Best value high performance SATA 3 SSD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macmesser, Apr 12, 2016.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I need an SSD to partition in to a couple of boot volumes and I'm looking at OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 480 or Samsung 850 Pro 512. The Samsung was named best ssd of 2015 by a reviewer and is the first consumer drive to feature vertical 3D nand (whatever that means). It's said to reduce footprint and make for cooler, more reliable operation. There's a 10 year limited guarantee. The OWC drive has some cool sounding specs too, at a 10% higher price. Their web site goes in to more detail:

The Mercury SSD line features:
    • DuraWrite™ extends the endurance of your Solid State Drive (SSD).
    • Intelligent Block Management & Wear Leveling automatically distributes data evenly across the entire SSD.
    • Intelligent Read Disturb Management spreads the active read/write across the flash components eliminating data corruption caused by constant use.
    • Intelligent "Recycling" for advanced free space management gradually re-writes data across the SSD over time to ensure data never gets corrupted.
    • RAISE™ (Redundant Array of Independent Silicon Elements) protects the data on your drive similar to having a RAID setup.
    • Best-in-Class ECC Protection for longest data retention and drive life.
    The drive is actually a 512GB drive with around 7% reserved for data management with the above technologies. I have used a 240GB version of this drive for several years as boot drive for a CMP 5,1 without problems and have upgraded firmware, which OWC makes an easy process. It has been reliable and is fast to boot and run.

I would like to hear from anyone with experience with the Samsung drives. Also, are the features of the OWC Extreme drive NOT commonly found in one form or another on other drives, or are these more proprietary names rather than technologies?

2. scott.n macrumors 6502

The OWC features are just marketing speak. Don't waste your time. Buy the Samsung.

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

850 Evo has the better value vs performance ratio for general use.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Exactly. The OWC drive also uses a Sandforce controller, and those have poor performance on incompressible data. Don't fall for OWC's marketing BS. Get the Samsung.

5. DPUser macrumors 6502a

6. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

My Samsung 850 Pro 2 TB works perfect. It is connected to a FASTA-6GU3pro http://www.caldigit.com/Fasta-6GU3pro/ (each of the 4 SATA-Ports are bootable).

Don't forget to enable TRIM: http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/29/use-trimforce-trim-ssd-mac-os-x/

7. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

Ive used both the OWC line and Samsung EVO's. My choice is the Samsung drives. They are faster and just as reliable as the OWC drives. Ive never had an issue with any of the 830, 840, 850 EVO lines.

8. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll be using 10.8.5 for the SSD boot drive and will enable trim. Isn't trim automatically enabled in El Capitan for all ssds. (OWC says it's not necessary for their drives.)

9. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

OWC is crap. Get the Samsung.

No, it's enabled by default for the factory drives that come with the Mac, not third-party drives you install yourself. But, El Capitan ... for the first time ... lets you enable TRIM for third-party drives. I used to use TRIM Enabler for this particular use case.

Did I also mention OWC is crap?

10. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I have a newertech 6G card that supports port multiplier and raid. Haven't tried it with a ssd yet but wasn't as fast as I'd hoped with an sshd. I heard the eSATA cards were basically not designed originally for Mac and required drivers, resulting in a speed hit.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2016 ---
    Thanks. Just looked for a way to do it on my Mac mini (one internal fusion drive) and didn't see anything. Can trim be enabled on an external ssd?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2016 ---
    Thanks. Samsung is the unanimous consensus.

11. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Depends, via eSATA, Yes. Via USB, No.

They are correct, but purely BS. None of the SSD "require" TRIM, therefore, it's not necessary for ALL SSD (not just OWC SSD). However, TRIM will make SSD run better INCLUDING OWC's SSD. Because GC will work better with TRIM regardless if that's OWC's SSD or not. It's one of the example that how OWC do their marketing, try to mislead their customers but not really providing the best hardware.

12. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

i don't think I've ever associated "best value" with OWC.

13. elleana macrumors regular

14. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

Yes, the old FASTA-6GU3 pro is no more available, and the new FASTA-6GU3 plus is not yet released.

15. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Agreed, I have the 840 EVO's and have had ZERO issues for the last two years! BTW I run them on an Apricorn Velocity DUO x2. Perfect marriage! ;)

Not quite so, from OS X 10.10.4 (Yosemite) the use of the OS native trim force command (terminal) is also available! Works great...

Cheers

16. zoomfinder macrumors member

zoomfinder

I have FASTA-6GU3 Pro installed in my MacPro3,1 as well but what I like about it is that these eSATA ports are about the only ones which let external drives to boot. I have an OWC 6G Pro SSD as my external disk but this thing boots really fast at 5G on FASTA-6GU3 Pro in slot 2.

I hear this bootability from an external disk will not be available in the next FASTA-6GU3 Plus and I'm really disappointed.

BTW nobody seems to mention SanDisk SSDs but are they any good?

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Some of their older models (I think is was the Extreme) used a Sandforce controller that I am not a fan of, but there is nothing at all wrong with their newer models that use Marvell controllers and others.

18. Synchro3 macrumors 65816

Synchro3

19. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've been using Crucial SSDs almost exclusively for the last few years and have never had any problems with them.

20. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Same. The EVO line has been a joy to use.

21. KenniJH macrumors newbie

Samsung
    Have great experience with 830 Pro and 840 Evo.
    4 all together, 830 in a Mac mini and a Lenovo laptop (w. Windows 7).

840 in another Lenovo laptop (w. Windows 8.1) and ind a home build server (w. Hyper-V srv).
    All SSDs are still running and are running 24/7 for the Mac mini and Hyper-V srv and for the Laptops are running approx. 8 to 10 hours Daily all weekdays

22. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

SAMSUNG SSD rulezzzzzz (imho)

23. zoomfinder macrumors member

zoomfinder

My Crucial MX200 1TB died after one month in use. I had it partitioned in two volumes and all of a sudden I couldn't get none of them to mount. The lamp on the case was blinking fast hopelessly and no data has been recovered to this date.

24. m4v3r1ck, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

25. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

What lamp?

Yeah, contact support and get a replacement if it's really dead.