best TYPE of case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by gai3devi, Oct 13, 2012.

1. gai3devi macrumors newbie

there are many diff types of cases,
    bumpers, skins, pouches, notepads

which type do u recommend:?
    pics would be cool too. :D

2. Giuly, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

3. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Depends on your daily use. I am out of the house all day and hate cables in the car so I use a Mophie Juice Pack Pro. But on my days off, I shed the extra 8 ounces and carry it naked or with an Apple Bumper on it.

4. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Translation of thread.... I'm too lazy to google "iphone 5 case" so please do it for me!

I prefer cheap ebay bumpers over full cases. Good luck.

5. Smigit macrumors regular

Personally I like bumpers with a screen protector on the front and back. I think thats fine for most and has the least impact on the devices build.

That said, I'm going caseless this time. Also, the exception to the above rule would be if I worked in construction or something, in which case I'd go a full body case.

I do like leather flip/wallet/pouches from an aesthetic perspective, but don't like that most conceal the screen.

6. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

I generally like skins best. Protects the case from nicks and bumps, but still lets Jony Ive's design shine through. I just don't get using humongous bulky cases. Seems horrible.

7. iAi, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

iAi macrumors 6502

Anything but holster, ugly & bulky otterbox design like cases, kind of made out of baseball gloves pouch or case, flimsy or cheap looking cases ...

I prefer my iP5 naked but for my style ...

for use in my loose pocket & bag:

an elegant and authentic leather wallet / book case, where you would slide the iP5 to securely put it in and out; with some slots for id and credit cards; a camera flash friendly hole and yet on a slim / not too bulky design ... hoping fortte's bulk is fine (ordered)

http://www.fortte.com/scr/showproduct.php/2371?type=0

For my tight pocket & skinny jeans:

Pcaro flip case (being shipped)

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=CHr41315DoY&desktop_uri=/watch?v=CHr41315DoY

For on the go, naked iP5 when in use:

Colcasac (have it already, loving it)

http://www.colcasac.com/iphone-sleeve/zagora-iphone-sleeve/

8. Giuly, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Well, and if you need heavy-duty protection, there's always the Otterbox Defender:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also, there's the new SGP Slim Armor, which is a rather rugged case made of two layers of TPU and a polycarbonate insert, which also fixes the main complaint of some other cases, which is that they leave the bottom and top unprotected.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. kthnxshwn macrumors regular

Either you've never used Google a single day in your life or you fail at understanding the topic.

10. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

i like extremely minimal cases so i went for the switcheasy nude...but i also have a speck smartflex wallet case that i use from time to time

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I like hard cases because they don't grip the insides of my pockets when I try to pull my phone out (unlike bumpers, TPUs, etc).

Specifically, I like crystal clear hard cases because I really take pleasure in the iPhone's natural design. A clear case allows me to see that, whilst protecting it. I also go for really thin ones too, as I do not like to add extra bulk :)

EDIT - I would certainly try out a hard bumper though (plastic/metal), but the rubbery ones just aren't my cup of tea.

EDIT EDIT - I have, however, just been carrying my iPhone 4S naked for the last couple months. It's delicious.

12. johnny5 macrumors member

Personally I will never buy a silicone/rubber case again. They stretch out over time.

My favorite case I have owned is the Incase snap case for iPhone 4. It's thin so it doesn't add bulk but is hard and protected my phone from several drops. It also has a nice grip to it without being too grippy and getting stuck in your pocket. It's also been very durable and is just now starting to wear our after 2 years of abuse.

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I prefer a minimalist wrap/skin in conjunction with AppleCare+ or SquareTrade warranty.

My wife prefers the SGP Neo Hybrid as already mentioned/pictured above.

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The one that suits your needs/wants/budget. How about some details? What are your priorities? What designs do you like and dislike?

"Best" really does mean much if you don't clarify exactly what you mean.

15. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I LOVE the look of those Neo Hybrid bumpers....might have to order one!

16. Jman13 macrumors 68000

It's so subjective. I like an understated look to my cases, both in styling and size. I typically go for simple bumper style cases, though there are some flashier looking bumper style cases that aren't understated, but are classy and sharp that I really like, such as the new Draco 5 and the Vapor Nickel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I don't know why, but metal cases and bumpers look like out of place to me on the iPhone 5.

18. nutmac macrumors 68040

Case is too subjective, but here are the type of cases I would AVOID.

• Metal case: While stylish, they tend to decrease cellular and/or WiFi reception.
    • Clear case: While they are good at showing off iPhone, they tend to discolor and/or show dirt, debris, fingerprints underneath.
    • Back-less bumper: Less protection.
    • Rubber-only case: They tend to get loose over time.
    • Plastic-only case: Plastics can damage/scratch iPhone. And they tend to be very hard to remove.
    • Partially raised bezel: Some cases expose areas around button and/or connectors (which are very susceptible to scratch), providing less protection.
    • Do not cover volume and sleep buttons: Buttons will collect dirt over time. Some cases have metal button finish to replicate Apple experience.
    • Rear camera opening without black border: Black border around camera opening reduces glare.
    • Screen protector and skin: Some people really love screen protector. Skins also attach to other parts of the phone to provide scratch resistance. The problem is, they tend to reduce image quality and provide minimal protection against drop.
    • Wallets: If you need to take the phone out of the case to use it, you probably won't use it all the time.

TPU or hybrid (soft interior, hard exterior) provide the best protection.

19. kyellowness macrumors regular

Draco has the best looking aluminum bumpers hands down. but they are so pricey! I like spigen neo hybrid ex bumpers for daily use. prices are decent and doesnt add much bulk to the phone. looks good too. :D

20. Giuly, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you're real leather, the nicest one is the KAVAJ Dallas. It has card slots on the back, and the flap is magnetic.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Because of the wide variety of cases, its really subjective which is best for you. If you really don't like a particular style of case, it doesn't matter if it protects it better.

22. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It's surely a matter of taste, but anyone who read this thread should have a pretty good idea what is available and ready to be picked up. :)

23. meistervu macrumors 65816

It's a matter of compromise for me

1. No case - I love the naked iPhone 5 design. Perhaps it will be more comfortable with a leather case like what I had for my iPhone 4: http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/ap...phone-5-case-genuine-leather-grip-series.html. However I am just a drop on the concrete away from that perfect look. But then again I could always put a case on afterward.

2. A case like Lifeproof - My phone is well protected, but I wonder if it's like wrapping your couch in plastic. Yes, if I have a leaky roof, no otherwise. If I were a whitewater raft guide then definitely.

3. Then there are things in between like screen protector and back protector, bumper, thin shell that cover the back with or without lips for face down protection. All of these things offer some level of protection. Most detract from the look of the naked iPhone. Some may add a level of comfort (soft grip, thickness if you find the phone to thin to hold comfortably).

4. Then there are cases like Twig cases which in my opinion looks really good, add comfort to the phone, provide pretty good protection, all at the cost of additional bulk which may not be a bad thing considering the iPhone 5 is quite thin.

The more I think about it, #4 may give me the best bang for the buck(not just the cost, but the pro and cons of having a case). If I were to use a case, I may incline to get something that adds some character to the phone as well as giving it some protection and making more comfortable. So a leather shell or a Twig case is more likely my thing.

24. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

I totally think a Twig case is right for you. I'm holding the next-to-final proto in my hands right now. THIN. HAWT. I may have shed a tear at its beauty.:D

I can't wait to post pictures.

Soooooon. But not yet.:cool:

25. skippymac macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I like the smallest profile, most minimalist cases for just scratch protection on the back and a bit on the sides.

If I wanted more protection I'd go for a similar thing but with a lip around the front screen.

I'd never go for anything bulky and don't see the point of bumpers as I use cases to protect (mainly the back) from scratches.

Pouches are nice too (I have one that I use occasionally) as they give you the beauty of the naked iphone, but theyre slightly more inconvenient.

Finally I like leather wallet cases but would never buy one as the only ones of the quality and slim profile I'd actually enjoy are wayy too expensive.

I like the look of these fancy wood and/or metal cases but think the price/practicality is ridiculous for a phone case :)