Best ssd for macbook air 2015 13'' (i7 2.2ghz)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by albertoo85, May 27, 2019.

1. albertoo85 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I plan to upgrade ssd to 1TB, I'm reading a few weeks, and I'm not sure what to choose.

It is Apple MacBook Air "Core i7" 2.2ghz 13" Macbookair7,2 - A1466 - 2925.

For the issue of speed I do not worry, and in almost all options 1.5 and 1.5 are achieved approx.
    I am also concerned about the issue of hinbernation, since 2015 is not affected.
    The adapter is also no doubt, a long sintech rev C

Above all I consult those who have changed, for the theme of: battery consumption and temperatures
    You can leave me your experiences and advice, thank you very much

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

I recommend using the short black Sintech adapter. The long adapter has may cause the adapter and/or drive to bend when inserting the drive screw.

3. Macdctr macrumors 6502a

Macdctr

I'm currently using a 512GB Samsung 950PRO NVMe M.2 drive in my 2015 MBA. At one time I had a 2TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 drive in my 2015 MBA and had no issues using this drive. The only reason I went back to the 512 950PRO drive is because my 5,1 MP was only compatible with the 970EVO drive. You won't see the advertised speeds of the 970EVO in the MBA though. Just be aware of this. You will see around 1500MB/Sec speeds. Plenty fast enough for this laptop if you ask me :)

4. albertoo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Sintech adapter is compatible with samsung 950 and 970 evo in our mba 2015.
    The speeds in both are around 1.5 that I know.

But what I would like to know if your mba 2015 i7 has warmed up too much compared to the apple ssd with the 950 or 970 and also if you have noticed that it consumes much more battery.

Regards

5. Macdctr macrumors 6502a

Macdctr

Yes my 2015MBA did heat up just a little but only when doing photo editing apps, also the 970EVO does use more power and therefore you have less battery life per full charge but for my use this does not bother me. I can use my laptop pretty much for the day (not continuous) and for my use it is worth the trade off having much more storage and good performance. If I need to I can easily hook up a charger and charge my laptop while still using it. No big deal. I just liked having 2TB storage in my MBA while I had it. I would still have the 2TB storage if my 5,1 MP was compatible with the 512GB 950PRO I had laying around but unfortunately it would not work and I had to use my 970EVO storage instead.

6. albertoo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi !!

That's why I think that I discard buying samsung evo, due to high temperatures and that I want to conserve the battery as with apple ssd.

I would be enough for me with 1Tb, Of all the alternatives that we have which would you recommend?

7. Macdctr macrumors 6502a

Macdctr

You might want to ask Audit13 this question. As far as I'm concerned the added heat which is actually not much during normal usage and additional power requirement of the Samsung NVMe M.2 drives are worth it for the added performance I get using them.

8. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Look at the Intel 760p or crucial p1.

9. albertoo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Well, I've seen comparisons of energy consumption, one of the best would be the Adata SX8200 pro.

At speeds I have seen that they are going to give similar results.

If I'm interested in not consuming much more battery than the original apple ssd. The Adata unit seems to be not doing so and gets low temperatures. What do you think ?

Rgds

10. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

The sx8200 Pro is a good choice too; however, some pipe in this thread have reported high temperatures with the 8200: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...sd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/page-176#post-27387892

11. albertoo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have also read people who are very good adata sx8200 pro and does not heat up, as far as battery seems you do not notice your spending.
    If I touched a unit that did not stop heating at the end would have to return it.

I wanted to make another query, here in Europe, we do not know the Sabrent brand.
    There in Usa, how does it work? This ssd nvme spends less energy than the apple ssd, so it should not heat up.
    What do you think about this option?
    Other more recognized brands can update firmware of these ssd, can sabrent?

Regards and thanks

12. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

People in this thread have had good results with Sabrent: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

13. albertoo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

I recommend getting the short, black adapter if you haven't placed an order.

None of the new Sintech adapters need tape.

15. albertoo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

H

I had asked for amazon usa, the long sintech. Because here in Spain it is not sold by amazon.

I think that at the beginning of the post you told me something of this same thing, why it could be doubled, but with the pads that version C brings, it continues to double? What could be done to avoid it?

I have the latest version of mojave with which I have the latest bootroom, so I do not have to do anything else,

Only install mojave, from usb and go. Right?

16. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

The long adapter will be fine unless the nvme drive has memory chips on both sides. If the drive has chips on both sides, the drive retention screw may not fit properly.

17. albertoo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Installed sabrent with long sintech adapter.
    It is very well mounted the only precaution is if you squeeze a lot the screw starts to bend, if you tighten it a bit it looks good.

Installation by usb of mojave, all correct. From the installation to icloud synchronization I take a little temperature, but I think nothing out of the ordinary.

I have to test if it is heated normally and if it spends more battery than normal. Most people who have sabrent report normal behavior.

Attached photos of speed and configuration of the ssd. I think it's normal.

Captura de pantalla 2019-06-13 a las 17.42.54.png
    cap2 speed.JPG

By the way which application do you recommend for the subject of temperatures?

regards!!

18. Audit13, Jun 14, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019 at 5:37 AM

Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

I have always used the small adapters in case I switch to a double-sided drive in my MacBook Air.

I don't use a program to monitor temperature because it feels cool enough to my hands and I've never had any crashes.

19. albertoo85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I notice a little hotter than before the macbook, I guess that up to a certain temperature it will be normal.

If I change the small adapter sintech, maybe I can cool some degree.
    By the way the one that is currently sold (small sintech adapter) on amazon.com you have to put kapton tape or it is ready.

The long adapter if it came with a black protective tape.

regards

20. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Switching to the small adapter may not make the MacBook feel cooler to your hands.

Amazon is probably selling the new revision of the small, black adapter which should be fine without applying kapton tape: https://www.amazon.com/Sintech-Adap...5173&s=gateway&sprefix=Sintrch,aps,160&sr=8-3

I noticed this adapter received good reviews too: https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Conver...5223&s=gateway&sprefix=Sintrch,aps,160&sr=8-5