Best way to sync my iMac with my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cyberbro, Dec 27, 2013.

1. cyberbro macrumors member

cyberbro

What would be the best way to sync my iMac with my Macbook Pro for iPhoto and iTunes?

Ultimately I would like to make changes to my iMac (like add pictures and music, deleted items and so on) to just my iMac and then have all the changes sync to my laptop somehow. Im trying to avoid a big bill each year with the cloud as well.

I just got a Time Capsule if that has a way to do that.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try Google Drive. It has 15GB of cloud storage so it is not totally LAN dependent. Alternatively use the Time Capsule to store the libraries and point both Macs to it.

4. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

use software to sync the folders between two computers

FreeFileSync

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well, just move the iPhoto and iTunes libraries to the Time Capsule.

Then, on both the iMac and MBP, hold down Option when opening either iPhoto or iTunes. You'll then be prompted to select the relevant library.

6. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    Exactly this. There is little reason to have both computers share a single file stored on a time capsule when you can have iCloud automatically update and sync music and pictures between computers, iPhones and iPads.

7. cyberbro thread starter macrumors member

cyberbro

But would iCloud also sync all my photos and all my music?
    Its about 110 GB as well as preferences like if I uncheck (not delete) a music file will it then be unchecked on all devices?

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

That's the problem. That's why I said to move the iPhoto and iTunes libraries to a Time Capsule and refer my earlier post in the thread for the rest of the steps.

Don't use cloud syncing, you'll run out of space quickly.

9. phobos macrumors regular

For iPhoto and iTunes synching there's no better and hassle free method than iCloud and iTunes Match.
    I have a 75gb plan for I cloud and the 25 dollar plan for iTunes Match.
    If you have a music library of more than 25000 songs though the iTunes Match is useless for you. Unfortunately big libraries aren't supported.

And iCloud I think doesn't go higher than 100GB

So if you don't want to go through the trouble of cleaning up some of your old photographs than probably you should check out a different method.
    But just to let you know for the thing you want your computers to do iCloud and iTunes Match is perfect.

10. graley macrumors regular

Move files mac to mac

I am probably too late on this, but...
    Google "copy music mac to mac". Read how to do it using home sharing with two macs Ethernet connected.
    For photos, drag copy the iPhoto library file in the pictures folder one mac to the other. Slow but it works.
    For later changes, I am sorry. The only way I know is to copy manually each new music or photo from master mac to the other.