minutes away. Which do you think would be my best bet for day one?

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

AT&T.

Plus, if it's 10 minutes away, why wouldn't you try it?

3. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Good question dude...I've been thinking the same thing....

4. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

Yea, but you REALLY think AT&T will have it the same day Job's announces it like an Apple Store would?

5. Xjett macrumors member

Honestly, if AT&T subsidizes it, and they actually allow me (who is currently under contract) to get the iPhone at that subsidized price, then AT&T it is. If I can't, then I'll wait till Tuesday morning and hit up my local Apple Store on the way to work, or at lunch. Last time, they had plenty of units the day after the launch. I was in and out in 5 minutes.

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Wherever you want. There won't be any shortages, just as there weren't any shortages on the opening weekend of iPhone 1.0, eh?

7. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I thought that the Apple store had many many more iPhones than the ATT stores on Day 1. They did in Colorado at least.

8. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

sweet. AT&T it is. I called them the other day and asked if they had iphones. He said yes so I hung up in fear of temptation. I wonder if the subsidy will be in the form of a rebate or somthing? How else would get the subsidy if you buy at the applestore?

i have the day off the 9th and i don't work untill 5pm on the 10th. it's close

9. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

I wondered about this too. Although, since you sign up online, it shouldn't matter where you buy the phone from. Nobody really knows yet, it could be:

A) Apple just included the subsidy when you purchase the phone. Although how would they know if you were going to sign up with ATT
    B) You pay full price at retail, then the subsidy kicks in when you sign up online. Although, I don't know how they would reimburse you. A rebate check. Perhaps you get a credit on your bill. Or perhaps a staggered credit ($20/month).

Either way, it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

10. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

it will in a form of Rebate Check Card with an expiration date.

11. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

in that case I would just spend it on AT&T bills. they are getting that money one way or another

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

That be the point.

13. neven macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that this way (with the subsidy) they are getting less money from each individual buyer, no?

The upside for them is, cheaper phones means more phones and plans sold. They'll cover the subsidy cost with plan volume.

14. Natesac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Bingo! Investing in the customer

15. farts macrumors newbie

wow, its like time travel......back to this time last year. There are dozens of old threads about this topic from V1, I'm sure the same physics are still in play.

16. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

ok

id say costco..they usually get plenty of stock thats where my friend bought his

17. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

They bought an iPhone at Costco?!?

or was there a hint of sarcasim there?

18. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Since when are iPhones sold at Costco?? I know they sell iPods/iPod Touches, but I've never seen iPhones.

19. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

They will likely not announce the phone if it's not available same-day. It's not a good decision to announce something and watch the sales (even though they are not readily available) of the current iPhone to cease. I think the new one will be available when Steve walks off the stage - or within a week. **AT&T is the place to go! -Where I was able to get mine without a problem.

20. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

If the store nearest you is a crowded or popular one, I doubt you will be able to grab one there UNLESS you get there early

I plan on driving 20-30 miles to grab mine as I know of a few AT&T stores a little further from my big cities population that should have some 3G phones available

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

+1 California as well. I got the very last of 16 8GB iPhones and I was in line for 6 hours at AT&T.

22. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

If you live in a small rural area, then your ATT store might not have that many in stock.

As apposed to the Apple Store who always will get more in.

I remember last June, I was at the ATT store right in Downtown Boston and was lucky to be #3 in line.

The Apple Store still had plenty of phones left at Midnight and there line was probably 5x larger than the ATT store.

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

There weren't any 16GB iPhones on day 1. Are you suggesting that there was a rush on 16GB phones on the day that this bump was announced?

24. Tytanius macrumors member

If you re-read his post he is saying the last of sixteen 8GB iPhones.

25. Kyle Appleseed macrumors member

Don't you think :apple: would want to build some hype all week and release it on Thursday or Friday next week?