Best replacement hdd for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nervosA, Jul 25, 2013.

1. nervosA macrumors newbie

Hi there. I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I sure can't find any relevant info.
    So, if anyone has any experience in this area, please consider pointing me in the right direction.

I have a late 2011 15 inch Macbook Pro
    2.2 gHz. Core i7 - 8 gb. RAM - OSX Lion 10.7.5 - 500 gb. stock hdd.

I produce music and DJ w/ my Macbook Pro and I'm pretty decently informed on technology and such. But, basically my livelihood depends greatly on my computer.
    I've done a bunch of research into this matter and found a few sshd, 7200 RPM hdd that may fit the bill, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any specific experience.
    Reading product reviews drives me nuts! It's impossible to know if something is good or bad by reading them because EVERYONE has different experiences.

So...........Does anyone know of any good :
    HDD
    SSHD
    1 TB. (or more)
    That is a good replacement for my Macbook Pro 15 inch Late 2011 machine.

Thank You in advance.

2. LobaltSS macrumors newbie

I'm actually researching the same thing for my Early '11 MBP. The internal HDD I have been looking at is the WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm.

Has fantastic reviews and it's on Crucial.com's site as one of the options to buy, so it must be a good drive.

But...someone did mention that drive causing kernel panics, and that's what I'm (literally) researching right now. You should checkout that drive (and aforementioned reported issue). I don't know if the kernel panics are a true issue or not though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well a sshd will always be better then a hdd. Since you work on music a 7200 rpm drive is a must and if you want capacity then the hitachi has a 1tb 7200rpm drive, people have said its a good drive.
    If capacity is not an issue and neither is cost then try for a ssd drive.
    The seageates hybrid drives have some good reviews.

About the other poster speaking of kernel panics, i had asked my AASP about upgrading my hard drive and they told me that i have the max capacity which was available for that model Late 2011 and increasing to 1tb might cause kernel panics. I still however inquired for a 750gb 7200rpm and their quoting price was $350:eek:, I could get 5 750gb 7200 rpm drives if i went to our local computer parts market. They were quoting $300 for 8gb apple branded ram while i got corsair vengeance 8gb ram for $90

4. msavwah macrumors 6502

I've been using a seagate hybrid 750gb for a while and love it. 7200rpm

The 1T hybrid they make is very misleading as it has the 5400rpm hdd, yet doesn't seem to show in the specs anywhere I have seen other than reviews from people who found out only by installing them.

5. LobaltSS macrumors newbie

$350 is ridiculous. They are less than $100 on amazon

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Western Digital Scorpio Black.

Simple, elegant.

7. LobaltSS macrumors newbie

This is the drive I was talking about up above, have you had any issues with the kernel panics from the sudden motion sensor the drive has built in?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No. I have had it for over 4 years now. I have the 500GB version of this drive.

9. LobaltSS macrumors newbie

Okay great, thanks a lot.