Best way to avoid scratches iPhone 5 (Black)?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ShowOut, Jul 11, 2013.

1. ShowOut macrumors newbie

I recently got an iPhone 5 and was wondering,What is the best way to keep your iphone in good condition(accessories)? I want to avoid as many scratches as i can without having a super bulky case. I especially want to make sure the chamfered edges are not overly scratched.

2. weimon macrumors newbie

I would suggest Zagg skins if you don't want a case at all, paired with a silicone case could add a little bit more protection. I think a screen protector and simple silicone case should suffice though.

3. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Mine sits in a thin Belkin case, which doesn't get in the way.
    Also, avoid putting it in a pocket or bag with keys, loose coins etc.

4. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

I used a skin over just the Aluminum part of the back (a mat clear one). I then added a bumper. I used an Element Sector 5, an expensive option but there are some minimal plastic bumpers out there. That still express the iPhone itself. The only thing note protected is the Gorilla glass front and back that is very durable in all but a catastrophic drop which is where Applecare+ comes into play.

A Power Support bumper really expresses the phones design http://www.gadgetmac.com/reviews/power-support-flat-bumper-for-iphone-5-review.html

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Might I suggest PowerSupport products. I have had nothing but good experience with them.

6. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

1) Place iPhone in glass display case, preferably on a raised velveted platform.
    2) Do not handle the iPhone without white micro fibre gloves.

Apple dun goofed on the iPhone 5 design. Get used to it, because your edges WILL wear down and appear "scratched". If you don't like it, buy the white version (blah!) or get a 4S instead.

-SC

7. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Bollocks. It's entirely possible to have a scratch-free black iPhone 5 without going to such extremes. My iPhone 5 is several months old and thanks to a simple case doesn't have a mark on it. Keeping it scratch-free without any casing though is another matter altogether.

8. meg29 macrumors newbie

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The best way to protect the chamfered edges are with a skin that covers them.

I use the digiskin full chamfer metallic series skin, and it works well on the edges (although it leaves a fraction of a millimeter of the back unprotected on the edges.)

Sometimes, I use a case too for extra protection.

Cases alone may not protect against scratches since dust and debris rubbing between the case and the phone may cause damage. Even silicone cases can cause damage. I used a incipio dual pro on my old iphone, and it left some marks on even the screen (although they were microscopic and could only be seen at an angle in the light).

10. ShowOut thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you happen to have pictures of your skin on your phone? is the skin the same color as the original sides of the phone?

11. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Urban Armor Gear IPH5-WHT/BLK-VP Composite Case with Impact Resistant Bumpers and Screen Kit for iPhone 5 - White/Black
    http://amzn.com/B0099I81MI

+

Tech Armor iPhone 5 Premium High Definition (HD) Clear Screen Protector [3-Pack] - Retail Packaging
    http://amzn.com/B008THTTUI

= protected iPhone 5:

This is what i had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

12. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I'll try to find some pics.

The skin is not precisely the same color. It is a metallic black, with a brushed metal texture. Looks-wise, I give it a 100/100 for the brushed metal look. The original phone color is that slate black, which has hints of blue.

IMO, it matches the black iPhone very nicely.

I would rate the product as a 99/100, deducting a point for leaving a bit of a gap on the back panel at the edges. But we are only talking fractions of a millimeter here.

It's pricey, but you should get 2 sets in your package. They are extremely durable. I've had the edges lift on me more than once (caused by a case lifting the edges upon removal) and I was able to press and massage it back into shape. I was really surprised. In other words, the adhesive is reuseable at least once.

It won't feel like metal however, if that bothers you. It does feel like textured vinyl (that's what it is). But it feels fine for me.

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

With a black iPhone 5, keeping it in the box is the best way to avoid scratches.

Ugh they scratch ridiculously easy, sadly. You're almost bound to get scuffs on it regardless of how much you baby it. I tried to plead my situation to a genius at the Apple store and he simply said it was normal and that his iPhone is scuffed too. :rolleyes:

14. meg29 macrumors newbie

I like the way you think... As you said sadly iphones scratched ridiculously easy! I usaually use a case the first 5-6 months (after that period apple gives a new iphone release like 5s on sempetember)... then i feel bored with my cell phone and i use it without the case...

15. rrcompton macrumors member

You aren't lying!

One of the few reasons I returned it within 3 days was because there were tiny scratches all along the edges and it showed the raw silver aluminum underneath.

Back to my 4s.....

16. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yup I've given up on cases since even in a case it was getting scratched.

You oughta see my 5 that I've had since launch day...looks absolutely terrible and beaten to hell. Yet, I've never dropped it.

17. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

I use a full body skin under my cases. It may be overkill, but i have no scratches, and i can use the phone naked if i want.

18. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

They still dont protect from scratches, the gaps the PS Air Jacket (i have 2) leave between the phone and case can let allsorts of dust,dirt,sand etc etc in as i have found out.

Stopped using them now because of this.

19. meg29 macrumors newbie

Probably the scratches is the reason that make the other cell phone manufacturers like lg, HTC, Samsung etc to avoid aluminium....

20. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Have you see what the HTC One is made of?

21. webslinger85 macrumors 6502a

webslinger85

It's not the aluminum itself, it's the coating on the black iPhone 5

22. AndrewTieu macrumors member

AndrewTieu

If you want a different look. I would go with Lucky Skins. They have a lot of colors to choose from, you can also customize the colors that you want. Get a full body Lucky Skins and a screen protector. Then your phone would be protected. If you want a case. I would go for Spigen Hybrid EX. It's a bumper case. It also comes with a back and front screen protector.

23. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

If you use it caseless, there's not a whole lot you can do other than carefully setting it on soft surfaces only. I've been pretty good about it and I recently bought my (2nd) iPhone 5 which is black...had it for about 2-3 weeks now and so far it's flawless and I use it caseless 50% of the time. I did get a scratch in the back glass piece though, no idea how.

24. meg29 macrumors newbie

all the aluminium goods that i have used in the past have the same problem as iphone 5 ... scratches... In my opinion there isn't the problem the coating. I had an ipad 1 and i also had the same problem. The problem is first the material and the second (for iphone 5) is the color of coating that make scratches more apparent...