Best speakers for iPod (5.5G) under $500??

Discussion in 'iPod' started by anti-microsoft, Sep 16, 2007.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I was looking at the Bose they look good and sound good:D!

What do you recommend??

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Look at the reviews for the iPod Hi-Fi...it's even better than the $299 Bose Sounddock...unfor. it looks like it's either discontinued or hard to find...the thing sounds fantastic!

3. newrivertrain macrumors newbie

I don't know where these manufacturers get off charging so much for speakers. If you have $500 to burn, I'd go with a pair of Event studio monitors. Of course, if you want to fill a big room these aren't the way to go (they're uni-directional) and of course you don't have a nice dock (you'd probably want a mixer or receiver in-between too), but the sound is disgustingly clear. These are what the pro's use and more of the recording studios have these. You can get bi-amped tr-8's for $500 (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Event-Tuned-Reference-8-TR8-Active-Monitors?sku=603273), or the 20/20 single amp for around $400.

Maybe this isn't the set-up for everyone, and almost all ipod users wouldn't know what you're packing, but any sound engineers, musicians or audiophiles that randomly come into your house would think you'd have a sick set-up. $400 for 20/20 p's, $50 for a dock, and do what you can for a receiver or mixer (just so you don't kill yourself if your finger slips raising the volume).

Again, do what's best for you but if you heard actual studio monitors they make anything that Bose put out look like kid's toys. I'd get the Bose myself if they were priced reasonably, but at that price, they must be crazy. Not when you know what you can get for that money.

4. mosx macrumors 65816

PLEASE avoid Bose!

All things made by Bose sound absolutely horrible for the price or are built terribly.

Look at the Bose Triport. Those things cost between $150 and $180. They snap after months of normal use and don't even sound as good as most headphones priced more than $100 less.

Their speakers are the absolute worst in the industry.

http://intellexual.net/bose.html

If you want a little speaker set, but don't want to go with a full blown hi-fi system (you are willing to spend $500, right?), then just get yourself a set of really good PC speakers.

For a little over $100, you can get these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122

Just get yourself the USB charger for your iPod and the dock.

Those speakers will make the Bose Soundock sound like a $20 toy in comparison.

If you want to spend around $400 on speakers: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=us,en

10" 188 watt subwoofer. Plus you can use one of the built-in sound modes to mirror the stereo sound to all of the speakers and have a nice 500 watt system filling your room with sound ;)

And you'll have money left over to buy the universal dock and USB charger.

If you want to spend your money on a receiver and some floor standing speakers.........

5. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I'll put in a vote for the iPod Hi-Fi, even though I don't think Apple still sells it.... you might find a used one somewhere?

We have the Apple Hi-Fi, and it is wonderful. Loud, crisp sound. It really fills the room well.

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

If you don't need portability, the Klipsch iFi is great (subwoofer plus 2 satellites.) It originally listed at $400, I bought one at Costco on sale with rebate for $150. Not sure if it's still available though.

7. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

My personal favorite has always been the Altec Lansing IM7. Excellent sound for the money in a great portable package.

[​IMG]

List price is $250 but I've seen them as low as $150.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

10. apfel macrumors newbie

I recommend the Audioengine A5 speakers. I have a pair and I love them.