Best waty to create Recovery HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LarryJoe33, Aug 9, 2017.

1. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

I restored an image using CCC and I stupidly said no at the end when it asked me if I wanted to create a recovery partition. No I have no CMD+r options. What is the easiest way to do this?

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

3. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Ugh, thank you for this. I lost patience and erased the drive and am restoring the image again hoping CCC will ask me again when it's done. I searched and found a lot of more complicated ways than the link you sent me. Wish I had waited.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 9, 2017 ---
    Playing around with the instruction while I wait. There isn't a High Sierra install on the App store. I kind of want the High Sierra Recovery HD so Disk Util will have APFS.
    I am such an impatient a$$ sometimes. Could have done this too:

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/cloning-apples-recovery-hd-partition

4. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Just keeping this updated in case some poor soul like me runs into the same issues. I restored from the CCC backup and it didn’t copy the recovery partition. That’s because I created the clone from an APFS drive and it didn’t copy the recovery partition. I tried to have CCC create one and couldn’t. I was not able to use the instructions in the link above because I only had access to Sierra install through the App Store. I am now restoring my final Sierra clone before I went to High Sierra. I am hoping that I can then use TM to restore all my settings etc.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is your TM backup from Sierra still? If so, you can restore everything directly from that. Just option key boot to the TM drive, then erase the Internal to HFS+ then restore. That will put the OS, recovery HD, and all your data back.

6. LarryJoe33, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

I think I know what you are suggesting. Unfortunately I just started using TM last week and I started it from my High Sierra Install. That said, could I restore from TM if I boot to the last CCC clone which was yesterday and then restore and will it create a recovery?
    I didn’t even think of that.
    Just to be clear. This is what I have:

A time machine backup of High Sierra from yesterday before I installed PB4

A CCC image of the same

A CCC image of Sierra from June 30 before I took the plunge

What are your thought on the best path to take. New to Time Machine and only a year into MacOS experience. Used to be a windows guy that just restored an image when in trouble.
    Can I restore a TM backup of High Sierra while using recovery mode of Sierra? That’s the only recovery mode I have available to me.
    Sorry for all the posts. As of right now. I restored the Sierra image from June 30. My thought was to begin the path to getting to PB4 and THEN use time machine to restore?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No that won't work, since the TM drive has all High Sierra stuff on it... like the recovery HD version will be from High Sierra.

If I were you, I would boot to the June 30 CCC image then use CCC to clone that back to the internal. Then attach the TM disk and manually pull over data missing from June 30 until now. Hopefully this is just documents, because other things like Mail etc will likely be in a different format under High Sierra.

8. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

So I did most of what you suggested. After I restored the June 30 Sierra image I then upgraded it to High Sierra PB4. Then I went into recovery and restored TM from yesterday and it’s wiping out my drive and restoring. I don’t get it. I will though. Did I need a High Sierra recovery HD to be able to do this with TM or could I have done this with A Sierra recovery HD?

More here:
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-could-i-have-gone-about-this-better.2060885/

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is what a restore is supposed to do. It puts the system back like it was when you did the last TM backup... OS included.

You don't need either one. The TM disk has a version of the recovery utility on that disk. So you option key boot to the recovery drive, then format the internal and restore and that would put everything back like it was.

10. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Thanks. The problem was that the TM drive wasn’t showing on an options boot. Subsequently after restoring from my time machine backup wouldn’t boot. Makes sense since it wasn’t a boot option I guess. I’ll try a brand new TM backup today. Maybe I did something wrong or maybe it’s a HS/APFS bug?

11. LarryJoe33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

All good now. Lots of boot options after creating new backups. My TM backup never appeared as an option boot. [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Aug 11, 2017 ---
    Is recovery 10-12 the HS recovery partition?