Best way to upgrade my hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techlover828, Feb 22, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new hard drive for my MBP as 120gb isn't really cutting it for me. So, I'm probably going to get this one (unless anyone has had any serious problems with this one). I'm trying to figure out the best way to move all of my files. I don't really want to just copy everything, I'd rather just take my apps, docs, music, etc. so would you guys just recommend dragging all of those files onto an external hard drive and then drag them back onto the new drive once I've installed leopard on it? If so, which folders would I need to take, I don't want to forget any.

Anyway, just looking for your thoughts before I make the move, thanks for your help!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you're going to put the 120 into an external drive, you can use it to Migrate after you do a new Leopard install. You can select just your data or do all your apps and related system items.

3. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

I wasn't planning on doing that, but I guess I could buy a small external and use it as a travel hard drive, not a bad idea.

Also, does anyone have any experience replacing the MBP's hard drive? If so give me some tips/feedback, was it hard? Edit: I was planning on using ifixit's guide.

thanks again for the help

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I did this to my MacBook Pro, the upgrade is fairly easy to do, however keep in mind that you have to take the top of the case off.. takes about 15 mins and requires 1 special torq (sp?) driver. OWC actually has a nice video showing how to do it. I upgraded to the Hitachi 7k200 (7200 rpm 200gb) and it is noticeably faster than the stock 120gb drive. They also sell a nice case (about 34$ for USB version) as well.

Best of luck.

5. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Was there much change in battery life or heat?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's not hard to replace the drive, just a bit tedious. There are quite a few tiny screws in the case. The iFixIt guide is good. Make sure you have a quality phillips, though. The dress screws can be easily damaged.

I swapped my 160 for the Hitachi 200 7200RPM just before Leopard arrived. Noticeably quicker.

7. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

did you guys notice any increase in heat or decrease in battery life?

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

To be honest, I haven't put a huge amount of time on it while on battery (or even using the MBP open - most of the time, lately, it's been in clamshell mode hooked to an ACD). But, the specs are virtually identical or less than the 160 (IIRC). It's as quiet or quieter than the 160GB, too.

9. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

If you get a FW external disk case for the old hard drive you can do the whole target mode thing to migrate the installation to the new drive. Very handy. The FW/USB cases are a little more expensive than the USB only cases but are worth it for a Mac user.

I helped a friend put a 320GB drive in his MBP, the above advice is solid. The only thing I would add is to track where each screw came from, they all look like they are the same size but they aren't.

10. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

ya I was thinking I'd print out the pages where you need to remove screws and just put them on the page they go with.