Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy83

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Read a number of differant ways of teathering there seems to be alot of differan methods out there. So can someone let me know the best hack out there?

Iam on 3.1.2 3G handset

Thanks

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2009
Read a number of differant ways of teathering there seems to be alot of differan methods out there. So can someone let me know the best hack out there?

Iam on 3.1.2 3G handset

Thanks

native tethering is the best way..

go into cydia and look for 3.1.2 tweaks then choose 3GS and install then after you install go to

http://www.benm.at/help/help.php and install your MOBILE CONFIG

restart and BAM internet tethering ..go to settings>general>network >internet tethering ...you HAVE to have you iphone connected with usb and bluetooth..

this method WONT work on 3g only 3gs

oppps

ok use pdanet.. if you add the xsellize source you can get it for free.. go to cydia and hit manage then sources .then edit then add and add this source .. cydia.xsellize.com

jw12345678

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I second PdaNet with a jailbroken iPhone.

Although at the moment I use native tethering having downgraded back to 3.0.1 (and 4.26.08) because the 5.11 baseband upgrade stopped the phone working properly.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I believe PDANet is the best way; using PDANet it is not possible for AT&T to discover that you are tethering, whereas they can detect native tethering and could (potentially) insist that you add a tethering plan or cancel your contract. I have never heard of them doing this, but it is theoretically possible within the scope of the contract.

TeamDNA

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2009
I believe PDANet is the best way; using PDANet it is not possible for AT&T to discover that you are tethering, whereas they can detect native tethering and could (potentially) insist that you add a tethering plan or cancel your contract. I have never heard of them doing this, but it is theoretically possible within the scope of the contract.

They cannot detect native tethering ... PDAnet is NOT the way to go if you have a 3GS .. people get so paranoid over nothing .. last month i used 4GB of data and this month i am close to that..i Stream alot of tv shows and movies ..and with PDAnet.. the connection cuts in and out and pdanet is really slow compaired to native tethering on 3gs . believe me if your on a 3gs USE native tethering ..

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I also suggest native tethering.

Create a profile, or use a custom IPCC file if you are on 3.1.2 and use BlackRa1n to JB

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
They cannot detect native tethering ... PDAnet is NOT the way to go if you have a 3GS .. people get so paranoid over nothing .. last month i used 4GB of data and this month i am close to that..i Stream alot of tv shows and movies ..and with PDAnet.. the connection cuts in and out and pdanet is really slow compaired to native tethering on 3gs . believe me if your on a 3gs USE native tethering ..

Do you have anything beyond an anecdote to prove your assertion that AT&T cannot detect native tethering? I think it's pretty clear that AT&T could tell by examining the IP headers whether you were using tethering or not. Remember, I did not say that they do or will, only that they could. The fact that you have used tethering without issue is not dispositive; that they haven't does not mean that they couldn't, especially as they are now offering tethering plans.

I am not familiar with the issues you have cited with PDANet; I have used it on my 3GS without any of the issues you describe and with very good speeds, similar to what I get with native tethering. Your mileage may vary, of course, but PDANet works very well for me.

Finally, I'm not sure why you are so upset about this. I am not telling you you that you have to use PDANet, I am just offering solicited advice to the OP, the best advice I can give him. There is no reason to get upset or to shout; I'm as entitled to my opinion as you are to yours.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
The best way to tether is the native tethering with MiWi AND ITS FREE!

Here is what you do:
1) Install Rock App off of Cydia
2) Open RockApp and Download and install MiWi 3.2.4 (It's the free 7 day trial)
3) Run the MyWi App (This is how you get native tethering)
4) Reboot your iPhone
5) Go to settings > network and make sure the internet tethering option is still there
6) SSH into your iPhone and go into the Applications folder and DELETE the MyWi.App and Rock.app (username: root password: alpine)
7) Restart your iPhone
8) The option to tether should still be there.

Even though you only downloaded the trial, since you deleted it, it pretty much hacked your iphone to enable tethering. If you completely uninstall MyWi through cydia or Rockapp, it will uninstall the hack that it provided for tethering. So it's very important to SSH into your phone and delete them manually. I have done this about almost a month ago and tethering is still active and running perfectly and it's native. Native is so much better than PdANet.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I am traveling abroad and will use another sim with my phone. Will I be able to use miwi as a wifi router without having to figure out what the native tethering setting are for the network I am on?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Woudl perfer to get native tethering working

Then using the Benm alternative is best.

1. Go to Cydia
2. Install repository iFoneguide.nl
3. Install tethering patch (3G or 3GS depends which one you own)
4. Go to http://help.benm.at
5. Look for MobileConfiguration
6. Install the carrier bundle that best suits you (here in the US either T-Mobile or AT&T)
7. Go to Settings => General => Reset => Reset Network Settings
8. iPhone reboots
9. Go to Settings => General => Network => Internet Tethering... turn off/on on Bleutooth or USB.
10. ????
11. PROFIT!

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009

Here is what you do:
4) Reboot your iPhone
5) Go to settings > network and make sure the internet tethering option is still there
6) SSH into your iPhone and go into the Applications folder and DELETE the MyWi.App and Rock.app (username: root password: alpine)
7) Restart your iPhone

Even though you only downloaded the trial, since you deleted it, it pretty much hacked your iphone to enable tethering. If you completely uninstall MyWi through cydia or Rockapp, it will uninstall the hack that it provided for tethering. So it's very important to SSH into your phone and delete them manually. I have done this about almost a month ago and tethering is still active and running perfectly and it's native. Native is so much better than PdANet.

This worked perfectly! I tried the benm hack and it did enable tethering, but it messed up all kinds of stuff (VVM, 3G and Wifi). Thanks for the tip!

mikeb13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009

Here is what you do:
4) Reboot your iPhone
7) Restart your iPhone

This worked for me. Thank you.

Here's a link that explains what to do after you open MyWi (step 3).

http://www.iphoneheat.com/2009/10/how-to-enable-tethering-on-iphone-os-3-1-2/

Also, use WinSCP to SSH into your phone. http://www.iphoneheat.com/2009/09/how-to-ssh-into-iphone-ipod-touch-using-winscp/

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
Then using the Benm alternative is best.

1. Go to Cydia
2. Install repository iFoneguide.nl
3. Install tethering patch (3G or 3GS depends which one you own)
4. Go to http://help.benm.at
5. Look for MobileConfiguration
6. Install the carrier bundle that best suits you (here in the US either T-Mobile or AT&T)
7. Go to Settings => General => Reset => Reset Network Settings
8. iPhone reboots
9. Go to Settings => General => Network => Internet Tethering... turn off/on on Bleutooth or USB.
10. ????
11. PROFIT!

I fail to see how this complex method is better than installing the MyWi trial and then delete it. What could be easier??

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
PDAnet has had reports of heating up and killing batteries. I have used PDAnet on a 3G phone without problems. MyWi is supposed to be better. But both cost money for full access. Once jailbroken, go to Cydia and look for Enable tethering for 3GS from SiNful iPhone Repo.

Native tethering. Works very well and is free and easy. Does not require multiple steps and registering somewhere else, etc.

crazymexx

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
I fail to see how this complex method is better than installing the MyWi trial and then delete it. What could be easier??

ADD: http://www.sinfuliphonerepo.com under repo in cydia

then install depending on which iphone you have the tethering unlock for 3.1.2.

Then goto categories and there should be one fore Sinful iPhone.
Mine is Tethering unlock for 3GS 3.1.2 install and reset network settings after install. Then you will have have tethering like 3.0.

enjoy!!! no 3rd party apps like Mywi required

mikeb13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Here are slightly more detailed instructions on how to tether. Again big thanks goes to Maverick.

Here is what you do:
2) Open RockApp and Download and install MyWi 3.2.4 (It's the free 7 day trial). You will have to create a free account before you can download MyWi.
3) Now open MyWi and turn the USB/Bluetooth Tethering options ON.
4) Reboot your iPhone
6) SSH into your iPhone (use WinSCP) and go into the Applications folder and DELETE the MyWi.App and Rock.app (username: root password: alpine). This will remove the icons off your iphone but they will still be installed in Cydia.
7) Restart your iPhone
9) Connect USB cable to iphone and computer.
10) To test if tethering is working: Turn off wifi on computer and iphone. Turn on Tethering option in Settings -> General -> Network -> Tethering.
11) You should see a blue bar on the top of the iphone labeled Internet Tethering. Your computer should now be able to connect to the internet thru your iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.