Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddkkpp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2011
How do you update your iPhone?

Wipe clean; install as a new phone, sync with iCloud?
or update from the settings app?
or backup to iTunes, clean install, restore from iTunes?
or backup to iCloud, clean install, restore from iCloud?

Which way do you do it and why? (did I miss any methods)?

PS. I'm personally not interested in doing any beta testing, and I'm thinking the clean install/sync w/ iCloud will give the phone a new, fresh start. though I'm loathe to lose my music. Any idea how to save the music on your iPhone as a playlist in iTunes for easy-resyncing?

thanks!

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Manchester, United Kingdom
How do you update your iPhone?

Wipe clean; install as a new phone, sync with iCloud?
or update from the settings app?
or backup to iTunes, clean install, restore from iTunes?
or backup to iCloud, clean install, restore from iCloud?

Which way do you do it and why? (did I miss any methods)?

PS. I'm personally not interested in doing any beta testing, and I'm thinking the clean install/sync w/ iCloud will give the phone a new, fresh start. though I'm loathe to lose my music. Any idea how to save the music on your iPhone as a playlist in iTunes for easy-resyncing?

thanks!
What I do every year is a Restore from iTunes and then set up as a new phone. This is mostly because I use the beta versions, but it’s always good to start from scratch with a major release (at least in my opinion). I don’t use iCloud for photos - I just backup them on a external hard drive. When it comes to apps - I use like 10, so it’s easy to reinstall them. I also use Apple Music, so my music library is in place after restore.

sbcdk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
It is not clean install, if you restore from backup. It is one or the other...

sbcdk

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
As long as you don't restore a backup, you are doing a clean install. Syncing is fine. It will bring back data only, not the settings that might be an issue.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
I just do OTA updates and my phone has been perfectly fast with no issues. If I have any issues I do a restore from iTunes backup, that has not failed me so far. If I had an issue even that couldn't fix, that's when I'd do a clean restore.

ZivaD

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Im going to see how the first few days go before updating, although im currently downloading it from software updat on my mini, internet here is terrible so its showing 18 hours ‘till downloaded, I may be home sooner and have everything else updated by the time its finished.
I usually download after a back up via iTunes, so thats my actual plan for everything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.