Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samelot628

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
I was hoping for that $225 iPhone 5s rumor to be true. Now that Apple does not sell the iPhone 5s anymore, where is the best place to get it? Obviously the prices will slowly drop in the next weeks on eBay and Swappa etc, but I don't want to have to worry about the condition of the phone. I'd like it:
  • Unlocked (obviously) and presumably GSM
  • NEW, original charger and headphones
  • Not sitting on the shelf since 2013
Other forums have linked to walmart at $200 for a straight talk phone, but these are badly locked. Any other suggestions? I mean something had to happen to all those little boxes that were in the back rooms of Apple retail stores as of Sunday!

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I was hoping for that $225 iPhone 5s rumor to be true. Now that Apple does not sell the iPhone 5s anymore, where is the best place to get it? Obviously the prices will slowly drop in the next weeks on eBay and Swappa etc, but I don't want to have to worry about the condition of the phone. I'd like it:
  • Unlocked (obviously) and presumably GSM
  • NEW, original charger and headphones
  • Not sitting on the shelf since 2013
Other forums have linked to walmart at $200 for a straight talk phone, but these are badly locked. Any other suggestions? I mean something had to happen to all those little boxes that were in the back rooms of Apple retail stores as of Sunday!

I had bought two brand new this year from Virgin Mobile, both 32GB 5Ss. The space grey was $150 plus tax, and the gold was $250 plus tax. I was able to get the space grey factory unlocked through one of the eBay unlockers, but by the time I had received the gold one, it was too late; seems Virgin Mobile "cracked down" on those unlockers.

Didn't seem they were sitting in shelves too long; the space grey has iOS 9.0.2 installed, and the gold has 8.1.3.

Virgin still sells 16GB 5S for $250, but it seems the future of unlocking them is uncertain - some ppl on Slickdeals noted that theirs came with 9.2 out of the box. The fact that I was able to get one unlocked at least shows the possibility. For the interim, I've activated the gold one on Ringplus through Sprint, until i can find another option.

Edit: forgot to note that, if you don't mind being with Virgin for a year, they would unlock your phone if you buy from them. The $250 price of the 5S includes $100 of credit that can be applied toward your next bills after the first two months.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 133
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 134
Last edited by a moderator:

samelot628

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
you can try cricket. after 6 months it will be unlocked.
I had bought two brand new this year from Virgin Mobile, both 32GB 5Ss....

Thank you both for the suggestions!

The Cricket 6 month policy is nice compared to others at 1 year. Looking at Virgin's policy it seems they will unlock any time for $50 (obviously one would do this after 2 months plus the included $100 credit, so say 4 or 5 months). To other readers of this discussion: the two options seem roughly equal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.