Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I was using keepvid.com but suddenly I wasn't able to download the videos anymore. Anyone suggest any other alternatives on how download and save videos from youtube. I am mostly saving official music videos.

bluap84

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
UK
I was using keepvid.com but suddenly I wasn't able to download the videos anymore. Anyone suggest any other alternatives on how download and save videos from youtube. I am mostly saving official music videos.

thats the one i use. along with the snapmp3

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
ClipGrab is the best program i've found for such things. It even does the simple things like automatically selects a YouTube video if you've got it open or have the link in your Clipboard.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
ClipGrab is the best program i've found for such things. It even does the simple things like automatically selects a YouTube video if you've got it open or have the link in your Clipboard.
thank you for this. after trying and failing with a few others, this recommendation fit the bill.

legreve

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Denmark
Once again I'll suggest JDownloader... it will grab all sizes available of the video, the mp3 part and the FLV part.

Have JDownloader open, and then just copy the address line of the youtube vid. JD will then pick it up from the clipboard and with a right click and "Continue with all" you start downloading it... I've never tried anything easier.

Best part... you can associate your Rapidshare, Filesonic, Hotfile, anything, with the program and it will use your premium membership to download at full speed... again just by copying the address of the file.

Second best part... they also added an app for it now, so you can watch your downloads from afar and I think there was even an option to remote desktop your computer from the app. I haven't tried that out yet though.

skrista86

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Here is a way easier way of doing this.

go to www.macyoutubeconverter.com, download and install Youtube Downloader for Mac, is a free installable software
Launch Safari and browse the videos you want to download. When you begin to play the video, a download button could appear on the top of the video. Directly click the download button to add the video you need to the download list.
That's it! The video downloader begins to work.

apeden

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I just use MPEG streamclip, you can get it for free off of google. It should cost money to use this program but its all free. You can do so many things with it. Its an amazing program!

howardnow

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
DOWNLOADING VIDEO FROM YOUTUBE ON MAC - FREE

Open the desired HD youtube video clip in Safari you want to download.
(best to open in new Safari Window)

Open Activity window (in Safari window menu).

Find URL of video (the one that's multi-megabytes long and probably still downloading as you're looking through the URL list).

Select the URL.

Option-double-click to download the file.

If you want or need to convert the file once downloaded, then open it in mpeg stream clip (convert to quicktime, etc)

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
Select the URL.

Option-double-click to download the file.

Nothing happens when I option-double click the URL for the youtube video I'd like to download. This is what the URL looks like: http://o-o.preferred.nuq04s10.v24.l...11818400&key=yt1&ipbits=0&id=37ae873e84010a19

Is that URL just not workable in this situation?

Thanks.

EDIT:
Nevermind. It did work. It just had to re-download it again when I option-double clicked it, so it took a while. Didn't notice until the Downloads folder in the dock was bouncing. Thank you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.