Best site for replacing MBP battery? (UK)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevearm, May 7, 2012.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all, I need to replace my 2009 MBP's battery, and was looking for any recommendations for online sites that sell them? I've found a few but I'm not sure how genuine they are.

Thanks. Btw, only looking for UK sites.

2. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Depends on whether you have a Mid-2009 or an Early-2009 MBP and are seeking to have the battery replaced or just looking to order a battery.

If you have a non-user replaceable battery (Mid-2009) you should ONLY have it done by Apple or an AASP.

If you have a user-replaceable battery (Early-2009) you should buy a genuine Apple battery from a reputable retailer with the lowest price.

3. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? It's a mid 2009 model, but I found lots of pages that sell replacement batteries for it?

I ended up ordering this: http://www.atlaptopbattery.co.uk/or...ok-pro-13-inch-mb990ll-a-genuine-battery.html

iFixit seems to think I can just unscrew a couple of screws and replace, easily enough? Can I ask why you think I can't?

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Your plan to replace it yourself with an original Apple battery is excellent.

With just a little patience, you'll find that you can do the job easily.

I've done mine, and several for friends. Most important is to use a genuine Apple battery.

You'll enjoy the satisfaction of doing it yourself :)

5. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! It seems quite easy really, I did the RAM and HDD and it took 2 minutes.

Now I just need to hope the one I ordered is a genuine Apple one and not some knock off, especially considering I paid via Paypal to someone called "shijin zhao"

6. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

My apologies, I thought you were looking for a mail-in service for some reason.

It is quite easy to do, and I'm sure you can do it yourself.

I am suspicious about the battery at the link you posted as the price is about 2/3 of what AASPs pay for the same part. Compare it very carefully to the battery that you take out of the MBP to ensure that it is in fact genuine.

Make sure you get the tri-lobe screwdriver to unscrew the original battery, those screws are pretty delicate and are usually seated pretty tightly.

Sorry my initial suggest was way off.

7. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

No problem, thanks for clarifying and for the extra info.

Bit worried about the battery I ordered as well to be honest. Is there an honest reputable site online that sells them? I found ifixit but they're US based which obviously isn't ideal

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

9. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I would recommend that you contact a local AASP, as dealing with someone who has a direct agreement with Apple will all but guarantee that you get genuine parts and good advice.

I'm not familiar with any Apple sites in the UK (similar to iFixit). What concerns you about buying from iFixit? Timeframe, Import duties?

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

In all honesty that site looks very shady. There is no contact info other than an emails address, and all the logos (visa/PayPal/UPS/DHL) are just images with no clickable link. The fact that they made you use PayPal when they display MasterCard and Visa is even more weird. I'd be surprised if the product is genuinely Apple.

11. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dammit. Right I'm off to try and cancel.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere legit online I can buy the replacement battery then?

12. Billywiz1307 macrumors member

I'm also looking for the same replacement Steve. How did you get on with the battery you ordered?
    I didn't want to let Apple replace it and they wouldn't sell me a battery over the counter for me to fit. You're right, it's easy enough to do if you're competent.
    BTW, Applestore in Manchester quoted 3 different prices to do it from 3 different alleged genius's.

13. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I emailed them asking to cancel my order, not heard anything as of yet, which pretty much confirms suspicions that it's a dodgy site. Really annoyed but will continue to see what I can do.

As for where to get a proper battery, I'm still none the wiser. I was going to pop into an Apple store to see if they had any for sale there? It doesn't look like the UK has any sites that sell legit ones!

14. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Here is what I would do. Please note that I have no doubts about your skills, and that if you could find the part you could do all of this on your own.

Apple offers a battery replacement service for their laptops that have non-user replaceable batteries.

In the UK it costs £99, and is a mail-in service, unless you can take it to an Apple Store or AASP.

Because the price of a legitimate OEM battery is going to be at least £60-70, I would just recommend letting Apple do it.

Heres the link: http://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookair/service/battery/

You are going to waste more time looking for an original battery and being jerked around by various sellers.

If you want to have the experience, by all means, keep looking. I hope someone can chime in and provide more info on where to find a battery in the UK.

If you just want it to work and be done with it, call Apple.

Did you see my question above regarding why you didn't want to purchase from iFixit?

15. stevearm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry forgot to reply about that, well I would order from them but they're out of stock of the one I need. And I'd rather not get a used one, even if it does come with a guarantee.

Thanks for the tip, you're probably right, I'll just spend a few more quid and take it into an Apple store. I've just booked a Genius Bar appointment for Monday, hopefully it won't take long to do.

Thanks again for your tips

16. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Don't buy from iFixit, it's too expensive.
    You could buy the same Apple genuine battery from a high-rated reputable seller on eBay twice cheaper!
    No jokes! :rolleyes:

17. parish macrumors 65816

parish

The definitely aren't genuine Apple batteries

and

And several other similar phrases

18. Gomff macrumors 6502a

OP, let us know how you resolved this....very interested!

19. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I would just book an appointment, tell Apple that it`s for a battery change. You will get the correct battery, some level of warranty, it`s not like you are going to save a huge amount by the DIY approach and you may risk receiving a poor quality knockoff battery that will only fail prematurely or worse.

20. MadTester macrumors regular

MadTester

Have you heard of an approved Apple reseller named KRCS? Have a look/chat with them and see what they can offer. I have used them in the past but, I do most of my business with the Apple store in Liverpool (even though I live in yorkshire).

21. AppleMacFinder, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

By the DIY approach, it is possible to get a battery twice cheaper! ;)
    From the one of eBay high-rated sellers with history, who obviously
    wouldn't be fooling their customers by claiming that the battery is genuine - if it is not.
    Apple's battery factory in China produces more batteries than Apple orders,
    to sell the extra batteries later as the replacement parts.
    So, if you are buying from a reliable place, you will get the genuine Apple battery, and also save around $60.

The only problem you could face is that you need two rare screwdrivers and a spudger tool
    (for a new models with "built-in" batteries), but they could be bought really cheap from Dealextreme.
    The whole replacement process is as easy as replacing RAM or Hard Drive.

22. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to go as far as to say that this guy is completely wrong, but you would be wise to ignore this 'advice' and listen to what GGJStudios said and get a real Apple battery.

Trying to find an 'as good as OEM, but not OEM' battery is a fool's errand. And any battery that is as good as an Apple battery (but isn't technically) will be priced accordingly, as there is a lot of garbage on the market, and people know that.

23. AppleMacFinder, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Cool story

I was not talking about "as good as OEM" battery, but about a true OEM genuine Apple battery.
    Please, read my previous post more carefully.

GGJstudios doesn't recommend getting a knockoff battery, and I completely agree with him.
    Buy only genuine Apple battery!

However, you cannot state that the genuine Apple battery could be bought only from Apple.
    As I said earlier, the factory in China manufactures more batteries than Apple orders,
    to sell the extra batteries later as the replacement parts.

Because you are not paying the premium price for labor, the battery will be two times cheaper for you! :rolleyes:

I have recently bought a genuine Apple battery from eBay's high rated seller for $64 , instead of paying $120 to Apple.

Why am I sure that the battery I have bought is genuine Apple battery?
    :apple: It looks the same;
    :apple: The design capacity is the same;
    the current capacity and performance are approximately the same as they were when my Macbook Pro was new
    (checked several times with CoconutBattery + my user experience)
    :apple: The seller has a quite high feedback rating, don't think he is fooling his customers by claiming that the battery is genuine if it is not.

The decision is made by OP.

My final words to OP:

1) You could get the genuine Apple battery from eBay high rated seller
    and avoid paying the price for labor, to spend the saved money on yourself.

2) Battery replacement is as easy as RAM or Hard Drive replacement, even a child can do it.

3) Buying the genuine Apple battery not from Apple is a smart move,
    like buying the RAM not from Apple and buying the Hard Drive not from Apple.
    People do that because they want to save money, and they lose nothing.

If you want an additional info, please PM me.
    I will provide you the eBay links and will guarantee that the battery you are going to get is genuine.

24. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Like I say you are not saving a significant amount, given the life-cycle of the battery and if you do break anything in the process it`s on you. For those that want to go for DIY best bet is to look at the iFixit guides so you can see what is involved before breaking out the tools. I have seen my fair share of damaged electronics due to good intention, if you have the skill anything is possible, if you don't it`s prudent to proceed with some caution.

25. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

I almost agree with you, except one point: around 50% of the price is significant,
    you could save $60 or buy a second battery.