Best place to get a MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by artek, Apr 19, 2008.

1. artek macrumors newbie

2. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

That is 400 dollars off but that isn't the newest penyrn chip but it is still really good.

I would suggest macmall or if you don't need the latest machine go refurb.

ChrisN

3. artek thread starter macrumors newbie

And how big a difference is the penyrn? Is it worth it?

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Not a lot of difference. Apparently what the people have told me, it is just more energy efficient and 5-10% faster. You will only notice it when you buy the 2.5GHz and 2.6 GHz version since it has 6MB cache.

If 2000 is too much, then go ahead and buy the pcconnection one. Merom is still good. You will still enjoy your MBP. :)

5. artek thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

7. youradhere4222 macrumors 6502

8. jaredisme macrumors newbie

9. eyespii macrumors 6502

definitely make sure to double check with pcconnection about their return/exchange policy. Depending on how lenient they are, you may want to consider Amazon if not for their phenomenal return policy (free return shipping no questions asked).

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

11. artek thread starter macrumors newbie

I never got something Refurbished...Can yo guys tell me exactly what they do to the laptops and how they get them back? Scary :p

12. Skystar macrumors 6502

I am thinking of selling my 1st Gen MBP to get one of those refurbs from Apple. I have read nothing but good things about the refurbs, and some people say they may even be unsold new ones. Either way, you still get the Apple 1 year warranty, with the option of Apple Care. ;)

13. artek thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I will get the Refurb :cool: I will wait a few days and see if i can come up with some extra cach to get the 2499 one for 1649...Gotta talk to daddy :p

14. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

sometimes refurbs come with extra ram and/or bigger harddrive upgrades for free too... refurb is def the way to go. usually even better than new...

15. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Well refurbished is not new apple replaces damn near everything about the computer. refurbished is a great way to go then get apple care and you pretty much have a new machine.

16. artek thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I think I might be able to get this

Model Refurbished MacBook Pro
    Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 2GB (two SO-DIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300)
    Display 15.4-inch (diagonal), 1440 x 900 resolution, TFT widescreen
    PCI Express Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI
    Video Built-in iSight Camera, DVI, VGA (DVI to VGA adapter included)
    Audio Combined optical digital input/audio line in, combined optical digital output/headphone out, stereo speakers, microphone
    Hard disk drive 160GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm

Only thing is the HD, would be nice to get a 200gb :p

Either way I am super hyped :D

17. MARTB macrumors newbie

Brand new 15" 2.4 200GB for $1818 @ Amazon with $150 rebate +NO tax, free shipping. Why go refurb?.....get 200GB, multi touch, pernry chip which is cooler and the battery last longer.. I think the old model refurbs are only $170 cheaper @ Apple...so for $170 more you get so much more.

18. JoshLV macrumors regular

I bought mine from the Apple store in a mall and they were very good. They helped me decide on what I wanted to get, and if I need any extra accessories. I guess it is a little bit more expensive to buy from them, but they helped me out with the student discount which shaved a few hundred dollars off.

19. ricpac macrumors member

With the student discount, the baseline MacBook Pro would only cost $1799 + tax.

20. artek thread starter macrumors newbie

How many slots does the Macbook Pro have for ram?

21. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

it can hold 2 sticks

22. PDE macrumors 68020

I wholeheartedly recommend amazon as the best place to buy - you get great prices, free and fast shipping, no taxes and the best no-hassle online return policy around. As you may have seen, MBPs are no immune to hardware defects and knowing that you can return easily without being questioned is a great benefit of amazon. They also pay for return shipping.

Apple is good too, but their shipping is slow and getting a replacement is kind of a hassle since you have to deal with tech support, waiting on the phone, waiting for boxes etc. If you want to buy from apple, I'd go into a store if possible/.

23. artek thread starter macrumors newbie

My best bet is to get a Refurb and I will do that I think. My budget is about 1600.

24. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Just to throw out another option if you were open to it; a pre-owned machine. I just received a 15" MBP 2.2ghz (santa rosa) in pristine condition with Applecare until 2010 for less than $1400 shipped. This is the same machine you linked to in your original post. It was from a very reputable vendor on eBay. Again, not new but for the $ I saved I could not be any happier. Just a thought.... and if you are buying a used machine that has AppleCare on it, you are 100% covered.

25. artek thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I use the student discount on top of the refurb system?