Best Verizon Phone? (Choices Given)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xander562, May 29, 2007.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Hey, so I'm about to upgrade my phone (my old one's dying) and am wondering which of these is the best. The things I want the most are:

• Small
    • OS X compatibility :)
    • Good Camera
    • Not Ugly
    • cheap (preferably <$100

My choices can be found here: Linky

I'm really lost when it comes to phones, I've heard some RAZRs are crippled etc? :confused: I really don't know so with these criteria, which would you choose/ which are best for me?

I'm also open to phones not on this list but they HAVE to work with Verizon.

In advance: Please no "iPhone" requests, ok?

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Just FYI, I've heard the Verizon cripples a lot of their phones (like BT and whatnot) unless you pay for those extra features. I've never had first-hand experience with that (haven't been a Verizon customer in a very long while), but this is what I've been told...

3. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

Yeah, that's what I've heard as well, unfortunately my parents force me to stick with them. I think we have one of those family plans or something. And I really have no experience with phones so I'm lost in this subject.

This is why I'm asking you, which would be the best one do you think? (Remember I'm also willing to go outside of Verizon's choices and buy unlocked, as long as its under $100 or so.)

4. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I've got the V3C razr. I've had it since slightly after they released it for verizon. I flashed my phone using verizon's $.02 firmware. This technically voids the warranty but it restores the bluetooth functionality that they removed. Alternatively you can flash Alltel's firmware on to the phone but I found that to be kind of buggy.

I'm assuming Verizon cripples the rest of their phones in the same way they cripple the razr. If that's the case you won't be able to send or recieve files using bluetooth without a firmware flash but you will be able to sync it with address book without messing with it.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

how did you do that? I've looked around online and been unable to figure how to do it with a mac and verizon.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

you can't.... go to howardforums.com its not well moderated unlike MR (thanks arn and the rest of the team ;) ) but their is some good information if you dig around the 100+ page threads :rolleyes:

7. Schnebar macrumors 6502

I have the VX8700 and its great.

I can use the bluetooth on my iMac to view my pictures or place pictures on the phone.

8. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

Hows about the KRAZR? Anybody have any thoughts on the KRAZR?

9. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

A friend of mine has one. It's not as bad as I first thought it was (looks-wise, I mean), but I still prefer the Razr, personally.

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Good call xfiftyfour ;) . A RAZR is probably as good of a phone as you'll get with the criteria you're looking for.

11. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Verizon sucks. The only reason I have a Verizon phone is because work pays for it. I have a Razr v3c. I can sync my address book with bluetooth but cannot get pictures off the phone via bluetooth.

The Razr does take microSD cards. I got a 1 gig card for $30.

Verizon changes the UI to their own horrid interface.

My wife has a Nokia phone with TMobile service. We bought the phone directly from Nokia for free with 2 year contract. The same phone would have been $100 or so with contract on TMobiles own site.

12. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Verizon has good service but I switched to cingular a while back because Verizon had awful customer service (first my screen randomly broke...just stopped working, and although it was in warrantee they made me buy a refurb. Then my battery stopped holding a charge and they made me pay $50 for a new one. The people were unsympathetic and ill informed.)

Anyway, since you're stuck with them, I would recomend either the RAZR or the KRZR. I have friends with both and they are really similar. Either way you are stuck with the awful UI. If you had a bit more money I would recomend the enV. Yes the name is awful, and it is a bit of a brick, but the keypad is nice, and although the screen is a bit small, the battery on my friend's lasts for almost a week and a half and gets service EVERYWHERE.

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I use BitPim to transfer photos/ringtones to and from my LG8300 ($50 after rebates) using bluetooth. I tried to get my stepmothers Moto razr V3m to work w/BiPim using BT but no luck.

There is no iSync compatibility with LG's at the moment afaik. correct me if I am wrong.

14. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I have the KRZR and love it. Everything is right where I need it to be, where I think it will be, when I want it to be there, yada yada yada. It also looks very sleek and is...so...shiny. Basically, it's the best cell phone I've ever had, bar none.

As for Verizon crippling BlueTooth -- IMHO, it's ********. I can't transfer a song to my phone without buying a thirty dollar music pack? What the hell is that? :mad:

15. crazydrumma macrumors regular

Everyone does NOT love chocolate.

I would say go with the Samsung SCH-u540, some of my friends own it and it is a great phone. It has a camera, blue tooth, speakerphone, it's slim, not ugly, but I'm not sure about other specs. It's also 69.99 with the two year agreement. I have a Chocolate, and trust me, it's not a good phone. I am on my third one already, and my friend Ben at school is on his 6th. That's horrible considering they were released in August 06. So yeah. Samsung SCH-u540 is the best phone under 100 bucks, IMO.

16. jdechko macrumors 68040

I bought a SLVR L7c from Verizon a little over a month ago, and I have to say that it isn't too bad (aside from the camera).

The MicroSD card isn't very accessible (behind the battery, WTF?) but once it's in there, it's fine. It's pretty light and fits well in my pocket, and has the ring+vibe which is nice. It's also pretty cheap ($70 after rebates w/ plan). As far as bluetooth, while not completely unlocked, it's far better than Verizon's previous offerings (OBEX for pics, contacts -- haven't tried mp3's yet).

BT Sync with a Mac is good, though I've only sent a picture via BT. I was in Fry's and took a picture of my son and I with the iSight. Paired the phone and the Macbook in minutes and sent the file. I'd assume that contact and calendar syncing work as well -- not sure about music/movies.

Like I said, though, the only problem is the camera. It's still VGA (A 1.3 MP camera would have been an easy inclusion); the picture quality is ok.

17. thenick512 macrumors newbie

I just bought the Q and its one of the best phone i have ever owned. I am in love with it. I'm finding out later today how compatible it is with my computer. keep your fingers crossed.

18. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I've been looking at verizon phones recently, and from my experience, I didn't like the KRZR, it felt too cheap. I also tried the MOTO SLVR, but ended up taking it back after using it for two days. I liked the form factor, but I got horrible service and could never hear anyone. I currently have the RAZR V3m, and think that it's probably the best of the phones in that price range. However, I think if I were going to get a new verizon non-smartphone phone, I'd probably get the LG VX8700. I played around with one in the store, and it's one of the most solid-feeling phones that I can remember using. It's not as light as other phones, but you're talking about a difference of a few ounces, nothing major. It just feels really well-built and sturdy, unlike a lot of the other verizon phones.

19. buffalo macrumors 65816

I bought the white KRZR several months back and I like it just fine. Of course, I'd rather buy myself an iPhone, but that just wasn't a feasible option. All I do is call and txt, but it does both of those just fine. I'm not sure about Mac compatibility though, never tried. It is a nice size and has a nice feel to it.

20. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

Yes I have the krzr and a macbookpro and it works wonderfully. There are a few things that you need a PC for (song transfering and seem editing etc..) but other then that its a slick phone..and the camera is outstanding and chicks dig it!! ;)

21. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The VX 8300 is an amazing phone for the price. Go for it.

22. deh2k macrumors newbie

Can you explain how you did that? I have a VX8700 and, though I can pair it with my MBP, I am unable to do anything useful via bluetooth. iSync says it's not a compatible device.

23. dxm113 macrumors member

Check out Hofo

I would recommend that you check out Howard Forums - lots of great info if you are willing to dig.

What do you mean by OSX compatibility? You can do a lot with Bitpim if you are willing to tweak things in certain circumstances. For iSync support out of the box, Moto phones will be your best bet. Motor phones can also typically be hacked. . . . BT is somewhat crippled on verizon phones - they want you to transfer files via their network ($). BT FTP (what most refer to as OBEX) is usually crippled on verizon phones - but can be hacked in some cases. You will have to do your homework on this. . .

BTW, I am in a similar situation - and I am going to wait until the new Moto v9m (Razr 2) is released in July. Price point is unknown at this time.

Most of the other phones don't really impress me. At least we have 6 months to use the New Every Two discount. . . .

24. rdp5008 macrumors regular

rdp5008

I initially got the LG Chocolate and the screen went blank within 2 weeks. I replaced it with the LG VX8600 and love it. It works with Bitpim and it syncs with bluetooth to my 12PB. Verizon does kill some BT functions though.

My friend has an LG Chocolate and is on his third in less than 6 months. They seem to have quality issues!

(ps: your link didn't work for me)

25. Stadsport macrumors regular

I just got a Samsung SCH-u740 and I love it. The keypad takes some getting used to (especially if you have big hands) but the form factor and features are just too good.