Best speaker system for under $100

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jshelton, Nov 19, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I need a different set of speakers for my setup. There are an overwhelming number of options though. Logitech has several different types in that price range. I want some that will be great for music and movies. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The general recommendations are going to be some Bose product that I won't recommend and people will make jokes about. The Sound Sticks which people seem to be giving a lot of credence to these days. I'll recommend the Altec Lansing FX6021 over those, which will lead to another discussion. Then someone will recommend the Logitech Z-2300. At this point, someone will recommend that something from Wal-Mart that costs $25.00 and they will swear it that's greatest thing ever. Someone will then recommend Bose and get flamed, followed by the comment about get yourself a good set of cans (headphones), because those will always sound better. Somewhere along the way the M-Audio's will be thrown around, followed by people like me recommending a different set of pro monitors, followed by another Bose posts. A good chance there will be a discussion about the Logitech-Z5500s, which are a good choice. There are a couple of intangibles: someone might recommend the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, Creative's T40 or some other Logitech that's probably not as good as the Z-2300s. After about 20 posts or so, the general consensus will be reached by a couple of users, you should probably just go hear them for yourself, making the thread well...you can decide...

My recomendation is the Swan M10:
    Thread.
    Review.
    mroogle.

Lastly, my thoughts on Bose. Audiophiles will tell you never to buy Bose. People like me, that want to be audiophiles will tell you not to buy Bose. I don't think they sound awful, but when you place the price tag next to them, then they start to sound awful. For the most part, the Bose stuff is mid-range stuff at top range prices. With that being said, if you are satisfied with your purchase, then more power to you. To say that Bose is "junk" is probably a little overstating it, because they are no worse then any of the other companies. But, to say that they are the best, is giving way too much credit. I love my 901s, but I believe that the in-ear headphones belong only in one place, the trash.

Speakers Discussions Are Rampant:
    A good example of my predictions are found here.
    Recently, people decided to think that the post above was a good one
    Here is one thread for $100 USD. Good Discussion.
    USB Speaker Discussion Here
    Here is another discussion
    $200 Discussion Here
    If you have questions about external hard drives, click
    If you would like to see me and some other user get into a long arguement, click here, the good stuff is on page four, but it's start on the bottom of page 3.

3. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

thegoldenmackid does it again.......is there anything you do not know about.....i now find myself reading all your posts if I have any questions

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I know about speakers and headphones, but just a little, however I have owned/tested way too many. As for the hard drive, that was just trying to be thorough. Those are really the only things I "know" about.

5. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

Er, thanks...I think.

I'm going to lie down.

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Did a search for speakers. I have a Dell 30" I use with a MBP in clamshell mode, so I mostly need something for listening to screencasts and iTunes. I also just hooked up a PS3 to the Dell, so this will double for audio audio from that. I just ordered the Swan M10 for $120 shipped.