Best Way to Backup Windows Install? +

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Huntn, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What is the best way to back up your Windows install on your Mac? I have True Image v11, but for some reason it does not see my C drive*. I recently tried Winclone a Mac program and while free, after backing up my Windows install, Windows would no longer boot until after I repaired the OS using the Windows Install DVD. Any suggestions for a better way to backup Windows?

Finally I have both Windows 32bit and 64 bit Vista install disks. I'm going to resist 7 for now, but is there any good reason to upgrade Windows 32bit to 64bit and would it break anything on a current 32bit install? I do a lot of gaming. Thanks!

*Update: TI sees the C drive as a Windows Dynamic drive which is unsupported. Anyway around this?

2. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I opened a support ticket with Acronis for True Image support for Bootcamp partitions. They didn't want to hear about it. Of course, this was when Bootcamp was still fairly new. Until I ditched Bootcamp for a simple VM image, I used Winclone. Never saw a problem like you describe... was this after restoring a clone, or on your original Windows partition after just making a clone?

The only thing going 64-bit in Windows will break is drivers... they will all have to be 64-bit. Apps shouldn't matter.

3. camgrant84 macrumors member

I've always used Acronis True Image and never had a problem. In terms of 64bit, my printer is the only thing i've ever had issues with - It prints fine, but any scanning and faxing capability is not available. Lastly, Windows 7 is head and shoulders above Vista. For me the upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 would be more important than the upgrade from XP to Windows 7. Don't get me wrong, I tolerated Vista from the very beginning, but the improvements Windows 7 makes to sluggish performance and nightlong shutdowns are not so noticable over XP

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I have True Image installed and it does not see my C drive. I have no idea why. I did send them an email.
    Regarding Winclone, I just backed up my Windows partition (in MacOS using Winclone) and the next time I booted into windows, it would not start until I repaired the OS.

Any substantial difference in game performance with 64bit? I'm guessing no.
    Thanks!

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

You've always used Acronis True Image to backup your Windows partition? And you don't get a message about "Windows dynamic drive"? Sorry, I just want to clarify.

As I'm happy with Vista, I'll hold off on 7 until some time has passed so I can hear the reports. Thanks!

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Now its coming back to me... I ran True Image from my C drive and made a backup to a network drive. It was when I tried to make an Acronis boot up disk so that I would be able to restore my backup that I found Apple's Bootcamp setup wasn't supported. I do have True Image v 8 which is pretty ancient, but I asked if any of their newer versions would work any better on a Mac and they said no. I can't remember if 11 was out yet at the time.

I don't have any input on game speeds under 64-bit. The only 64-bit version of Windows I've used is Windows 7 under a virtual machine, not directly from Bootcamp.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Even though I have Windows installed on it's Windows partition on my Mac, apparently True Image thinks the C drive is an unsupported "Windows dynamic disk"- any ideas? Thanks!

8. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I forgot to mention this before, but based on a discussion at the Apple Store my impression is that Time Machine does not back up your Windows Install? Could anyone confirm? Thanks.

9. PreetinderBajwa macrumors regular

2 Scenarios

Here are the two scenarios that I have seen :

1. Time machine backs up the VM - Parallels or Fusion doesn't matter.
    2. When I created bootcamp (about a month back), originally Time Machine didn't back up bootcamp, then suddenly one day it started backing up my bootcamp partition (about 10 days back), my bootcamp partition's always had Win 7 Pro 64 Bit.

In second scenario, the only thing that could have triggered the change was that I installed Paragon NTFS for Mac and Paragon's Macbrowser on the Win side. Maybe thats's the reason why bootcamp partition is backed up now , as OSX can now read and write NTFS !

I hope it helps. What do all of you think ?

Cheers

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

So, after you installed the Paragon NTFS for Mac, you could use Time Machine to back up your Windows partition? The real question becomes, will a restore work? :) I only have fleeting experience with Time Machine, but I noticed when I went to install Snow Leopard at that point, it offered to restore a Time Machine backup. I'm trying to imagine how this works if you ever have to reinstall Windows. Does Time Machine have the ability to restore a partition from the TM application itself?

I recently purchased a external hd which my intent was to use as Time Machine for my MacOSX. Without formatting it (I assumed it was NTFS), it told me that Time Machine could not use my hard drive because it's file format was not supported. I ended up reformatting it for the MacOS.

11. Huntn, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Here I am a year later, got a new MBP (sig) have installed W7 on it. I'm serious about backing up my Windows Partition for a quick restore option.

Opt1- I'd like to confirm that (as per a previous message in this thread) that Time Machine can or can't backup a Windows partition?

Opt2- Is anyone using the latest version True Image to back up their Window Install? My understanding is that True Image 11 Home does support Virtual Machines (Window Partition) and will make an image of it. But the issue might be if Windows dies, according to Acronis because windows uses bios and Mac does not, that I would not be able to boot up a True Image backup image, that I would first have to install Windows, the TI software, and then from within Windows tell the TI to restore the partition? If you are running TI from within Windows will it be able to restore the partition you are running TI under?

Opt3- I just read this MacWorld Article regarding WinClone. Has anyone successfully restored from it? If so how would you rate it? I just downloaded it and made an image of my fresh Windows partition with W7 installed and nothing else. It seemed to go ok. I ended up with a 3.8GB image. After I get some apps installed I'll make a second image and hopefully if and when the time comes, I'll be able to restore them. It's too scary to try as an experiment. :)

Image larger than a DVD? Regarding Winclone if you end up with an image larger than the contents of 1 DVD would there be an easy way to burn it onto multiple disks but then be able to restore it back so Winclone could be used to restore the partition?

Opt4: Norton Ghost? A genius at the Apple Store told me that Ghost supports Apples eqivalent to Windows bios so a bootable Windows restore disk could be created. Anyone familiar?

Thanks guys!

12. Huntn, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Tread revival...

Well, I had this issue with Windows 7 refusing to install updates (in my Bootcamp Partition) so I bit the bullet and reinstalled it. That started at 09:50 this morning and is still going on getting stuff reinstalled at 15:06. After I'm finished with it, I'll report on how it went.

I thought I had protection with WinClone, massive failure, when it came time to step up to the plate, all it offered me was errors, "this is not the right data" or some such message.

Anyway can anyone tell me if Acronis True Image 2013 possibly now will back up the Bootcamp Partition? Last time I checked in 2011, it did not. If not, are there any other cloning programs you are aware of? Years ago I used Norton Ghost. I wonder if that is still a player?

The point is I really have better things to do with my day than a complete reconstruction of my Windows partition... Thanks! :)

13. MJL macrumors 6502a

which version of winclone? I've bought 3 and upgraded to 4 and it has been working fine - repeated restores and resizing all flawless. Perhaps you still have the old free winclone?

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Was using version 3.4 which was the current version at the time (I think). Since it failed me, I am hesitant to upgrade to version 4.

Have any new means of reliabley backing up Bootcamp Partition appeared?

15. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Clonezilla-Live has always worked for me.
    One time it didn't replace the mbr on a drive but that was easily repaired.
    As long as the backup image is verified it always restores, in my experience.