Best speakers for 2010 Mac Pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by newmacuser23, Nov 12, 2010.

1. newmacuser23 macrumors member

I am looking for the best speakers for listening to music, podcasts, videos and some light video and audio editing. I don't have a particular price in mind.

So which speakers are the best?

2. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

Generally speaking, speakers you use for editing aren't the same you'd use for listening to music/gaming/movies.

That said, I have two pairs (but not on a Mac Pro, I use on my Macbook):

Logitech Z-5500
    JBL 4328's Studio Monitors

For price, the Z-5500's are the best sounding overall speakers I've ever owned, for music/gaming/movies they blow the $1200 JPL's out of the water.

You could use the Z-5500's for monitoring, but I'd adjust the levels so they're as flat as possible.

3. thewebgal macrumors member

thewebgal

i took the audio out, fed it to Aux In on a vintage Harman Kardon receiver, and now I can use any speakers out there with that - I'm no longer limited to amplified computer speakers. I'm using a pair of JBL L20T3 speakers now, but I've had other things connected and they all work well.

4. allbald macrumors member

The following advice comes from Ars Technica and echoes what the posters what posters above have said but check it out nonetheless:

Speakers
    Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers

For computer speakers in a surround setup, the Logitech Z-5500s are among the better ones available. Serious audio aficionados will probably prefer actual home theater components...

If you can skip surround sound speaker setups, higher-quality stereo or 2.1 setups include the Swan M200MkIII, M-Audio BX8a, Behringer MS40, and Axiom Audiobyte v3. All tend to sound far better than even the best "multimedia" speakers generally found at your local computer retailer, but they aren't cheap, and they don't get ear-bleeding-loud or provide as much thump.

Another consideration is headphones or headsets, particularly for multiplayer gaming, or as another approach to hearing positional audio. The Sennheiser MM 450 headset or HD 595 headphones are a good start, along with the Etymotic ER-4p in-ear monitor (IEM), and honestly, the range of choices is huge. Browsing the Audio/Visual forum right here on Ars might be a good start if your audio needs go beyond the typical multimedia setup.

The Logitech Z-5500 5.1 setup packs 505W RMS total power, with 62W RMS to four channels and 69W RMS to the center, plus 188W RMS to the subwoofer. The 33Hz-20kHz frequency response and 93.5dB signal-to-noise ratio isn't too bad for computer speakers, although we advise that you focus more on the sound than the raw specs.

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

not to start a flame war but logictech z-5500 are a 5.1 system and jbl 4328 studio monitors are not. so if you listen to the logictech you hear 5 speakers and a sub if you listen to the jbl's it is only a pair. unless the poster was referred to the 5.1 system below. the jbl system below is 5 speakers and a sub.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/468530-REG/JBL_LSR4328P5_1_LSR4328P_5_1_Active_5_1.html

my question is 4 fold
    1) how much do you want to spend?
    2) how many speakers do you want a 2.0 system a 2.1 system a 5.1 system?
    3) size matters so what size do you want them to be?
    4) last movies or music or both

by the way A lot of people like the logic system. I would say this may be better note I am not the seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-NHT-Verve-5..._Subwoofers&hash=item588953ab6a#ht_2248wt_907

I purchased from him. he will go down in price on that setup. if you want 5.1

6. newmacuser23 thread starter macrumors member

Well I will only be editing now and then so the music and podcast listening and video watching would take priority.

7. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

Yes the JPL's I listed are not 5.1, most monitors are not unless you are mixing specifically for surround.

I'd recommend the Z-5500's then for an overall setup. You CAN change the inputs on them for Stereo instead of 5.1 if you need them for mixing (which is what I do for quick and dirty audio mixing if my JPL's are not hooked up).

8. newmacuser23 thread starter macrumors member

1. After thinking about it a bit more I think 300 max I forgot their are speakers in the thousands and as the editing is in the mild league I don't think I need to go that high
    2. the number does not really matter my area where the mac pro is placed is pretty large
    3. the size of the logitechs looked a good size or these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harman-Kard...TF8&coliid=I3ABU8251RRK5T&colid=3JEKXYVUZW51O
    4. Both

9. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

That leaves out the B&W MM-1's. They sound great, as most all B&W stuff does but they are $500/pair IIRC.

10. dknightd macrumors 6502

11. JavaTheHut macrumors 6502

JavaTheHut

IMHO I would suggest Pro audio and get some " Active Studio Monitors" they have built in amps and run convection cooling so the are quiet running.
    The generic computer speaker setups out there are K-rap

12. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I like studio monitors myself :) way nicer than any PC speaker
    I have a set of M-Audio BX5a the link above has some nice stuff also

I also use Denon D2000 headphones low ohm easily driven off your computer and sound very nice they run about $225+ street price it seems ? up or down depending :) but when you really want to hear stuff the quality is great

the Denon 1001 headphones are also nice for the money $125 or so wife has a set

having the combination is nice something to think about ?

if I got basic computer speakers get some nice headphones for when you really want to enjoy the music the way it should be ;)

13. toxic macrumors 68000

14. newmacuser23 thread starter macrumors member

Due to the fact that as far as I know surround only comes in movies and I have a 46 inch tv for them plus I am getting into Blu-Ray so I would say 2.1 would be sufficient

15. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I just got Logitech Z623's yesterday (2.1) and I LOVE them. I only use them for music at high volumes and I love lots of bass in my music and these were prefect for me! I can't recommend them enough. I was going to get Z5500 but I have no use for 5.1 and they are cheap ($175 Canadian, I know they're WAY cheaper in other countries). The amount of bass the sub kicks out is AMAZING for the size of the thing.

16. toxic macrumors 68000

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. otherwise shelf speakers (monitors) and a separate sub. Swan, Audioengine, M-Audio...I don't think you can really go wrong.

I used to have Logitech Z-2300's...they aren't bad, but there's better. the lack of tweeters kills them.

17. newmacuser23 thread starter macrumors member

18. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I have a Yamaha 2.1 system that I have been using for 12 years, I got it originally for my PowerMac G3 back in 1998. Still use the same speakers and subwoofer today, and they are absolutely excellent. They are loud and produce deep, rich, mellow bass in the sub. I keep the subwoofer on the floor.

They look like this:

[​IMG]