Best Speaker Hookup to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kingshrubb, Dec 12, 2008.

1. kingshrubb macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Hey I wanted to buy a speaker system to hookup to my MBP to play music in my room. Anyone know which would be the best to purchase-- or if it is even possible to hook up speakers to the MBP because I see hardly any audio outputs. Thx.

-shrubb

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can use Airport Express to wirelessly play iTunes music on any stereo speakers.

3. kingshrubb thread starter macrumors regular

kingshrubb

But not with Airport Extreme? And is it the same quality as wired?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, not the Extreme. Yes, same quality. You won't be able to tell any difference.

5. kingshrubb thread starter macrumors regular

kingshrubb

Thx man, appreciate the help. <3

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's not the same quality as Toslink, but just stereo it's pretty much the same. And Bose speakers are overrated.

7. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If quality is important, use the Toslink port. The cable you need can be found on monoprice.com for about $5.

And don't buy Bose junk. It's exactly like the other crap in Walmart, but with a Bose logo and much higher price tag.

8. UbuntuFu macrumors regular

I have to disagree. It's not junk. Its not like Monster charging 100 bucks for a cable that monoprice charges 5 bucks for. The Bose musicmonitor speakers sound great for their size, I have yet to find a set that small yet with full sound and nice bass w/o a subwoofer. I would love to own a set. But not for $400. 200. yes.

9. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I agree with you. Bose by far has the best iPhone speaker set. I looked at all of the iPhone compatible ones and every one said all of the other speaker sets were better than the Bose one because it was cheaper, sounded as good and the set may have offered more features.

Well I went into the apple store to see if this was right. False, the Bose set sounded way better than all of the other sets. It beat JBL and every one else. I honestly think people slam bose because they cant afford it. Yeah it can be a little over priced but if quality is what your looking for its hard to find better.

10. lscangus macrumors 6502

11. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

well then please inform us of a better computer sound system that cost between $250-$400.

12. LeoFio macrumors regular

Harman Kardon Soundsticks all the way (even though I have the JBL Creature II speakers).

The only thing you will notice with the airport express wireless speaker setup is a slight delay in sound output when you click on a song to play. Also, it only works with itunes, unless you get a program like Airfoil.

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

how does to airport's D/A converter compare to that in the MBP? does it have the weird "R2D2" noises? (as it's commonly called)

14. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

15. lscangus macrumors 6502

um.... M-audio are quite nice

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd get the B&W 685S. These are amazing speakers for the money. Hook them up to a decent amp and they are amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hook them up to the mbp and they just blow me away. And my previous set of speakers were b&w 805S (costs $2800) a pair as to the 685S ($550 a pair) but for the $$ the 685 is very very close to the 805S.

I use the 685S for home theatre and music listening.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

18. iphonematt Guest

I highly recommend Bose computer Speakers. The Companion 3's are probably my favorite. They sound great and don't take much space.

19. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I bought the Bose portable one for the iPod and use it hooked to my mac. Works great and gives more options than a pair of computer speakers.