iPad mini BestBuy iPad Mini $299 with $100 Gift Card

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Its a nice deal, though too bad its not been extended to the rMini. For those looking for a small tablet this makes the iPad Mini more appealing however.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Interesting. I guess I didn't realize that they had space gray for this model (thought just white and slate). I may get one for my son.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
They announced the new Space Gray 1st generation iPad Mini during the October Media Event.
Thanks. Any advantages functionally of the newer space gray version over the slate for iPad Mini 1?

EDH667

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
Thanks. Any advantages functionally of the newer space gray version over the slate for iPad Mini 1?
I believe it has the same internals but the Space Gray may be a little less fingerprint prone and it also matches the newer models of the Air and rMini.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
The only thing that changed was the color of the outer shell from slate to space grey. Other than that it is the same iPad mini inside. The color was changed for consistency in the product lines.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Nice find OP, thanks for posting!

BBY gift card isn't as useful to me as a Walmart GC but it sure beats standing in line. Picked one up as a potential gift for a family member.

Go in via shopdiscover.com for additional 5% if you have a Discover card.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Real nice deal... Added it my shopping card... I just couldn't do it. Not for the first gen for me. Damn it... MUST RESIST....

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
ot for the first gen for me. Damn it... MUST RESIST....
I struggled with that too... Coming from a cellular ipad3 it'd be really difficult to go to a non-retina wifi-only ipad...

But it's a great deal, and they allow for in-store pickup so no shipping and no waiting in line on Thanksgiving night.

So I bought one as a gift for a family member. :D

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I snagged one, no brainer for me as I also get a $25 cash back from American Express for buying $250 or more from Best Buy. :cool:

I'll use the $100 GC towards the purchase of an Xbox One.

EDIT: Does this come with iOS 6?

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
I just bought one to give as a Christmas gift. Sure it's not the powerhouse that the new retina model is, but for $200 less (including GC) it's a really nice deal. And for those that only use an iPad for light duty and/or for kids, it will do the job just fine.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I just bought one to give as a Christmas gift. Sure it's not the powerhouse that the new retina model is, but for $200 less (including GC) it's a really nice deal. And for those that only use an iPad for light duty and/or for kids, it will do the job just fine.
I was thinking exactly the same. Good enough for my kid. Was considering the $100 Kindle Fire HD 7" (previous gen) as well. Twice as much at $100 more may be worth it though.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I picked up a space gray model. Got the email from Best Buy this morning and will pick it up this afternoon (as I pass by those poor slobs sleeping on the sidewalk outside of BestBuy.)

creed16

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
I picked up two for my kids. I was already planning on getting them- just at Walmart. Actually, I would have preferred the WM gift card as I'm done shopping at Best Buy for Christmas, but I could not resist the idea of not waiting in line or at least dodging the stampedes at WM tomorrow. I do wish they would hand over the gift card instead of having to mail it. Does anyone know what they do if gift card gets lost or stolen in the mail? I'm going to ask when picking up in store later. That just has me worried.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Whats the return policy on something like this? Is the sale final that they give special deal???
I didn't see anything to suggest the return policy is any different from normal. Holiday returns until Jan 15 I believe, check the policy specifics at BestBuy.com

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Whats the return policy on something like this? Is the sale final that they give special deal???
I believe returns now are extended till Jan 31st. The only thing is they will probably deduct the $100 GC from the amount unless you bring it with you in the sealed envelope when it arrives. It's best to ask when you pickup your mini.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I believe returns now are extended till Jan 31st.
Bestbuy website says 15th of January.

Moot point for anyone who hasn't ordered yet; SOLD OUT now it seems. Doesn't even look like you can order for in-store pickup.

double329

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Thank god, it sold out... I was adding this to my shopping cart twice :eek: I went all the way to place order... then chicken out :D

sheaitisnotso

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
Damn this sucks. They were all sold out here within a 2 hour radius of Columbus, OH so I was waiting for my parents to wake up in California and see if they could pick it up for me over there. I knew I shouldn't have waited for them to wake up before placing my order lol.

tritonv3pro

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2013
Texas
Picked up a few as gifts

I went in to Best buy and grabbed the last 5 that they had. I plan on giving these away as gifts, to those relatives that don't even know what a retina display is (i.e my 1 year old daughter, my parents and in laws. Plus I can use the gift cards for whatever else I might want. There was no limit to the # you could purchase in store.

The BBY associates didn't even know about the promo.

sheaitisnotso

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
Damn this sucks. They were all sold out here within a 2 hour radius of Columbus, OH so I was waiting for my parents to wake up in California and see if they could pick it up for me over there. I knew I shouldn't have waited for them to wake up before placing my order lol.
Good news, they're still available in some stores, I got my parents to go to BB right when they opened up and they were able to get one.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
NJ
I grabbed two of them this morning. I did it online as the footnotes said 2 browser sessions. So I did one order, then filled up my basket w/ the same color and did it over again. Looks like both will ship - one actually already did and the other is still in 'preparing to ship'. I think I'm golden as I completed my orders around 6:30 EST.

They will be for my two daughters, 6 & 8.

The $200 worth of gift cards? They are going towards Daddy's retina iPad mini next month !!! :p