Best way to connect peripherals to MacBook Pro Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adelejjeh, Jan 25, 2016.

1. adelejjeh macrumors newbie

adelejjeh

Hi All

I have an Early-2015, 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I am looking for a good dock/docking station which can give me the following capability:
    • Connecting an ethernet cable
    • Connecting 2 DVI monitors or 1 DVI and 1 DisplayPort Monitors or atleast 1 DVI/DP and 1 HDMI monitor
    • Connecting peripharels (USB 3.0) etc...

I would appreciate any input regarding what would be a good dock for this. I have seen a lot of docks online that provide HDMI and Thunderbolt ports, however none that provide DVI/DP ports.

2. JTToft, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

JTToft macrumors 68040

- Thunderbolt ports are compatible with Mini DisplayPort and, with an adaptor, with DVI. However, most if not all of the Thunderbolt docks only support two displays if at least one of them is an actual Thunderbolt display.

Either:

a) Get two Thunderbolt docks and daisy chain them, utilising one display on each dock, or
    b) Use more than one port on your MBP, or
    c) Go all in and get something completely different such as the Henge Docks Horizontal dock.

Or, of course, replace one of your monitors with a Thunderbolt-equipped monitor.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Thunderbolt ports are also mini DP 1.2 ports....

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If a docking station is what you're looking for, then I think the Henge may be a nice solution.

5. v3nom macrumors member

AFAIK there is no TB dock that allows you to connect two (not TB) displays to it.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

8. adelejjeh thread starter macrumors newbie

adelejjeh

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your input I'll have a look at all your recommendations!