Best VOIP app?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iWizzard, Apr 6, 2008.

1. iWizzard macrumors regular

Witch is the best VOIP app for the Iphone? Does the apps use the iphone´s contact book? or does it use it own?

It would be nice to be able to replace the phone part with an VOIP app completely.

2. alim7007 macrumors newbie

is ther any?

lol is ther even any VOIP apps available?

3. Cafka macrumors newbie

I know there's an iSkype app out, but i haven't tried it yet.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

5. igglepuff macrumors regular

yea, ive only heard of sip voip also, byt touchmods. it work's pretty good though. I use it every day or so to call my boss and some other stuff (using voipcheap.com as the provider). only thing is, you need a headset to use on the iphone or the mic for a touch

6. Djmx macrumors 6502

can you please tell me exactly what you use for the VOIP on the iphone please??? i dont get your post it doesnt say much..thanks.

7. stereophonics macrumors newbie

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I wouldn't use VOIP apps just yet. Remember right now you can use over EDGE, no problem, but AT&T has been in the communications business for quite a while and I think they can tell when you are oversuing your EDGE data plan over some 3rd party app. VOIP is is good but it can seem as though you are tethering (because of the continuous packet transfers) which is against the AT&T contract and hence land you without EDGE data plan.

I would not say "don't use", Instead I recommend use it WISELY... Wait until June when all apps from the SDK are going to be released. AT&T is most likely not going to be able to track all apps that use EDGE, its gonna be hell for them...

:rolleyes:Current data usage per iPhone costumer is 120MB, with SDK apps out it is estuimated 300MB...poor, poor AT&T....their cell towers are gonna be hammered, pounded and piggybacked by iPhone users all night long.....

9. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Over Wi-Fi yes its safe since you are using your home Wi-Fi, work, etc, its Wi-Fi, if you connect you can do anything (legal that is) in it

11. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

Well I believe thats how voip was originally intended to be used over IP. But how about an unlocked phone on tmo's EDGE? Is it even possible? Fring does look promising though.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

As I said, VOIP over a cell tower network attracts the attention of the carrier as there is heavy traffic to your device. So, unless you have a tether plan there is no problem, but if you have something like the Blackberry data plan (T-Mobile) or the iPhone data (AT&T), then its just not worth the risk of being cut and having your data plan shut down. But that's just IMO

13. MacChinoNyc macrumors 6502

I see what you mean. You have a point. I guess I'll wait and see what other tmo iphone guys are doing. I definitely want to try fring though.

14. fooz911 macrumors newbie

fooz911

Do you think fring is working with T-moblie ??

:confused:

15. John-voip macrumors newbie

VoipSipSdk

I am now looking for voip solutions. And found information about Voip sdk.
    According to their website (http://www.voipsipsdk.com/)
    Voip sdk is based on IETF standards (SIP, STUN, etc.), so it should be compatible with other standard based products such as Asterisk, OpenSER other.

They have all features I need:
    # Dynamically loadable codecs
    # Registrar support
    # Play wav files into conversation
    # Record conversation into file
    # Hold/Retrieve call
    # Forward Call (Blind Call Transfer)
    # Transfer Call (Attended Transfer)
    # Mute Sound
    # VPN support
    # Noise reduction
    # Auto gain
    # Jitter buffer parameters
    # Samples on Delphi, C#, VB, VB.NET, C++ 2005, C++ 6.0, HTML (SIP ActiveX)
    # Windowless samples on C++ and .NET
    # DTMF
    # Adaptive silence detection
    # Adaptive jitter buffer
    # STUN support
    # Comes as ActiveX control

But before I will download the evaluation version I would like to hear other people experience.

16. sjdigital macrumors regular

I find that Fring works very well for VoIP. I simply input my regular SIP provider details and it also uses the iPhone's contact book, albeit not very elegantly. And if you jailbreak and use Tricker ThreeG then you can also use it over 3G. Not sure about Edge, though - there mightn't be enough bandwidth to enable VoIP to work.

17. bobmarty macrumors newbie

sipVoipSdk

I had the similiar problem and finally I found solution:
    www.sipVoipSdk.com

18. JohnDoe98, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Groundwire. It is an amazing app from Acrobits. I wouldn't worry about the person claiming it is dangerous to use on 3G. That is rubbish. The only problem of trying to use it on 3G is you need a very good data connection for it to sound normal. On Wifi and on good 3G it will sound like a regular phone. On a bad 3G connection, you will encounter problems. If your upload connection is too slow, people will always hear your voice chopped up, and similarly with you hearing them if your download is slow. On ATT I usually have no problem hearing people, but they struggling with me since the upload is poor. Typically you need something like 0.65mbps for a good decent VOIP call both ways. That's easy to get in terms of down speed, much harder, obviously, in up.

19. JohnDoe98, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

"Calling attention". LOL. Let them "attend" to my connection all they want. VOIP is legal and is allowed by my contract. If they can't differentiate VOIP from Tethering, then that is good reason to demonstrate they can't do anything about people who are illegally tethering since those people could just as well claim it is VOIP if asked. The fact is for a carrier to do anything they must have proof that you are in breach of contract. Otherwise, they can snoop and inspect all they want. So stop scaring people with nonsense. VOIP is perfectly fine.

Also, the keep alive packets that are being sent to maintain your connection are very small. During a call data usage might be high, but during the iddle period where you are waiting for calls, the activity is minute. Plus that all depends on your VOIP provider. Some, most will require UDP packets, which need to be refreshed more frequently than TCP, but regardless it is pretty insignificant. You probably wouldn't get even to 1 mb in a month on just keep alives alone.

20. Dreamup macrumors newbie

21. lapocompris macrumors regular

Whistle
    It allows you to have an incoming phone number.

22. coynedanielle macrumors newbie

I have been using Fring with my VOX voip. It’s a hasslefree communication medium with Vox voip. The application works great with Vox services.

23. eshroom, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

eshroom macrumors 6502

Shouldn't a mod delete this blatant spam??

24. coynedanielle macrumors newbie

Hey, today I downloaded NImbuzz on my phone and it is too good. I love its interface.