Best way to Learn OSX?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ELab2, Jun 10, 2009.

1. ELab2 macrumors newbie

I'm new to Mac and have only played with Leopard for a short period of time on a friend;s MBP and at Best Buy and such. I usually learn new electronics by playing with them but OS X is such a departure from Windows and I know there are so many different little cool tricks that I think that it would be a pretty dumb way to go about learning in this case.

What would you recommend I do to learn how to use Leopard in and out whether it be a book, Apple's own guides, Apple's tutorial videos, or 3rd party tutorial guides or videos?

Thank you in advance.

2. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Apples videos on their site are free and pretty fun to watch so I'd start there. Chances are you'll learn most of what you need within the first week or two by just playing around. The more advanced stuff will come over time. I'm not really sure if it's necessary to go out a purchase a book.

A useful tool to look for settings is the Spotlight search.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can learn a lot by reading through the forums, particularly the Leopard tips thread. You can also check out websites like macosxhints.com which usually has some interesting articles.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Go to a bookstore and spend some time in there reading about Leopard.

5. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    There's always the guides here on MacRumors, as well... ;)

6. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

The way I learnt was by playing around with it. Looking and clicking on stuff and pretty much seeing what happens :-D
    It's quite easy to use, and I think it is much more easier than using Windows, since it is all graphical. Also, asking someone who is familiar with OSX (either in life or on a forum) is good too, helps you understand more!

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly