best way to future-proof audio collection if the world goes mad max

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ambientdaw, Sep 8, 2016.

1. ambientdaw macrumors member

ambientdaw

What would be the most stable way to preserve mixed format audio files for daily use?

It seems that music collectors are in a dilemma. Threats of iTunes disappearing; streaming non-ownership of music growing in popularity; LP records and CD's too big and heavy!

For health reasons ( I developed Hyperacusis [hyper-sensitivity to sound] a couple years ago) I need low-volume ambient music in my environment. It acts as a kind of white noise.

It is not uncommon to have fears of cataclysmic change in our world as it finds it's way back to balance from where it's at now. Who knows what this might mean for technology?

So how would you make sure you could play your music in formats such as .wav / ALAC / MP3, no matter what, from a portable player? Let's say for at least 10 years or so....

2. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

My solution (and many others' here) is to simply use an older iPod (I have a 4th generation iPod classic fitted with an SD card) and if you really wanted to ensure compatibility without risk of having to update your software if they were to drop support for .wav, for instance, use a dedicated older computer with an older version of iTunes that works with that older iPod still. Though it may not seem this way, older tech still has a place for many people in this modern world.

I can't see iTunes dropping support for syncing or certain file types anytime in the even near future though.

3. ambientdaw thread starter macrumors member

ambientdaw

hmmmmm.... I bought a used classic on eBay years ago. It died after a month. How to get a good one? And SD card? how does that work with an iPod?
    I DO still have my 2007 MBP...

4. nerven macrumors newbie

nerven

5. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Luckily there are still iPod batteries being sold new, as well as adapters like this that allow you to use an SD card in certain iPod models (I'm not sure on the specifics of which work with what parts, so someone else would have to give more details). Of course, any computer can use the software it came with as long as it still works, so that 2007 Pro would be fine, if there ever came a time where the current iTunes dropped functionality you needed but you also needed it for some other reason (say you needed the current iTunes to sync your new iPhone, but wanted to sync an old iPod that lost support).

Hope that made some sense. But like I said, there isn't much to worry about at this point! :)

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

So what? Your music should be on your Mac, once it's there, it's there forever.

7. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I think if the world goes "Mad Max" you will have a lot more to worry about than your music. But I must agree with the people in this thread; an older MP3 player may be your best bet.

An older iPod may sound like a good choice, but make sure you stock up on charger cables. Your continued use of the iPod depends on your ability to get 5V DC into it regularly to keep it charged.

But.. realistically if the **** hits the fan you are going to be worried more about feeding yourself and your family, and not getting robbed of the little you have, than listening to music. I don't worry about such things; I pretty much know I'm a goner in that scenario. Too damn pampered by modern life, and can't be bothered.

8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

If the world goes Mad Max, then we're back to the way things were pre-Victrola... we sing and play acoustic instruments, and make beautiful music together! We'll interact with the people next door, instead of in the next county or country.

I love these what-ifs. We worry that the cloud might go away, but don't worry about our houses burning down. We worry about changes of file format instead of what happens if the wife kicks us out and tosses our CDs in the dumpster. Every single aspect of our lives is a thread that, if pulled, might totally unravel. Or not. We rarely do a good job of determining which of those threads are at the greatest risk. More likely we assume that the newest thing is doomed and the oldest is more reliable. Though that's certainly possible, there's also a good chance that the oldest is on its last legs. (I was tempted to suggest sheet music as a preservation format, but on a cold winter night in a Mad Max world, a bit of dry paper may come in pretty handy.)

9. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Print out your music on paper. We can play music, note for note, from centuries ago because it was recorded on paper.

10. bennyf, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

bennyf macrumors regular

bennyf

And for many modern songs where there is no score, you could just take a dump on the paper and have a pretty good approximation of the sound for future generations to study.

11. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Transfer everything to wax cylinders, toss it in the trunk of your V-8 Interceptor and head for the hills.

12. pika2000 macrumors 68030

Are they already in MP3/AAC format? Then I think you are good. The only thing left is making two backups of them in two different formats (eg. hard-drive and cloud).
    And never sign up for any streaming services. Although they are great solutions for many, I believe streaming is going back to the days of locked in DRM songs (they are). We fought so hard to get digital non-DRM songs, yet people are clamoring back to DRM provider specific songs. It's kinda sad actually.

13. Cralfinsam macrumors newbie

Cralfinsam

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just saying: For streamed music, DRM is essential (otherwise everyone would stream 24/7 for one month and keep all the songs they like), and you lose nothing. You can't keep the music, but you didn't pay for keeping it.

15. Applebot1 macrumors 6502

Everything is relative...with open standards the risk is lower plus in x amount of years current formats become obsolete there will always be format conversion software. In a mad max world music is less of a concern lol

16. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

To the OP, just go and (re)watch the film Mad Max - Fury Road. Then all your fears will be assuaged.

Chrome!

17. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

18. 960design macrumors 68020

1) Good sailboat ( ~40ft )
    2) Oceanvolt - power/charging system
    3) Skywater ( for water )
    3) iPhone7 256G ( water resistant is why I recommend it ) - saving music in MP3 format
    4) Marine stereo ( something like: Jensen Marine Waterproof AM/FM/USB Compact Marine Stereo )
    5) Fishing gear ( for food )
    6) Bat ( to fight off zombies )