Best Stylus?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Luba, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I bought the RocketFish (Best Buy brand) stylus. Works good enough, but I wonder who makes it for Best Buy, and if there's a "best" stylus out there.

The RocketFish was like $17 . . . I should have looked around Amazon as they have many styluses for around $10. On the high end there's Cosmonaut and Wacom Bamboo at around $30.

2. CKtoph macrumors 6502

I've tried about 3 styli, but none of them can keep up with "normal" handwriting speed...

3. GUCCIMAN macrumors regular

I have the jot pro, love it for writing and drawing. Writing speed is not comparable to paper and pen but u get accuracy and fluidity... Check em out

4. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

This is my first ever stylus, so I have nothing to compare it to but I'm using the Wacom Bamboo for iPad and loving it.

5. sekazi macrumors 6502

iFaraday is the best. I have a normal and firm artist series

6. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

All of the stylus' are made of the same material, silicon. The only difference between a $3 one on Amazon and a $20-$40 one from Best Buy would be build quality. If you plan on using it to do serious work then might as well get one that will last, but if you just want it to play Draw Something then don't pay more than $10. Boxwave is a good name and is like $8 on Amazon.

7. glen e macrumors 68030

correct...the artist model for me - not like the sponge ball others, this is cloth that does not drag....

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I don't like the Faradays....too slick, not enough friction so doesnt feel like dragging a pen across paper. I use a Jot Pro for taking notes and a Bamboo for everything else.

9. glen e macrumors 68030

any reason you have to specific quote me? - just put your opin down and be done with it. I have two jots, hate em...much too noisy and not quick to use....

10. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Guess same reason you have to quote me? Just state your case and move on mate LOL.

Actually, I just had a hunch you'd get your panties in a wad over being challenged. Turns out I was right.

11. sekazi macrumors 6502

I have a jot pro and I liked it for maybe 30 minutes. It does not allow for shallow angles so it just slides on the screen doing nothing.

What kinds of pens do you use? A pen should have almost no friction which the normal dome iFaraday has. If I want to press harder I use the firm dome but still there is little drag.

12. davereynolds macrumors member

Hopefully we'll be seeing some great new products soon that make use of Bluetooth 4.0 technology.

13. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

iFaraday all the way for me. I absolutely love mine!

14. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

I like my pens smooth like a rollerball or a fountain pen, so the iFaraday sounds like the one for me. I want to be able to take notes with it as well as navigate (touch/point) on an iPad. Would the normal dome work for handwriting? The artist series with its hard point sounds better for handwriting, but I'd probably damage the point using it to navigate on the iPad. I don't like to use my fingers as it gets the screen with fingerprints and rather use a stylus to navigate.

Interesting, but I think it's better to navigate on an iPhone by using your fingers, but it's better to use a stylus on an iPad.

----------

I went on apple.com but no mention of bluetooth on the spec page. Does the new iPad have Bluetooth 4.0?

15. sekazi macrumors 6502

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

17. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Do you use the Artist with the standard dome?

What do you think of the basic model or the RxII?

18. sekazi macrumors 6502

I do not have either of those. But from what I have read the basic uses the standard dome but it is slightly thinner and it is shorter.

The RXII appears to be using the firm dome since it is smaller but you would have to ask them for confirmation. It is also weighted.

Here is an idea of how the standard and firm tip differ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was giving both equal pressure on the screen.

If it is not obvious the left is firm and the right is standard.

The standard dome appears to be using something like memory foam.

[​IMG]

19. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Thanks for the pics!!!

20. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

I also have the RXII and it's really nice. It's nicely weighted and fits well in the hand, and the tip isn't too squishy, so I feel like it's nice to write and draw with. The RXII also comes with a cap, so you can just toss it in your bag without worrying about the fabric getting torn up, and it also has some rubber around the metal body to keep it from scratching your screen.

21. tdream macrumors 65816

They're all the same, limited by capacitive touch. All the pens are blobby if you know what I mean. You won't get fine tip accuracy with any of them.

If you want accurate handwriting buy the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Wacom digitizer, 255 levels of pressure and ballpoint pen level accuracy. Designed for handwriting and drawing properly.

22. deathbyart macrumors regular

23. noneother macrumors member

Yep... This

24. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Where is that wallpaper from? Or if you know what movie that is from, thanks :)

25. jamesschmidtke macrumors regular

believe it or not I prefer my ten buck amazon basic to my boyfriend's wacom bamboo