Best wireless router for Macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by youngsunnz, Feb 19, 2011.

1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

What is the best wireless router for a Mac? I bought two different netgears and they are all rangemax and are pretty expensive and my macs are barely catching the signal. Do netgears and macs not go together to well? How about linksys? My house is about 5,000sq ft two stories. Thank you for the help.

My mac isnt the only device that barely catches the signal my iphone and my wifes iphone catch like a bar while our mac catch two bars.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Perhaps you need to move your access point closer to where you typically use your devices, or hardwire those device with ethernet ports. Netgears work just fine with Macs.

3. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

I cant the house is old I will have to drill a hole and put the cable in another spot and thats too much work

4. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I have Netgear wi-fi routers, and except for an oddball one I purchased remfg from a closeout, they all work well. In my case, well=G, in nearly all of a 2-story house, about 2,800sf. There are several factors affecting W-Fi connectivity, but without seeing your house I suspect you'll need 2+ "access points." I don't necessarily mean products called Access Points, but devices (routers, PowerLine's, bridges, etc) that can xmit/rcv wi-fi signals from more than one location off your LAN.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have a Netgear router and have no issues. On my old laptop, I would get 6-12 Mb/s but on my Mac, in the same spot, I get 21Mb/s.

No issues.

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

7. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

Well before someone tells you to buy a ABES ($179)... just get a decent Netgear with N and it should work fine.

No need to spend $180 on a router when a $70 router will do the job.

8. DMR440 macrumors newbie

Best Wireless Router for Macs

the netgear should work fine. so would a linksys or a d-link.

9. HowThoughtFul macrumors newbie

Got a Netgear here.

I've got a Netgear N600 N router. Works perfect with Macs and Windows PCs on the same network. It's around $95 now here in Canada. Used to use a Belkin G router that slowed down a lot if even just one person was watching a streaming video.

Hope this helps a bit. I guess I only confirmed that in fact Netgears work alright.

10. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your help guys, actually for some reason this morning I have full signal at the area im sitting. (same place as yesterday when I had two bars.) Did I have to give it some time to warm up get ready and break in? My iphone 4 is also getting a signal which was not getting any yesterday and now i Have a bar but it works pretty fast. I also have a netgear n600

11. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

No way you can move the router up higher on the wall or something? I have trouble with wifi range and have yet to find a working solution, drives me crazy!

12. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

If i was to upgrade my internet service plan to more mbps will it affect my wifi signal strength to being stronger or will it not matter?

13. kohlson macrumors 6502a

>>>If i was to upgrade my internet service plan to more mbps will it affect my wifi signal strength to being stronger or will it not matter?

Upping the plan (speed) should have no effect on the wireless aspect of your connection, especially in range/strength.

The flakey NTGR router I referred to earlier is a dual-band, N300, ADSL2+ Modem Router (DGND3300), that should blow the doors off the WPN 824 it was to replace.And for the moments it connected, it did. But it had a persistent tendency to drop signals and go offline. The range went from the entire house at better speeds to barely covering the room it was in. I swapped it back out - I am of the philosophy that moderate consistent connections are better than any form of intermittent ones.

Sounds like you want some form of range extenders (separate units that are placed strategically around the house. Remember, masonry and metal block 100% of radio waves (though MIMO enables them to "bounce around" some objects; dual-paned windows (especially those which are coated) reflect 90% of radio waves, and wood blocks 40%. Think refrigerators, stoves, ducts, fireplaces. I don't seem to notice a lot of difference between lathe and plaster and sheetrock, at least in our place. Oh, and your neighbor could be hogging the airwaves (or not).

Making this work is a time vs. money issue (isn't everything?). You may want to pick up a couple of Airport Express units to extend the range. They're easy to use, but they cost a bit more and don't cover an entire floor. The 2.4 Band (G and B) usually has better range, but lower speed than the 5GHz band signals such as N (a physics thing).

14. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, this was the most helpful comment yet. My house is very old about 4,000 sqft and made out of concrete which has metal rods in it im guessing. Will the airport express be compatible with netgear n600?

15. DMR440 macrumors newbie

I do know that the airport express works well with the dlink. Not sure about Netgear though.

16. Sirolway macrumors 6502

You should look at HomePlug networking as well - I use HomePlug for anything stationary & wifi only for the iPhone / anything mobile

I've tried a few different HomePlug makes - Devolo seem pretty reliable & they do nice units that have additional wifi access points as well as the HomePlug network...