Best way to setup Gmail on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by creativedogmedia, Jul 3, 2011.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

The way I understand it is if I setup Gmail through the Gmail setting on the iPhone, I can delete messages from the device (and that also deletes from my actual account) but email is not push. If I set it up like an exchange account I can get push email but can't delete emails from my device....is there a 3rd option or is this pretty much it?

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I keep hearing about people saying they can't delete mail from their iPhone via Google ActiveSync. I do it daily with no problems.

I'd say for you to set it up as stated by Google themselves.

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Set up like microsoft exchange. Google has an article up about it (see above posters link). Works great for me! I get my emails instantly! Faster than SMS messages!

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I just set mine up through the standard mail app. Works fine for me!

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

You won't get push notifications that way you will only get fetch which is fine if you don't need/want push but I like push. For some responding immediately to an email in a business scenario or other looks very professional not to mention just convenient.

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

If you set up multiple Gmail accounts via Exchange and have them all push, does it take a serious toll on battery life? Does pushing additional accounts mean that much more battery drain?

I have three separate emails I'd like to set up with push.

7. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I would guess and say it would depend on how much email you get. Me? I would only set up my primary/most important email as push and set the others to fetch every 15 minutes. I get about 5-10 emails a day idk how that ranks with others but I have never had battery draining issues even with 3 accounts fetching every 15 minutes...

8. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

gmail through exchange works very good, except for deleting messages. "deleting" archives it. so i just use web version to delete msgs.

9. androiphone macrumors 65816

log on to gmail on your computer and create a new lable called something like: 'To be deleted'

then set up gmail on your iphone as Exchange

then when you want to delete an email on your iphone, simply move the email to the 'To be deleted' folder.

then when you next log into gmail on a computer, select that label use the tickbox to 'select all' email in that label and 'delete'

simples :cool:

10. Mav3067 macrumors member

This is true, but if you want to delete a message you don't have to use the web version, just move it to the trash folder.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

This is because you have it set to archive your deleted messages. Its a simple setting, you just have to turn off the auto expunge. Follow these steps.

1. Log into gmail and go to mail settings.
    2. Click on the Forwarding Pop/Imap tab.
    3. Enable IMAP
    4. Set Auto-Expunge to OFF
    5. Set "Immediately delete the message forever"
    6. Click on Save Changes button.

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I have 3 email accounts all set up to push via Exchnge - two Gmail accounts and one work Exchange account - and I don't notice any battery issues at all.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Mine works through push. I have three different e-mail addresses that are in my mail app on my iPhone. Yahoo, Gmail, and Live. They all push just fine. :D

14. Jigga macrumors 6502

Didn't work for me. :confused:

15. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I just added my two Gmail accounts to the default mail app using the "Gmail" option when you go to add a new account. Seems to work just fine. I get all of my emails...

16. Jigga macrumors 6502

Not pushed.

17. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

What do you mean by that? I don't get it instantly? I have my phone check for emails every hour. That is about as instantly as I need them... plus every time you open the mail app within the hour, the app will check for mail again.

18. Jigga macrumors 6502

Right, that works for you. Some people like it when it's pushed.

19. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

Wrong, moving the message to the Trash folder Archives it. Not only does Google confirm this on their chart, I've tested it.

Only way I've found to actually put the message in Gmail's trash is what Google says. First you "delete" the email on the iPhone. This Archives the message. Now, go to All Mail and delete the email there...this move it to Gmail's trash.

Not exactly efficient.

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This doesn't work. I tried it and it still archived emails. I deleted Exchange and just went with the regular Gmail setup. I have it set to push which rarely ever works so now I'll switch to fetch for my 3 accounts.

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I wish you could use the non-exchange method to have Push Gmail, but the truth is, can you not just use Fetch 15 minutes? Do you need to receive your emails in less than 15 minutes max, are they that crucial? lol

22. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I set mine to hourly. 15 minutes is not that crucial to me.

23. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I just use the normal IMAP sync to every hour and it works fine.

24. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Or do as I do and keep a safari page open with gmail. Check what you want to delete and hit the trash icon. Gone.