Best place to get Mini Display port to DVI?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kinkster, Oct 23, 2008.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know a good online place to pick up one of these? I don't know how common they are but hopefully there's something cheaper then apple..

2. danny_w macrumors 601

Only from Apple or an Apple supplier. The miniDisplayPort connector is apple proprietary, and AFAIK nobody else has started making such a cable.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Apple is only supplier, besides, they aren't that expensive anyways $29.

4. poblack macrumors regular

Got mines yesterday at the Apple store. They sell out quickly. And yes, they are expensive ($29.99).

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I say not expensive when you considered the Dual Link DVI adapter is a whopping $100.00.

So paying $29 for an VGA or DVI adapter doesn't sound that expensive, it's a miracle Apple didn't go for $34.99 or something a bit higher.

6. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

You seem to have to much money. $29 not expensive? Are you serious? Maybe next time you could ask at the Apple store if they can charge you a little more, since you don't mind, and give the next guy a better price :rolleyes:

The Mini-DVI adaptors where almost halve price from this.

7. Jpoon macrumors 6502

LOL it's people like this that allow Apple to let cusotmers take on the cost for stupid proprietary things like this. There is something wrong with having to pay for a connector for a non standard port on computers that are already a premium price. It's just like the headphone jack on the 1st gen iPhone. Have to buy something extra just to use your own headphones

8. dnguyen macrumors regular

I've been looking too, i guess you can only get them from apple or an apple reseller.

they should have been included with the mb imo

9. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

On point! DisplayPort is a VESA OPENSOURCE..... and Apple has modified it to miniDP! But whats really worth wondering is if VESA allows anyone to patent their modified opensource creation or all modifications mandatorily need to be opensource as well? In case of latter expect loads of cheap converters soon!

10. kingtj macrumors 68020

I see both sides of this, really.....

Do I think $29 is kind of pricey for an adapter? Yeah... But at the same time, demanding Apple include these with every notebook just means a lot of people are stuck paying for something they'll never use in the price of their machine. (And what's Apple supposed to do in this case? Include all *3* adapters for Mini-Displayport to VGA, to DVI and to dual DVI? If not, do they just include one or two and anger everyone who thought they were left out?)

The first iPods out included a bunch of accessories, a small belt-clip type carrying case, etc. As time went on, they lowered the price on the iPods and gave you better specs for the money, but all those extras disappeared too. Some people were mad when they found they no longer got things like a free dock with their iPod anymore .... but many more probably appreciated the improved pricing.

11. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

I agree, that including the adapters is probably not the best solution. However, the price point for these adapters is just plain wrong. Everybody who wants/needs to hook up to an external display must buy one directly from Apple. The previous generation of Macbook also needed mini-DVI adapter that cost 19$ (still not cheap). Now they even want 10$ more :eek:
    If anything they should be cheaper now, since also the MacBook Pros need them and they are in demand in far greater quantity...

12. scorpiusdeus macrumors member

I earn my money by holding a cardboard sign at the bottom of freeway off ramps, so that's a lot to me.

Seriously though, It kind of makes me annoyed that they don't supply this connection for free since THEY made their own product incompatible.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, I am used buying adapters much more expensive for stuff at work. So when I see Apple's price, I thank God Apple did not charge more.

As for an individual not used seeing these prices yes, I understand the frustration of having to cough up $10 more, specially in today's economy. However, we are at luck Apple didn't go higher.

my $0.02