BestBuy matching Educational discount?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macjolt, Jun 29, 2012.

1. macjolt macrumors member

Has anyone had any luck with getting Best Buy to match the $200 educational discount on a rMBP? Did you have to do any sort of convincing, or did you just walk in and they gave it to you?

Did you have to bring any proof?

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What would be the advantage in buying from BestBuy, instead of buying directly to Apple with the education discount?

3. macjolt thread starter macrumors member

There are numerous BestBuys in my surrounding area that have them in stock without me having to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That makes sense. Why not call a local BestBuy and ask them if they match the edu discount and what proof, if any, they require? Even if someone had no problem at their local store, that doesn't mean you'll necessarily have the same experience with yours. A quick phone call is the most effective way to find out.

5. macjolt thread starter macrumors member

I plan to once I get out of work but I figured I'd get a head start :D

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Several users have posted that Best Buy matched the educational discount and also included a Best Buy gift card.

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Also some people might have gift cards from Best Buy that they would want to use. :rolleyes:

8. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Hello, I bought my rMBP from Best Buy, I got them to match the $1,999 price point but they wouldn't match the $100 gift card. Worth it to skip the wait for me though.

9. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

i called them about doing it online and they dont match it online.... :mad:

10. macjolt thread starter macrumors member

Yea I know they don't price match online since it's technically a different "department".

Good to hear about one person getting the match. Did you have to bring any kind of proof with you?

11. mmberry1 macrumors member

mmberry1

Best Buy Price Match

I bought my retina macbook pro a week ago and they matched the $200 student discount and gave me another $100 off to match the iTunes gift card. I can tell you though that getting the extra $100 was hard, I had to talk to a manager to get it to work out. Don't forget you also get reward zone points on the purchase too.

12. importraverxx macrumors member

They will do the 200 for sure. I just bought a 2nd retina mbp. The first one i bought about 2 weeks ago, i was able to get 200 and 150 gift card. Despite how hard i try this time, showing receipt and everything, they only do 200 =\

But yeah, if you dont care about the gift card then you will have no problem as most of the stores are well informed by now.

13. dsciel macrumors regular

anyone else able to get giftcards along with$200?

14. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387242

15. chuck41520 macrumors newbie

Yes!

I ventured to a local Best Buy in a state that has no sales tax. Not only did I not have to pay sales tax but upon asking if they price matched the apple price all I had to do was show them the apple site with educational pricing! Boom! $200 off my shiny new Macbook Pro Retina!

Typing this happily from my new MBPR

avoiding Sandy in the northeast. :)