Best time to search for an ipad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by slimcharles, Mar 30, 2011.

1. slimcharles macrumors newbie

Yet again I leave empty handed in my search for an ipad 2. Called Target, said they had 2 left, quickly got in my car and made the 5-10 min drive. I get there only to find out someone purchased the last one minutes earlier! I have also had two failed attempts at my campus bookstore.

So my question is, what is the best time to go to best buy, the apple store, or target, in order to finally get one?

My location: SF Bay Area (San Jose)
    Desired model: Black 16GB Wifi

Any help/suggestions is appreciated, thanks!

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

You'll probably get one if you show up at an Apple store around 7-8 AM

3. Marine0621 macrumors member

The Apple Store by me says they start selling them (if they get a shipment that day) at 9am. I would take a ride there around 7-730 latest and just wait to see if they get the shipment in that day or not. For the next month or 2 the supply will be pretty low in relation to demand. For right now, waiting an hour or 2 at the Apple Store every morning til you get one may be your only and best bet.

4. Stefx73 macrumors regular

5. cwerdna macrumors 6502

6. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The mornings before work are far and away the best times.

Best Buy, Apple, and Target people ALL told me that the mornings are where they have the most stock

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't know about Apple or Best Buy, but for the Target stores in the ATL area, the ones which get stock seem to get it in the late morning around 11am to 11:30am. See the Target thread (sticky) for more info and ways to monitor store stock online.

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I'm checking out my local Apple store right now. There are about 40 people in line. Morning is definitely your best bet, most iPads will sell out by afternoon.

9. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

Three weeks and still 40-50 people in lines hoping to get one.

Insane.

10. 26.2 macrumors member

Quit wasting your time searching online. Just go stand in line and get one. Apple stores are getting 100's daily.

11. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

Not to be a d**k or anything, but while you guys are wasting time everyday trying to find one in a store I am typing this post from the comfort of my home on my iPad 2. I ordered online from Apple on the eleventh and received it the 29th. Never had to waste hours of my time standing in line every morning.

12. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

The first line of your post says it all.

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Your best bet is to check the Target inventory tracker late morning and be prepared to jump in your car and drive there. If you're able to run out during work, you may just get lucky. It's worked for me on three separate occasions. Good luck.

14. Teacher09 macrumors newbie

I ordered a 32gb black with wi-fi from Mac Connection on Tuesday and it will be in my hands tomorrow. Don't know about the 16gb availability, but it seems that 32's are pretty well stocked even though the guy quoted me a 1-2 week wait.

15. Wintel2Wapple macrumors newbie

Just ordered one from Mac Connection, Arrives Monday

Thanks for the tip! I just called and they had inventory. Shipping is free for Monday delivery. Yes!!!!

16. jameskohn macrumors 6502

I just went to my local Apple store here in CT a few minutes before they opened. At 9AM sharp they handed out tickets for the configuration you wanted, and in 20 minutes I was out of there with a white 32GB AT&T model. They had every model available, and still had them all after they took care of everybody in line, approx. 25 people.

17. mobhit101 macrumors newbie

Get to the apple store early. I hated the idea of doing this but I finally couldn't take it anymore so I broke down, went there yesterday morning before work at 8 and was out by 9:15 with the exact model I wanted. There seem to be much more shipments now in the morning (even though they're still selling out) than weeks prior.

18. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

The tysons store in northern virginia had every model, but by the time they were done giving out tickets in the line, only one model was left. One last lucky person showed up and claimed it, and by 8:20 am all the iPads for the day were spoken for. And like I said, this was at least 40 people.